PDA

View Full Version : Felser says Euhus only tight end with "downfield speed"

John Doe
06-28-2004, 11:16 AM
The Bills have a number of varieties of tight ends on their roster, but the only one with downfield speed is rookie Tim Euhus of Oregon State. He bears watching at St. John Fisher.

Felser (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040627/1026801.asp?tbd1026801.asp)

What does this say about Peters? Is there a difference between "striaghtline" speed and "downfield" speed?

He also also opines

My guess is that the top draft choice, wide receiver Lee Evans, will be in the starting lineup by the first preseason game.

Jan Reimers
06-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Peters is "fast" only for a 300 pounder. I think Euhus runs a much quicker 40.

mypoorfriendme
06-28-2004, 12:59 PM
not to mention the advantage peters has with intertia and momentum. ill take euhus in the open field, but ill take peters in the hole of a zone.

juice
06-28-2004, 02:51 PM
I'd rather have a TE who can make the 5 yd reception and carry momentum foward for another 3 or 4 yds to set up 3rd and short situations.. We can leave the deep downfield routes to Moulds and Evans.

In the ball control offense TE can be used as an outlet reciever.. Reed will also play into the mix as a posession reciever.

HenryRules
06-28-2004, 05:10 PM
Why is everyone more excited about Peters than Euhus?

We drafted Euhus and my guess is he's the only one of the two that dresses for a game for us this year.

If Peters was such an intruiging prospect, he would not have been passed over 250+ times in the draft.

Tatonka
06-28-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

We drafted Euhus and my guess is he's the only one of the two that dresses for a game for us this year.

If Peters was such an intruiging prospect, he would not have been passed over 250+ times in the draft.

3 TEs will dress every game.

HenryRules
06-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

3 TEs will dress every game.

I meant Euhus was the only one of Peters and Euhus that would dress.

Campbell and Neufield I think will be the other 2.

The_Philster
06-28-2004, 06:25 PM

probably because he was one of the highlights of mini-camp...huge with a good amount of speed

HenryRules
06-28-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

probably because he was one of the highlights of mini-camp...huge with a good amount of speed

Haven't people learned by now that mini-camp means nothing?

Mini-camp is a time for learning not winning a job.

The Spaz
06-28-2004, 07:14 PM
Haven't people learned by now that mini-camp means nothing?

Mini-camp is a time for learning not winning a job.

Yeah they mean nothing but wouldn't you want him doing well as opposed to ****ty?!:idunno:

HenryRules
06-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

Yeah they mean nothing but wouldn't you want him doing well as opposed to ****ty?!:idunno:

Actually - it really doesn't matter to me, as long as the effort is there.

Making mistakes is a part of learning. If he's not looking bad, maybe he's not pushing himself? You can go back and forth on it.

For example, our DTs could look great if they went against Pucillo all day long, but it doesn't mean they're improving.

Was that the situation with Peters ... probably not. But either way, let something real happen before getting excited.

The_Philster
06-28-2004, 07:36 PM
Actually - it really doesn't matter to me, as long as the effort is there.

Making mistakes is a part of learning. If he's not looking bad, maybe he's not pushing himself? You can go back and forth on it.

For example, our DTs could look great if they went against Pucillo all day long, but it doesn't mean they're improving.

Was that the situation with Peters ... probably not. But either way, let something real happen before getting excited.

All we have so far is mini-camp, though...that's the point. Peters looked good in mini-camp so that's what we get hyped up about...it's the offseason..we don't have anything else to go off of. :idunno:

John Doe
06-28-2004, 07:58 PM
I just like hearing that Euhus has shown some ability to go deep. I thought the Evans comment was interesting as well - thinking that he will win the job outright before the first preseason game. I am hard pressed to remember an offseason where the Bills picked up so much quality speed with those 2 plus (effectively) McGahee.

juice
06-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Peters opens different avenues with his size and gives you lineman size at TE for goalline formations and a quick dupp passes.. that will give you a 7-10 yard gain any time it is completed.. all he has to do is fall foward and little Zack Thomas is goin for a ride.

Goobylal
06-28-2004, 08:41 PM
Peters should make an impact if only for his blocking. At his size and speed, he should prove to be a tremendous blocker. However he's also shown soft hands. Whether he can learn to run good routes is another matter, but some people have made their living as just a blocking TE, and at worst you make him into an OL.

Throne Logic
06-28-2004, 09:47 PM
I just wanna see Zack Thomas trying to tackle Peters in full sprint.

heh, heh