So, assuming Bledsoe really, really sucks to start the season...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

So, assuming Bledsoe really, really sucks to start the season...

...when do we put JP in the game?

If Bledsoe is just playing ok: I say as soon as we are out of playoff contention, JP goes in immediately.

If Bledsoe really, really blows: Pull bledsoe after 4-6 games at the most if it's obvious that Bledsoe is not improving.

I was listening to John Elway on NFL Network last night, and he said that a QB can not learn enough just sitting on the bench. There's going to be growing pains, and as soon as nothing is at stake, put him in!

So really, I would give Bledsoe 4 games to prove he can get the job done.

Thoughts?

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

• The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

I'm thinking along the same lines as you. However, whether or not Bledsoe plays well, we get Losman in there as much as we can whenever the game looks like it's pretty much won. The Oilers did the right thing as far as bringing along McNair, IMO. They gave him playing time intermittently the first season...giving him enough that he was learning, but no so much that he was overwhelmed.
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Dozerdog
      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

Well, duh..Elway was the biggest primadonna as a rookie- using the Yankmees and a holdout to get his crybaby way to get moved to Denverwhen the Colts drafted him. Of course he thought he was God's gift to QB's as a rookie. Guess what- he still sucked that year. He's lucky to have had an old but knowledgeable Craig Morton to teach him.

Denver gave up a king's ransome for him so they were forced to play him early. It does not suprise me about his comments.

I want the best QB playing, period. Right now, JP just does not have the experience. I am not willing to sacrifice wins to get him that experience. But as Earthquake Enyart always says- you can lose with anyone. If we are losing- put him in.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The_Philster
        I'm thinking along the same lines as you. However, whether or not Bledsoe plays well, we get Losman in there as much as we can whenever the game looks like it's pretty much won. The Oilers did the right thing as far as bringing along McNair, IMO. They gave him playing time intermittently the first season...giving him enough that he was learning, but no so much that he was overwhelmed.

Good point- I wonder if the Bills might try to get some quick scores if they get up in a game to bring garbage time a bit sooner.

Comment

• lordofgun
          in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

I just hope we're not destined for another 8-8 season with Bledsoe in command, and JP having no more playing experience than he does now.

That would be the worst possible scenario, IMO.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
            • Jul 2002

Well, in the four seasons that Drew has been a Bill (The season he was great, the season he was great and then sucked, the season he may have been great but sucked because everyone else sucked, and the season he sucked because he sucks, Drew started them all out on fire... so he likely will again... because he sucks or is great.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Does Wyche & Clements have a history of letting QB talent waste away on the bench?

For that matter, does TD have a history of aquiring players then letting them rot away?

Comment

• saviorbledsoe
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Jul 2003

Holy Christ nice outlook on this upcoming season....maybe just maybe we could do better than 8 and 8?
                And who knows actually win a championship with Drew. Nah you are right lets mail it in now.

THATS WHY THEY PLAY THE GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• lordofgun
                  in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
                  Holy Christ nice outlook on this upcoming season....maybe just maybe we could do better than 8 and 8?
                  And who knows actually win a championship with Drew. Nah you are right lets mail it in now.

THATS WHY THEY PLAY THE GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Dude, you really need to calm down.

It's a hypothetical. Obviously, we're all hoping Drew leads us to the Super Bowl.

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

If Drew really really blows, I would probably start Travis Brown until midseason. If Brown lights up the scoreboard he gets to stay there. If he is no better than ordinary, JP gets his shot at midseason.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                      • May 2003

I think Bledsoe plays until a playoff birth is decided. If we're in, he continues to start, but J.P. gets some meaningful time. If we're out, J.P. is in.
                      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Kramer
                        • May 2004

Give the reigns to Travis and let JP in on a few series each game. Drew out means effectively a rebuilding year. No playoffs possible IMHO.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

The only way Drew blows is if we make him throw the ball as much as his first season here and let him win the games for us. I would think Mularkey would rather run the ball 100 times /game than depend on Drew to carry the team. I think drew could be the best caretaking qb in the league.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• lordofgun
                            in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                            The only way Drew blows is if we make him throw the ball as much as his first season here and let him win the games for us. I would think Mularkey would rather run the ball 100 times /game than depend on Drew to carry the team. I think drew could be the best caretaking qb in the league.
                            For that to happen, they might need to take away a lot of his audibling capabilities.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                              • May 2003

Originally posted by Kramer
                              Give the reigns to Travis and let JP in on a few series each game. Drew out means effectively a rebuilding year. No playoffs possible IMHO.
                              Kramer, we can't afford to give up on the playoffs this year. We've missed three straight seasons, and the fans won't accept another "rebuilding year." In today's Free Agency/Salary Cap NFL, the future - by necessity - is now.
                              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X