PDA

View Full Version : Mularkey looks for offensive fixes

The Spaz
07-06-2004, 10:07 AM
What they've added?

When the Bills added Drew Bledsoe for the 2002 season, it seemed like a steal after Bledsoe threw for 4,359 yards. But the defense that season gave up more points than the team scored. So in came the reinforcements in the form of linebacker Takeo Spikes, defensive tackle Sam Adams and safety Lawyer Milloy. While the defense did improve, lowering their points-per-game average from 24.8 to 17.4, the offense suffered a precipitous drop in production when it scored an AFC-low 15.2 ppg.

So after three seasons of not finding a balance of offense and defense, head coach Gregg Williams, hired when the Bills passed over other available candidates such as John Fox and Marvin Lewis, received his pink slip.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/features/story?page=overview/bills2004

Jan Reimers
07-06-2004, 11:56 AM
I agree with Clayton's hinting that we may not have done quite enough on defense. We may have maintained the status quo, while other teams have been improving. I'd like to see us get Gildon, who would give us another solid veteran leader and a good situational pass rusher.

TigerJ
07-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Brian Kelly is the author of that article. I to would like to see more of a given at LDE than the Bills have. What they have is a proven bust as a pass rusher and a second year player who may be very good, but we don't know for certain.

I don't have a link, but there is a comparable article on the Jets where the writer suggest the Jets could make the playoffs because of the lack of improvements made by the Bills and Dolphins. Tunnel vision.

Tatonka
07-06-2004, 12:08 PM
In the three seasons that ends Ryan Denney and Chris Kelsay have been in the league, the pair of second-round picks have combined for 3½ sacks -- all by Denney last year.

:eek:

Ickybaluky
07-06-2004, 12:16 PM
I don't have a link, but there is a comparable article on the Jets where the writer suggest the Jets could make the playoffs because of the lack of improvements made by the Bills and Dolphins. Tunnel vision.

They did the Jets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/features/story?page=overview/jets2004) yesterday, and the guy who writes the article states:

"The lack of improvements made by the division rival Bills and Dolphins could open the door for a Jets playoffs berth."

The Spaz
07-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by NE39

They did the Jets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/features/story?page=overview/jets2004) yesterday, and the guy who writes the article states:

"The lack of improvements made by the division rival Bills and Dolphins could open the door for a Jets playoffs berth."

What did the jets do to improve?:idunno:

Philagape
07-06-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
In the three seasons that ends Ryan Denney and Chris Kelsay have been in the league, the pair of second-round picks have combined for 3½ sacks -- all by Denney last year.

:eek:

I think what he was saying is that Kelsay and Denney have played three seasons combined (2 by Denney, 1 by Kelsay). I did a double-take, too, but then remembered what a horrible writer Clayton is. It wouldn't surprise me if he really did mean three seasons each. What a difference between when he does the overviews and when Len P. does them. It's like the difference between "The Simple Life" and C-Span.

This is the line the ticked me off:
"And of even more concern is the depth behind Vincent and Nate Clements. Terrence McGee -- with two career starts -- is penciled in as the nickel cornerback. Behind him the situation is even murkier."

This shows that Clayton is clueless as well. His entire research for that paragraph probably consisted of looking at a stat sheet and seeing 2 career starts. That's ALL HE KNOWS about Terrence McGee, and obviously he knows even less about Kevin Thomas. This is the difference between being an armchair analyst who gets on TV because he's good at playing a stereotypical character role (the nerdy, brainy type), and a real journalist with real sources and real research and real depth, which is what Pasquarelli is.

Pride
07-06-2004, 12:33 PM
We have to remember that championship teams are not top notch at every position. Its the coaches ability to put less talented players in positions to excel.

Also, combine that with the fact that addition by subraction is what our defense should benefit from, and you have the makings of a special year.

The defense was on the field WAAAY too much last year. And playing catch up. With us being behind, the opposition wont throw as much, which equates to less opportunities for sacks.

I personally feel you will see a balanced, if not run heavy offense, controlling the clock but using quick strikes to the WR's to stretch the field, the defense will be rested, and not feel they have to win the game.

So many factors can change this year that I cant help but get all giddy thinking of them.

Run oriented Offense, controlls clock
Drew benefits from this as the backers cannot Toff on him.
WR's get more room to catch the ball because the backers will be stepping up to play run first, pass second (opposite of last year)
We have a legitimate speed threat this year in Evans
Hopefully have a coach who can adjust/modify his game plan based on what is and what is NOT working. (opposite of last year)

Thats just the offense!

Defense...

Not much has changed to the top 5 (no matter how you slice it) defense in the league. So, lack of change on a good unit is great
By not being on the field 40 minutes a game, they should have more gas in the tank in the 4th quarter, and may be able to take control of the game, even if the offense is playing well.

*shudders to think what COULD BE*

Goobylal
07-06-2004, 01:15 PM
[They did the Jets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/features/story?page=overview/jets2004) yesterday, and the guy who writes the article states:

That was probably the most ridiculous statement I've ever read. EVen if the Bills allegedly did nothing (other than change their coaching staff, add speed in Evans and McGahee, and depth at DT), the rest of the AFC isn't going to lay-down for the Jets so they can make the playoffs. With division games being 6 now instead of 8, the remaining schedule becomes extremely important.

ScottLawrence
07-06-2004, 02:26 PM
Jets made plety of improvements such as..... LB Eric Barton, WR Justin McCariens, SS Reggie Tounge, CB David Barett, and Rookie LB Jonathan Vilma.

Players like Barton, Tounge, and McCariens were solid pick ups.... I expect the Jets defense to be much better now that they released there old washed up LB's and replaced them with younger more athletic ones.

The Spaz
07-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by ScottLawrence
Jets made plety of improvements such as..... LB Eric Barton, WR Justin McCariens, SS Reggie Tounge, CB David Barett, and Rookie LB Jonathan Vilma.

Players like Barton, Tounge, and McCariens were solid pick ups.... I expect the Jets defense to be much better now that they released there old washed up LB's and replaced them with younger more athletic ones.

I llike Barton and Mcareins but they didn't do enough on D. There DT's suck.

ScottLawrence
07-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Ehh... I dont know about that.

If Dewayne Roberston can have his break out year, then they could have a very good Defensive tackle tandem with Robertson and Jason Ferguson along with Josh Evans rotating in.

The reason there defense was so bad last year was because of there slow, washed up LB's..... I expect the Jets D to be much improved.

The Natrix
07-06-2004, 06:21 PM
The Jets D could be decent.

Pennington is one of those QBs that makes the players around him better. Basically the opposite of Drew Bledsoe.

As Bills fans, we are certainly in no position to dissmiss the Jets.

Any way the AFC East ends up won't shock me. Although I'd be mildly surprised if the Pats finish last.

ShadowHawk7
07-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Philagape
This is the line the ticked me off:
"And of even more concern is the depth behind Vincent and Nate Clements. Terrence McGee -- with two career starts -- is penciled in as the nickel cornerback. Behind him the situation is even murkier."

This shows that Clayton is clueless as well. His entire research for that paragraph probably consisted of looking at a stat sheet and seeing 2 career starts. That's ALL HE KNOWS about Terrence McGee, and obviously he knows even less about Kevin Thomas.

Two starts is damn good for a 4th round rookie CB IMO.. Add that with 2 picks, being a solid STer, and you have a very promising talent. The nickel spot should be perfect for him this year.

Originally posted by Goobylal
EVen if the Bills allegedly did nothing (other than change their coaching staff, add speed in Evans and McGahee, and depth at DT)

AND add a solid guard, and a perennial pro bowl corner.

The Natrix
07-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
The nickel spot should be perfect for him this year.

It should be. But he could also be the next Chris Watson or Kevin Thomas.

ShadowHawk7
07-06-2004, 08:37 PM
Chris Watson may be too farfetched, but yea, while Thomas had a fairly promising rookie year as well (But not as good as McGee.) he mostly disappeared this season, but was not a liability for a 4th corner.

TigerJ
07-06-2004, 08:56 PM
The Jets got younger at linebacker and picked up a promising young receiver in McCareins. I read at least one article that suggested the acquizition of Barrett as a CB was probably not going to turn out to be a plus for the Jets. The Jets are hopeful that Robertson will blossom in his second year at DT, but he's no more of a sure thing for the Jets than Kelsay is for Buffalo (at DE).

B-DON
07-07-2004, 02:10 AM
im not sticking up for the jets but wasnt robertson a top 5 pick while kelsey was a secind rounder

The Spaz
07-07-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by B-DON
im not sticking up for the jets but wasnt robertson a top 5 pick while kelsey was a secind rounder

Yes and neither did squat. I will say that Robertson probably had double the playing time as well.

don137
07-07-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Pride

The defense was on the field WAAAY too much last year. And playing catch up. With us being behind, the opposition wont throw as much, which equates to less opportunities for sacks.

I agree Pride...In many games the defense looked tired late in the game and couldn't stop the other team to force them to punt. If Buffalo's offense can stay on the field more with better play calling due to the change in the coaching staff and more weapons I think the offense will be on the field more and the defense will be more fresh resulting in more bigger plays and making the critcal stops on 3rd down.

B-DON
07-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Yes and neither did squat. I will say that Robertson probably had double the playing time as well.

so you would take kelsay over robertson? no way