The Spaz
07-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by BillyT92679
So is Dainon Shelton the FB this year?
I wish Phil Crosby was still here.

I think Shelton will do quite well.

BillyT92679
07-06-2004, 06:12 PM
I think he will be passable, but depth is certainly a benefit.

The Natrix
07-06-2004, 06:12 PM
I'm not sold on Shelton. I liked Crosby. Not sure why he got rejected.

The Spaz
07-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
I'm not sold on Shelton. I liked Crosby. Not sure why he got rejected.

HE got hurt with us then got an injury settlement went to the Pats and then got cut. Maybe he isn't over his injury.

The Natrix
07-06-2004, 06:23 PM
:up: Thanks Spaz

The Spaz
07-06-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
:up: Thanks Spaz

:D :beers:

ionlyusesmilies
07-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
I think Shelton will do quite well.

:down: :lol:

mypoorfriendme
07-06-2004, 06:54 PM
fullback isnt going to play much of a role this year on this team. if we plan to utilize henry and mcgahee as much as mularkey is saying we are, travis or willis will be playing the blocking role.

....that is unless we bring out the maryland I......

Philagape
07-06-2004, 07:04 PM
They way I understand it, Henry & Willis will be together only some of the time, as a change of pace or surprise. Shelton's a beast who's great for a power running game.

Kelly The Dog
07-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Between the Fast-21 offense with McGahee and Travis together, any combination of 3-4 wides on passing downs or change of pace with Moulds/Evans/Reed and/or Shaw/Aiken, and with standard two back set with Shelton, we are not going to use a FB a lot. Probably no more than 35% of the plays. Furthermore, with two rookie TE's, one of which (Jason Peters) is an X factor and was already being used as a FB or HB in mini-camps, IMO, we only keep Shelton but we keep Neufeld as a TE/HB/FB hybrid until Peters and Euhus are established. Then we can keep who has shown well and get rid of one of them. Luke Lawton will likely make the Practice Squad in case Shelton is hurt.

The Natrix
07-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I doubt Henry and Willis will be in the backfield enough to say "fullback isn't going to play much of a role this year on this team." Maybe it's just me, but I don't see Willis as being much of a blocker or willing to do it much.

Philagape
07-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Unless our base offense will have 3 wides, we'll use the FB as much as most other teams that use one

ShadowHawk7
07-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
Between the Fast-21 offense with McGahee and Travis together, any combination of 3-4 wides on passing downs or change of pace with Moulds/Evans/Reed and/or Shaw/Aiken, and with standard two back set with Shelton, we are not going to use a FB a lot. Probably no more than 35% of the plays. Furthermore, with two rookie TE's, one of which (Jason Peters) is an X factor and was already being used as a FB or HB in mini-camps, IMO, we only keep Shelton but we keep Neufeld as a TE/HB/FB hybrid until Peters and Euhus are established. Then we can keep who has shown well and get rid of one of them. Luke Lawton will likely make the Practice Squad in case Shelton is hurt.

Good analysis, Kelly, I agree.

The Natrix
07-06-2004, 08:06 PM
We will have to just wait and see, I guess.

ShadowHawk7
07-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Philagape
Unless our base offense will have 3 wides, we'll use the FB as much as most other teams that use one

I wouldn't mind a base offense with Moulds, Evans, and Reed at all.

The Spaz
07-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
:D :beers:

Anthony Thomas and Fred Taylor.

elltrain22
07-06-2004, 10:08 PM
nice sig spaz.

TigerJ
07-06-2004, 10:55 PM
He probably won't be a factor this year, but Buffalo did sign a pretty well regarded rookie free agent FB in Lukke Lawton. Fullback is one of those positions where almost no one is drafted high and free agents often make teams and eventually start.

Philagape
07-06-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
I wouldn't mind a base offense with Moulds, Evans, and Reed at all.

In theory, I wouldn't mind either, but if you're a coordinator defending that set, and you see Drew Bledsoe with one less potential pass blocker, what would you do? (Not a difficult question.)

Then again, maybe this year we'd respond with more draws and delays to the single back. :D

Tatonka
07-06-2004, 11:10 PM
They way I understand it, Henry & Willis will be together only some of the time, as a change of pace or surprise. Shelton's a beast who's great for a power running game.

people forget that shelton was the fullback for anthony thomas while he was paving his way to rookie of the year.. and thomas has sucked since shelton left.

mypoorfriendme
07-07-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
people forget that shelton was the fullback for anthony thomas while he was paving his way to rookie of the year.. and thomas has sucked since shelton left.

id say the fullback is responsible for MAYBE a 10% difference of the running back.
for instance, with a mediocre full back a runner gets say 1000 yards. with a lorenzo neal, i say that runner gets 1100...and thats a stretch i think.

how important does everyone else think the fullback is in the running game alone (ignoring the running threat the fullback might pose)?

Throne Logic
07-07-2004, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
id say the fullback is responsible for MAYBE a 10% difference of the running back.
for instance, with a mediocre full back a runner gets say 1000 yards. with a lorenzo neal, i say that runner gets 1100...and thats a stretch i think.

how important does everyone else think the fullback is in the running game alone (ignoring the running threat the fullback might pose)?

I say it depends very heavily upon the system you're running. Last year, Sam Gash was a waste of a roster spot on the Buffalo squad because Gilbride refused to use him. I don't see Mularky changing the offense around enough going into this year as to dramatically increase the use of a FB. I see more use of the TE's in the role of the extra blocker, not a FB.

mypoorfriendme
07-07-2004, 02:13 AM
i agree for the most part, only in pittsburg, i seem to remember dan krieder playing a pretty big role in the running game as opposed to bruener and reimersma.

however, i have to say here that if anyone can fully utilize a pleathera of talent, its mularkey (ward, burress, bettis, zearoue, bruener, randle el, kordell.....). he managed to get them all atleast involved in the offense in a positive manner

The Spaz
07-07-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by elltrain22
nice sig spaz.

Thanks man. I still have faith.:D

Philagape
07-07-2004, 10:37 AM
The people best qualified to say how valuable fullbacks are are the tailbacks. Ask Priest Holmes about Tony Richardson. Ask Curtis Martin about Sam Gash. Ask Emmitt Smith about Daryl Johnston. Ask Roger Craig about Tom Rathman. Ask O.J. about Jim Braxton. If he were still alive, you could ask Walter Payton about Matt Suhey.
Granted, some RBs have flourished in offenses that didn't use a FB, but if you were in the backfield, would you rather plow into the line with or without a 260-pound bodyguard in front of you?
Fullbacks rock!!

mypoorfriendme
07-07-2004, 12:58 PM
The people best qualified to say how valuable fullbacks are are the tailbacks. Ask Priest Holmes about Tony Richardson. Ask Curtis Martin about Sam Gash. Ask Emmitt Smith about Daryl Johnston. Ask Roger Craig about Tom Rathman. Ask O.J. about Jim Braxton. If he were still alive, you could ask Walter Payton about Matt Suhey.
Granted, some RBs have flourished in offenses that didn't use a FB, but if you were in the backfield, would you rather plow into the line with or without a 260-pound bodyguard in front of you?
Fullbacks rock!!

all im saying is there are muuuuch more important things that catalyze the running game. it needs a good line and a good blocking scheme. after that, the running game then could use a good passing game and a good blocking fullback to gain a few more net yards every game.

travis had just as good a year in 02 as he did in 03 despite losing a passing game and then picking up a fullback....and i dont think you can say that those just cancled eachother out perfectly

HenryRules
07-07-2004, 05:49 PM
Fullbacks rock!!

All the guys you listed are good ... but how many less yards would Payton had have if he had a blocker as good as someone like Crosby who is a borderline NFLer. I think in that sense the impact over a season is not that great - the good fullbacks mostly help out when you require those 4th and inches - not so much for a 1st and 10 or something.

Dozerdog
07-07-2004, 05:56 PM
I don't think FB will be a huge role in this offense- I see two jumbo TE's and 2 WR's on a number of offensive plays-

imagine if we Could get Peters in the backfield as a FB on short yardage? I wonder if he's got the speed to hit the hole and get his block before the back runs into him.