PDA

View Full Version : So, assuming Bledsoe really, really sucks to start the season...

lordofgun
06-30-2004, 07:09 PM
...when do we put JP in the game?

If Bledsoe is just playing ok: I say as soon as we are out of playoff contention, JP goes in immediately.

If Bledsoe really, really blows: Pull bledsoe after 4-6 games at the most if it's obvious that Bledsoe is not improving.

I was listening to John Elway on NFL Network last night, and he said that a QB can not learn enough just sitting on the bench. There's going to be growing pains, and as soon as nothing is at stake, put him in!

So really, I would give Bledsoe 4 games to prove he can get the job done.

Thoughts? :oj:

The_Philster
06-30-2004, 07:17 PM
I'm thinking along the same lines as you. However, whether or not Bledsoe plays well, we get Losman in there as much as we can whenever the game looks like it's pretty much won. The Oilers did the right thing as far as bringing along McNair, IMO. They gave him playing time intermittently the first season...giving him enough that he was learning, but no so much that he was overwhelmed.

Dozerdog
06-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Well, duh..Elway was the biggest primadonna as a rookie- using the Yankmees and a holdout to get his crybaby way to get moved to Denverwhen the Colts drafted him. Of course he thought he was God's gift to QB's as a rookie. Guess what- he still sucked that year. He's lucky to have had an old but knowledgeable Craig Morton to teach him.

Denver gave up a king's ransome for him so they were forced to play him early. It does not suprise me about his comments.

I want the best QB playing, period. Right now, JP just does not have the experience. I am not willing to sacrifice wins to get him that experience. But as Earthquake Enyart always says- you can lose with anyone. If we are losing- put him in.

Dozerdog
06-30-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
I'm thinking along the same lines as you. However, whether or not Bledsoe plays well, we get Losman in there as much as we can whenever the game looks like it's pretty much won. The Oilers did the right thing as far as bringing along McNair, IMO. They gave him playing time intermittently the first season...giving him enough that he was learning, but no so much that he was overwhelmed.

Good point- I wonder if the Bills might try to get some quick scores if they get up in a game to bring garbage time a bit sooner.

lordofgun
06-30-2004, 07:22 PM
I just hope we're not destined for another 8-8 season with Bledsoe in command, and JP having no more playing experience than he does now.

That would be the worst possible scenario, IMO.

Kelly The Dog
06-30-2004, 07:26 PM
Well, in the four seasons that Drew has been a Bill (The season he was great, the season he was great and then sucked, the season he may have been great but sucked because everyone else sucked, and the season he sucked because he sucks, Drew started them all out on fire... so he likely will again... because he sucks or is great.

Dozerdog
06-30-2004, 07:27 PM
Does Wyche & Clements have a history of letting QB talent waste away on the bench?

For that matter, does TD have a history of aquiring players then letting them rot away?

saviorbledsoe
06-30-2004, 08:27 PM
Holy Christ nice outlook on this upcoming season....maybe just maybe we could do better than 8 and 8?
And who knows actually win a championship with Drew. Nah you are right lets mail it in now.

THATS WHY THEY PLAY THE GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lordofgun
06-30-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
Holy Christ nice outlook on this upcoming season....maybe just maybe we could do better than 8 and 8?
And who knows actually win a championship with Drew. Nah you are right lets mail it in now.

Dude, you really need to calm down. :rolleyes:

It's a hypothetical. Obviously, we're all hoping Drew leads us to the Super Bowl. :up:

TigerJ
06-30-2004, 08:52 PM
If Drew really really blows, I would probably start Travis Brown until midseason. If Brown lights up the scoreboard he gets to stay there. If he is no better than ordinary, JP gets his shot at midseason.

Jan Reimers
07-01-2004, 06:07 AM
I think Bledsoe plays until a playoff birth is decided. If we're in, he continues to start, but J.P. gets some meaningful time. If we're out, J.P. is in.

Kramer
07-01-2004, 07:09 AM
Give the reigns to Travis and let JP in on a few series each game. Drew out means effectively a rebuilding year. No playoffs possible IMHO.

justasportsfan
07-01-2004, 07:25 AM
The only way Drew blows is if we make him throw the ball as much as his first season here and let him win the games for us. I would think Mularkey would rather run the ball 100 times /game than depend on Drew to carry the team. I think drew could be the best caretaking qb in the league.

lordofgun
07-01-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
The only way Drew blows is if we make him throw the ball as much as his first season here and let him win the games for us. I would think Mularkey would rather run the ball 100 times /game than depend on Drew to carry the team. I think drew could be the best caretaking qb in the league.

For that to happen, they might need to take away a lot of his audibling capabilities.

Jan Reimers
07-01-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Kramer
Give the reigns to Travis and let JP in on a few series each game. Drew out means effectively a rebuilding year. No playoffs possible IMHO.

Kramer, we can't afford to give up on the playoffs this year. We've missed three straight seasons, and the fans won't accept another "rebuilding year." In today's Free Agency/Salary Cap NFL, the future - by necessity - is now.

mybills
07-01-2004, 07:42 AM
Drew should be the water boy! :snicker:

Voltron
07-01-2004, 07:56 AM

:homer:

:rolleyes:

Voltron
07-01-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ
If Drew really really blows, I would probably start Travis Brown until midseason. If Brown lights up the scoreboard he gets to stay there. If he is no better than ordinary, JP gets his shot at midseason.

I am not saying Drew sucks at all. He has a lot of talent but as Steve Tasker said "his internal clock is broken".

One thing that Travis Brown has that is not Drew’s strong point is a short game. If you look around the league you will see that a strong running game and a good short game will bring you to the Promised Land. (look at the 2 teams that went to the SB last year and you will see that they had both)

Jan Reimers
07-01-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by mybills
Drew should be the water boy! :snicker:

Love him or hate him, Drew's the best we have right now, and we all should hope for a better season from him. Travis is a journeyman at best, and J.P. isn't ready.

Voltron
07-01-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

Kramer, we can't afford to give up on the playoffs this year. We've missed three straight seasons, and the fans won't accept another "rebuilding year." In today's Free Agency/Salary Cap NFL, the future - by necessity - is now.

Not to mention take a look at who is free agents after this season. If we consider this a rebuilding year wait till we lose our best O-lineman (jennings), our only capable DE and the best D-linemen we have had since Bruce left (williams)

Jan Reimers
07-01-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Voltron
I am not saying Drew sucks at all. He has a lot of talent but as Steve Tasker said "his internal clock is broken".

I think the clock repair crew - Malarkey, Clements and Wyche - have arrived.

Tatonka
07-01-2004, 08:13 AM
if bledsoe sucks again to start the year off.. i can tell you what will happen..

they will leave him in and ruin this season, because TD and MM wont want to admit they made a huge mistake by keeping him so early in their tenure here.

Jan Reimers
07-01-2004, 08:14 AM
Not to mention take a look at who is free agents after this season. If we consider this a rebuilding year wait till we lose our best O-lineman (jennings), our only capable DE and the best D-linemen we have had since Bruce left (williams)

Exactly. If we get into this rebuilding thing, we will become the Bengals.

Voltron
07-01-2004, 08:15 AM

I think the clock repair crew - Malarkey, Clements and Wyche - have arrived.

AS the old saying goes

"you can't teach an old dog new tricks"

The guy has been in the league for 11 years and has never had a "good" internal clock. What makes you thinkt hat new coaches will fix it?

Kramer
07-01-2004, 08:23 AM

I agree, and we will not give up. But we also will not make the playoffs without an effective Drew. Willing playoffs to happen will not work.

SABURZFAN
07-01-2004, 08:24 AM
i think the combination of henry and mcgahee will take some of the attention away from drew.he won't have a Pro Bowl season but he'll have a better season than last year.having a new coaching staff can't hurt either.anytime that it was 3rd down,EVERYBODY knew what we were going to do last year.

Patrick76777
07-01-2004, 08:28 AM
Just a feeling and it may be just because I'm a fan, but I think he'll have a good year this year.

But as always with football, if the team plays like crap, everyone blames the QB! It always happens. I always bring up 1989 when Kelly had a bad year and everyone wanted Frank Reich to take over. Nobody will admit that now!

Jan Reimers
07-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
i think the combination of henry and mcgahee will take some of the attention away from drew.he won't have a Pro Bowl season but he'll have a better season than last year.having a new coaching staff can't hurt either.anytime that it was 3rd down,EVERYBODY knew what we were going to do last year.

I agree, and add to the mix better O line play and an improved receiving corps with Evans, a healthy Moulds, and Reed at his more natural position.

saviorbledsoe
07-01-2004, 10:43 AM

One thing that Travis Brown has that is not Drew’s strong point is a short game. If you look around the league you will see that a strong running game and a good short game will bring you to the Promised Land. (look at the 2 teams that went to the SB last year and you will see that they had both)

What Travis Brown are you talking about???????????? The one that played like a total of 6 NFL quarters? I know it cant be him because that Travis Brown....the one I watched in preseason last year BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He couldnt hit screens or deep passes. I honeslty wonder how in the heck he possibly has a spot on this roster yet and wonder if by the end of this preseason he even will.

saviorbledsoe
07-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
if bledsoe sucks again to start the year off.. i can tell you what will happen..

they will leave him in and ruin this season, because TD and MM wont want to admit they made a huge mistake by keeping him so early in their tenure here.

Wys?

lordofgun
07-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Wys?

Knock it off, dude.

saviorbledsoe
07-01-2004, 11:01 AM
:bravo:

Tatonka
07-01-2004, 11:29 AM
Wys?

that has nothing to do with wys..

it has to do with this.. and i know it is hard for you to comprehend because you are so blind in your love for an average qb... but try and follow.

MM came in and stated that bledsoe is undoubtedly his guy.. no question about it.. he is the guy.. he isnt broke.. just needs to tweak a couple things and he will be the "bledsoe of old" (as if that is something to write home about)...

so if drew sucks.. they are not even going to consider benching him.. and while the fans scream for his head.. all but you, savior, and your buddy cowardselet or whatever his name is.. MM and TD will go into deflection mode and blame everyone but drew.. because if they say, well drew isnt getting the job done.. that essencially means that they have failed their first project as coaches.. which is fixing the mess that was called drew bledsoe from last year.

saviorbledsoe
07-01-2004, 11:32 AM

that has nothing to do with wys..

it has to do with this.. and i know it is hard for you to comprehend because you are so blind in your love for an average qb... but try and follow.

MM came in and stated that bledsoe is undoubtedly his guy.. no question about it.. he is the guy.. he isnt broke.. just needs to tweak a couple things and he will be the "bledsoe of old" (as if that is something to write home about)...

so if drew sucks.. they are not even going to consider benching him.. and while the fans scream for his head.. all but you, savior, and your buddy cowardselet or whatever his name is.. MM and TD will go into deflection mode and blame everyone but drew.. because if they say, well drew isnt getting the job done.. that essencially means that they have failed their first project as coaches.. which is fixing the mess that was called drew bledsoe from last year.

always a conspiracy theory with people like you.

Voltron
07-01-2004, 11:37 AM

always a conspiracy theory with people like you.

Yeah and it is always everyone elses fault with people like you

saviorbledsoe
07-01-2004, 11:38 AM

Yeah and it is always everyone elses fault with people like you

i have said time and time again that Drew sucked last year. But it wasnt ALL his fault.

lil Indian Boi
07-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

If Bledsoe is just playing ok: I say as soon as we are out of playoff contention, JP goes in immediately.

If Bledsoe really, really blows: Pull bledsoe after 4-6 games at the most if it's obvious that Bledsoe is not improving.

I was listening to John Elway on NFL Network last night, and he said that a QB can not learn enough just sitting on the bench. There's going to be growing pains, and as soon as nothing is at stake, put him in!

ASAP! With your season dwindelling b4 your eyes, it would be much easier to swallow if the rookie were thrown to the wolves, or in this case to the lil Indian Boi, so you can blame the season on the coaching staff for pulling Bleedslow too early. Never too early to start working on next year!

justasportsfan
07-01-2004, 01:03 PM
wittlle indian and his wittle awow is still here?

lil Indian Boi
07-01-2004, 01:12 PM
wittlle indian and his wittle awow is still here?

Waitin in the bushes...got my eye on a big fat billy...looks like he can feed my whole tribe....I think they call him justabill!

Steady..steady..steaaaady.....................FIRE! Got'em:faint:

Halbert
07-01-2004, 01:27 PM
Well I don't think they're just blowing smoke. They've worked their butts off putting together a roster that has as much talent as any team in the league. They're putting a lot of stock in Bledsoe by not pulling the trigger on a proven backup. I don't think they're doing that due to just ego, that would be extremely risky.

Now assuming the OL is grading out well and there isn't a dearth of injuries elsewhere in the offense, if Drew starts out the season 2-4 or something and is playing like he did last year they’d have no choice but to bench him. But they still aren’t going to start Losman at that point, that would be conceding the season. It would also be crazy since he would have spent all training camp and the start of the season as the scout team QB with very few reps with the starting unit. That’s asking for disaster. Their best chance at turning the season around, as weird as it sounds, would be to give Travis his shot and see if he can handle it. If he tanks and loses 2 or three then they throw in the towel and start the Losman era a year or two early.

As excited as I am to see Losman play, that scenario would just plain suck.

Halbert
07-01-2004, 01:33 PM
I think drew could be the best caretaking qb in the league.
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

If they can get to the point where he's throwing only 20-22 times a game that means the running game is working and the defense is still top 10. Without the pressure to do it all and fewer opportunities for disaster, he'd make very few mistakes. They'd be very tough to beat.

TedMock
07-01-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Halbert

If they can get to the point where he's throwing only 20-22 times a game that means the running game is working and the defense is still top 10. Without the pressure to do it all and fewer opportunities for disaster, he'd make very few mistakes. They'd be very tough to beat.

That would represent perfect balance. What a nice change that would be! I agree with you that 20-25 dropbacks is perfect. They also need to add play action! Bledsoe has some definite faults, but play action is one of the strongest parts of his game. Mark Campbell said they didn't have one in the entire playbook last season. I also don't think we're going to a "run-first" offense. Balance, balance, balance. We're definitly spreading the field too. Why else draft Evans? I'm cautiously optimistic.

justasportsfan
07-01-2004, 01:39 PM

w/ occassional bombs down the field :D Especially when teams stack up the line just like in the Jags game :up:

Halbert
07-01-2004, 01:43 PM
I just hope Mularkey doesn't get too pass happy because they did it so well in Pittsburg in '02. He says he won't but I won't believe it for sure until I see it.

LtBillsFan66
07-01-2004, 01:48 PM

I agree with you. People here are way too conservative.

Halbert
07-01-2004, 01:52 PM
And conservatives are all evil people.

Jan Reimers
07-01-2004, 02:26 PM

Remember Churchill's words: If you are 20 and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If you are 40 and not a conservative, you don't have a brain.

I hope you are a young man.

The_Philster
07-01-2004, 05:55 PM
AS the old saying goes

The guy has been in the league for 11 years and has never had a "good" internal clock. What makes you thinkt hat new coaches will fix it?

Two words : Fewer reads

Novacane
07-01-2004, 05:56 PM
However, whether or not Bledsoe plays well, we get Losman in there as much as we can whenever the game looks like it's pretty much won. .

or pretty much lost

Kramer
07-01-2004, 06:06 PM

You are dead wrong. It is the liberals that are evil. They think they are smarter then the average Joe and want to impose the heavy hand of government on everyone in order to regulate their lives.

Tatonka
07-01-2004, 06:31 PM

savior probably wishes you were dead for saying that.

The_Philster
07-01-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
or pretty much lost

true...but I'm trying not to think that way

madness
07-01-2004, 07:42 PM

Two words : Fewer reads

Amen brother, Amen.

The_Philster
07-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by madness23
Amen brother, Amen.

Hey...that's basically what Mularkey did with Gilbride's offense in Pittsburgh..took out the ridiculously high number of reads that Kordell was expected to make...and Stewart ended up making the Pro Bowl...don't see why history couldn't repeat itself. :idunno:

saviorbledsoe
07-01-2004, 09:12 PM

savior probably wishes you were dead for saying that.

God you are obsessed with me..........do I need to get a restrainment order here?

elltrain22
07-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Unless our team completely craps out ( which is not going to happen ), then, and only then, should Losman see action. I think it does him well to sit, and learn the offense, and scope out the speed of the NFL game for a season. He is our future, not our here and now.

Tatonka
07-01-2004, 10:34 PM
God you are obsessed with me..........do I need to get a restrainment order here?

na.. you'll be banned as soon as the season starts and bledsoe ****s the bed for personal attacks on people who question drews almightyness.. then you wont have to waste your time with the restraining order.

DraftBoy
07-02-2004, 12:18 AM
Give Bledsoe a short leash. 2 games. Every 2 games have a evaluation of play. Granted he needs to **** the bed to lose his job which to be perfectly honest I have an easy time seeing.

Mr. Cynical
07-02-2004, 02:31 AM

Bingo.

Mr. Cynical
07-02-2004, 02:33 AM

AS the old saying goes

Exactly. Nothing will. It is what it is, so people need to understand that. The only thing that will make him successful is a great running game, great defense, great special teams...and playing against sub-.500 teams. :D

Seriously though, he is not going to somehow "get a clock". It is an inate talent the you either have or don't have. Those that don't have become less and less successful over time since the speed of the game has continually increased over the years. Can anyone name current successful QBs with bad internal clocks? I can name a bunch of UN-successful ones, e.g., RJ.

Mr. Cynical
07-02-2004, 02:39 AM

I hear you, but it's not like they have a choice in the matter. Of course they want to make the playoffs this year but quite frankly it will be a huge reach. Too many new variables, e.g., new HC, new OC, McGahee, Oline, Dline....and of course, Drew.

While I'm not giving up the season, I have said many times that I'm willing to be patient if I feel the right pieces are being put into place. My expectations are more modest.....7-9, maybe 8-8....primarily because of the D. But I'm looking to make the playoffs in '05 and then make a serious run in 06. That's my timetable anyway....

The_Philster
07-02-2004, 03:18 AM

na.. you'll be banned as soon as the season starts and bledsoe ****s the bed for personal attacks on people who question drews almightyness.. then you wont have to waste your time with the restraining order.
Do you two need a room?...you don't like each other so why respond to or talk about each other? It's getting a little tiring to come in here to read a football thread and see all the sniping going back and forth. :shakeno:

Jan Reimers
07-02-2004, 05:56 AM
You are dead wrong. It is the liberals that are evil. They think they are smarter then the average Joe and want to impose the heavy hand of government on everyone in order to regulate their lives.

Perfectly stated, Kramer.

chernobylwraiths
07-02-2004, 06:20 AM

He didn't start out that poorly last year. We were 3-2 and his TD/Int were 5-3. The only game he didn't throw a TD was against Miami (the worst game of his career) and he threw 2 of his Ints in that game. Bledsoe RARELY sucks to start a season, it is in mid season that his play gets worse.

Incedentally, we ran the ball more than we passed it 6 times last year, passed it more 9 times and tied once. Our record in the first category was 5-1. The one game we lost was to Houston, and I think we can agree that defensive lapses let us down. The game where it was 50/50 we lost and we only won 1 game where we passed more (against Cincinnatti). I don't think I have to point out that the first two games when we looked like world beaters we ran it more, even though we didn't get a lot of yards we still ran it more. IMO that shows that you don't have to have a GREAT running game to win. You just have to be committed to it.

chernobylwraiths
07-02-2004, 06:28 AM

I think most people in our government ARE smarter than the average Joe. That's the way it should be. Do you really want idiots running the government?

Oh wait, too late.

How does a democratic government want to regulate your life? Do they tell you what job to take, what movie you can watch, where to live, what to eat? Hey, believe it or not, there are people out there less advantaged than you or I. They are not all layabout bums who refuse to work. They are all not able to do advanced calculus. Why can't you give them a break? Just because some take advantage of the system, does that mean you let them all starve? Sure the system is a little broke in that regard, you won't get any argument from me, but you will hurt more people than you should if many of those programs are eliminated.

buffmaniac
07-02-2004, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
I hear you, but it's not like they have a choice in the matter. Of course they want to make the playoffs this year but quite frankly it will be a huge reach. Too many new variables, e.g., new HC, new OC, McGahee, Oline, Dline....and of course, Drew.

While I'm not giving up the season, I have said many times that I'm willing to be patient if I feel the right pieces are being put into place. My expectations are more modest.....7-9, maybe 8-8....primarily because of the D. But I'm looking to make the playoffs in '05 and then make a serious run in 06. That's my timetable anyway....

How is it reach?

I mean look at Carolina last year. The year before Carolina finished 7-9 and they had the #2 defense and #31 offense. Sounds like the Bills last year. And going into the season the Panthers had a brand new RB in Davis, their best WR Steve Smith had not put up any big numbers before that year and was a bit of a head-case, they were starting a rookie RT, and they had a big question mark at QB with Delhomme and Peete. And yet they go on to finish 11-5 and make it to the Super Bowl.

In the NFL today, anything can happen. If our coaches, who have very impressive resumes, can get this offense on track, we will be a good team and a playoff contender IMO.

justasportsfan
07-02-2004, 07:44 AM

AS the old saying goes

The guy has been in the league for 11 years and has never had a "good" internal clock. What makes you thinkt hat new coaches will fix it? Maddox? :idunno:

justasportsfan
07-02-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by buffmaniac

How is it reach?

I mean look at Carolina last year. The year before Carolina finished 7-9 and they had the #2 defense and #31 offense. Sounds like the Bills last year. And going into the season the Panthers had a brand new RB in Davis, their best WR Steve Smith had not put up any big numbers before that year and was a bit of a head-case, they were starting a rookie RT, and they had a big question mark at QB with Delhomme and Peete. And yet they go on to finish 11-5 and make it to the Super Bowl.

In the NFL today, anything can happen. If our coaches, who have very impressive resumes, can get this offense on track, we will be a good team and a playoff contender IMO. If the Pats can go from 5-11 and winning the sb the next year, why is it a reach for the bills to make playoffs especially if Mularkey is as advertised.

Tatonka
07-02-2004, 08:07 AM
Maddox? :idunno:

maddox played good for one year.. and even in that, he didnt play good enough to win his team a superbowl.

Halbert
07-02-2004, 08:24 AM
It was a joke, sarcastically challenged people.

Please return to discussing football.

justasportsfan
07-02-2004, 08:36 AM

maddox played good for one year.. and even in that, he didnt play good enough to win his team a superbowl. I knew someone would say that, all we need is 1 year for Drew to play well and by that time, Losman should be ready .eh?

Mr. Cynical
07-04-2004, 10:32 AM
The two primary differences between the Bills and Carolina/NE are the coaching and the QB.

Both Fox and Belichick had at least a year under their belt with their respective teams before it turned around. This is MM's first year.

Delhomme and Brady, while no Favre or Montana, don't make the same mistakes or choke like Drew.

Michael82
07-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Come on people...if Mularkey and Co. could turn KORDELL "freaking" Stewart into a PRO BOWL Quarterback...I don't see what the hell they can't turn Bledsoe into a solid QB that makes the big plays when they need him to, and basically just hands the ball off. :shakeno:

I think Bledsoe will have his best year yet, because he won't be asked to do everything and the receivers have much simpler routes and plays. :up:

Michael82
07-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Now as far as the question in the thread....

the problem with it is the fact that with this smash mouth style offense, if Bledsoe is playing terribly...you could still end up winning the games and if that is the case, I say you shouldn't pull Bledsoe.

Now, I feel that you need to give Bledsoe and the team a chance to work together and gell. 4 weeks is NOT enough. I figure by midseason, if Bledsoe had more INTs than TDs and has fumbled the ball a bunch of times...it's time to say goodbye to him and bench him for JP Losman. The only way Travis Brown should go in is if Bledsoe goes down with an injury or something in the first 4 weeks of the season...then you don't throw your rookie into the mix right away...you put Brown out there or sign someone else.