PDA

View Full Version : I'm confident that Gildon will sign

Mr. Miyagi
07-07-2004, 09:36 AM
Heard John Clayton mention over the weekend that it's now down to Cincy and Buffalo for Gildon, with Green Bay in a distant 3rd. I am very confident that he'll choose us over Cincy. Look, we have guys like Fletcher, Spikes, Adams and Vincent, there is no way Gildon will want to go anywhere else.

buffmaniac
07-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Sounds quite similar to the Vincent situation. If it is just between us and Cincy, there is a good chance we may get him if the money is similar

BigZ
07-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Still not sure we need him.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-07-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by zielinski

If it is going to make the team better why wouldn't you need him. It doesn't seem like the price tag is going to be very high.

Mr. Miyagi
07-07-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by zielinski
Have you seen our pass rush last season?

Bulldog
07-07-2004, 10:08 AM
On WGR yesterday, Peter King said he thinks Gildon will end up in Oakland where he will get more playing time and probably more money than either Cincy or Buffalo will offer.

Mr. Miyagi
07-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog
On WGR yesterday, Peter King said he thinks Gildon will end up in Oakland where he will get more playing time and probably more money than either Cincy or Buffalo will offer.
Oakland isn't even in contention. Don't think Gildon even went to Oakland for a visit. King knows nothing. :down:

Jan Reimers
07-07-2004, 11:10 AM
I'd like Gildon's veteran presence and situational pass rushing ability.

tampabay25690
07-07-2004, 11:57 AM
I would love to see Gildon as a Buffalo Bill!!!

cablesabres68
07-07-2004, 12:13 PM
gildon also said he would play as a Defensive end if the bills or bengles needed him there over him playing at linebacker
this is also a good possibility if he comes to buffalo

BigZ
07-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
If it is going to make the team better why wouldn't you need him. It doesn't seem like the price tag is going to be very high.

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Have you seen our pass rush last season?

Originally posted by cablesabres68
gildon also said he would play as a Defensive end if the bills or bengles needed him there over him playing at linebacker
this is also a good possibility if he comes to buffalo

If he can play DE that would be a plus. Yes he would probably make the team better but if he doesn't get the playing time and starts griping it could disrupt the defense's chemistry.

Right now, we're pretty solid at LB. If he or Posey turn into the designated pass rushing end and are happy with that then it's a good deal.

mypoorfriendme
07-07-2004, 12:53 PM
wow...if we signed gildon we might have a raiders like defense with "seasoned veterans" such as milloy, adams, gildon and vincent all have serious roles

Charlieguide
07-07-2004, 02:10 PM
Let's think about this for a minute . . . Gildon must see lots of pros and cons to both teams. Neither the Bills nor the Bungles have a clear edge over the other in terms of expectations for the upcoming season. The big question in Buffalo is, what role does he play? Does he share time with/compete with Posey? Most people think that's the scenario, though I do like the idea of using him as a down lineman.

That leads us to the 3-4 defense. Given our underacheiving DL, this might make sense. Big Pat and Sam Adams would tie up 3-4 OL, leaving Schoebel singled up. At LB, you'd see Fletcher and Spikes inside, with Posey on the TE and Gildon rushing.

If we get Gildon, I expect we'll see more of a 3-4 look, unless someone on the DL proves they need to be on the field opposite Schobel.

B-DON
07-07-2004, 02:16 PM
im not a big fan of the 3-4 but with gildon i would like to see more of it to utilize all of our pass rushing skills. god knows we can use all the help with the pass rush

Jan Reimers
07-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Given our rather passive interest in Gildon, I really think that we are not planning to make him a key component in a revamped 3-4 defense.

As many have said, though, he would be a nice situational player.

elltrain22
07-07-2004, 03:27 PM
sounds pretty promising to me. I hope we can get him. It will definelty add a lot to our pass rush.

elltrain22
07-07-2004, 03:28 PM
plus, he is a veteran, and it never hurts to have alot of veteran leadership.

TigerJ
07-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Gildon was released by Pittsburgh because of declining production. The Bills t hink he still has some sacks in him, but it is clear he has begun the slide and has declining physical skills. We don't know what Kelsay might provide in the way of a pass rush since he didn't get much opportunity last season. As a young guy with good athleticism, he should have a lot of upside. I think it is a question of choosing between a relatively known quantity who is going to give you maybe double the sacks you got out of the position last season versus going with a young guy who might eventually do better than that, but may not be to that point just yet.

ShadowHawk7
07-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Besides, who would he rather play for? Former coaches, and a top 5 D already equiped with a plethora of stars, or uhhh.. the Bungals?

DraftBoy
07-08-2004, 01:03 AM
You guys underestimate the Bengals they are just about as good as we are. Although I give the edge to us.

venis2k1
07-08-2004, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by B-DON
im not a big fan of the 3-4 but with gildon i would like to see more of it to utilize all of our pass rushing skills. god knows we can use all the help with the pass rush

my only problem with playing a 3-4 is that we are too stacked at DT. sure Big Pat and Sam could clog up the middle and stay fresh, but what about Tim Anderson(who might be replacing big pat next year(we want him to get some Playing time)) and Oliver Gibson(who was TDs second biggest FA signing this year) they would spend the season riding the pine. not to mention Edwards or Sape who has alot to prove this year. Its not like these guys have the speed to switch to DE to get some PT. we have beef in the middle, we should use it. to change our whole defense for one player would be insane. i say bring gildon in, he will make us better in the short term, but dont flip our world upside down for him.