PDA

View Full Version : It's No Mularkey...Year One Under the New Regime

The Spaz
07-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Flashback to this point in time last year, when the Bills were coming off a relatively successful 2002 campaign, in which they finished 8-8 and -- due in large part to the numerous off-season moves they made to bolster their suspect defense -- were the 'trendy' pick by many experts to go to the Super Bowl. We warned everyone then that the schedule looked to be much tougher – and that even if the team had improved on paper, that they may not necessarily improve in the standings. And, while GM Tom Donahoe did a remarkable job of addressing the needs of the defense in the off-season, he did so at the expense of the offense. While Takeo Spikes, Sam Adams, and Lawyer Milloy were welcome additions, the offense never recovered from the loss of Peerless Price, Larry Centers, and Jay Riemersma, who collectively accounted for over 40% of the team’s 2002 production in the passing game.

http://www.askthecommish.com/teams/preview.asp?team=1

Pride
07-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Absolutely Perfect Article! Honestly could not have written it more correctly myself!

:10:

ryjam282
07-09-2004, 12:00 PM
That is a great read....Very well written.

HAMMER
07-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Spot on, good read.

TedMock
07-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Good read all the way through. It hit the positives and negatives of every spot. Very un-biased. I wish more journalism was like this.

Pride
07-09-2004, 01:15 PM
Make sure to send them feedback! I just did.

We need to encourage these types of writers!

eyedog
07-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Does anyone know who wrote that article ? It was very good, especially for a national media guy if thats who wrote it. He was right on with players "real" strengths and weaknesses. {schobel, winfield @ Ruben}.

Canadian'eh!
07-09-2004, 01:26 PM
GREAT GREAT FIND! fantastic article written by someone who REALLY knows the Bills well. here's my favourite paragraph:

"Mularkey received high marks for his ability to simplify Kevin Gilbride's overly complicated offense in Pittsburgh. In a way, this will seem like deja vu, since he is once again in the position of cleaning up the mess that Gilbride left behind. Joining him is former Pittsburgh QB Coach Tom Clements, who will serve as Mularkey's OC. The Mularkey/Clements team was instrumental in helping to salvage the careers of both Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox. In Buffalo, they will once again be presented with a reclaimation project: Drew Bledsoe, who is coming off the worst season of his career. Clements will, in turn, be aided by his old mentor, QB Coach Sam Wyche."

Cntrygal
07-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Great article! :10:

TigerJ
07-09-2004, 10:27 PM
It was probably the most thorough article on the Bills that I've seen so far this offseason. There were no huge revelations, but it was very objective and done with care.

Charlieguide
07-09-2004, 11:03 PM
Yeah, but he wasn't as critical as I'd have been regarding play calling, predictability, and personnel losses.

But I shouldn't get started on that stuff . . .

Kramer
07-10-2004, 07:22 AM
Very good artlicle. Written from a neutral perspective. I'd love to see what he says about the Fins.

ScottLawrence
07-10-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Kramer
Very good artlicle. Written from a neutral perspective. I'd love to see what he says about the Fins.

I Just posted his thoughts on the Fins.

ShadowHawk7
07-11-2004, 07:55 PM
Quite an excellent article. From a national perspective, probably the best I've read.

MDFINFAN
07-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Flashback to this point in time last year, when the Bills were coming off a relatively successful 2002 campaign, in which they finished 8-8 and -- due in large part to the numerous off-season moves they made to bolster their suspect defense -- were the 'trendy' pick by many experts to go to the Super Bowl. We warned everyone then that the schedule looked to be much tougher – and that even if the team had improved on paper, that they may not necessarily improve in the standings. And, while GM Tom Donahoe did a remarkable job of addressing the needs of the defense in the off-season, he did so at the expense of the offense. While Takeo Spikes, Sam Adams, and Lawyer Milloy were welcome additions, the offense never recovered from the loss of Peerless Price, Larry Centers, and Jay Riemersma, who collectively accounted for over 40% of the team’s 2002 production in the passing game.

http://www.askthecommish.com/teams/preview.asp?team=1

What? Spaz, I was the one who said you lost too much in the O. You guys claim that you weren't missing much and Josh could fill in Price and Riemersma was on the down side and not catching as much, and Centers was replaceable, we need to go back to last year's off season threads...You warned no one..you guys were like the fins fans...thought you were off to the SB, especially after thrashing the Pats on opening day. It got to be so much that Wys finally called it quits...

The Spaz
07-14-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN
What? Spaz, I was the one who said you lost too much in the O. You guys claim that you weren't missing much and Josh could fill in Price and Riemersma was on the down side and not catching as much, and Centers was replaceable, we need to go back to last year's off season threads...You warned no one..you guys were like the fins fans...thought you were off to the SB, especially after thrashing the Pats on opening day. It got to be so much that Wys finally called it quits...

We thought our personal were going to be used differently we were wrong. You don't have a smash moth type of team airing it out. Lets's send Sam Gash out in the slot!:puke:

Earthquake Enyart
07-14-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN
It got to be so much that Wys finally called it quits...

Too bad you don't feel the same way.

LtBillsFan66
07-14-2004, 11:22 AM
Mularkey is still winless as head coach! I'm going to wait for some games before I evaluate his coaching...

Halbert
07-14-2004, 01:50 PM
Isn't a 9 a bit high for the LB's? Spikes is awesome, Fletcher is very good, but Posey was average last season. Plus the depth is abysmal. I'd give them an 8.

HenryRules
07-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone
Mularkey is still winless as head coach! I'm going to wait for some games before I evaluate his coaching...

agreed.