PDA

View Full Version : League to keep paying for costly European venture

The_Philster
07-11-2004, 08:01 AM
NFL Europe is to the NFL owners these days what the Internet is to a lot of businesses.
It's a money-losing proposition that they can't afford to not be in.

The 12th World Bowl championship was held last month with the Berlin Thunder rallying to defeat the Frankfurt Galaxy. NFL Europe has been a rousing success in Germany, which is home to four of the circuit's six teams. They average about 25,000 fans a game. But elsewhere in Europe the American game is a fringe sport.

It's always going to be that way in most of Europe. Sports fans have only so much passion to expend, and soccer takes up most of it in Europe....more (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040711/1016806.asp)

Goobylal
07-11-2004, 09:59 AM
So 4 of the 6 teams are in Germany? LOL! Maybe they should just the NFLE and create the GFL: German Football League.

Michael82
07-11-2004, 11:07 AM
When are they going to learn that they are doing it all wrong? First of all, the NFL Europe should start after the draft and the teams should send their rookies there to develop. Also, teams like Buffalo and others need to be willing to send their JP Losmans, Travis Browns, Antonio Browns, hell...even send a few OL that could use the reps. Or how about a guy like Terrence McGee that could use the experience? What about Clarence Coleman? Quit sending the scrubs and maybe, just maybe the league will start to become successful.

TigerJ
07-11-2004, 11:25 AM
I agree with you, Mikey. Teams in the NFL are scared stiff of injuries to potential marquee players, so they won't ddo that even though it would help them develop. Too bad.

SABURZFAN
07-11-2004, 05:58 PM
the last thing i want to see is losman,mcgahee,evans,or any other young,high draft pick going to Germany for possible injury.

Charlieguide
07-11-2004, 06:35 PM
NFL Europe is what it is, the NFL's (other) farm league. I agree; they should be more willing to send more players over there to develop; players do their best learning on the field.

Players get injured no matter where they play, but they're probably less likely to get hurt in a slower-paced league than if they jumped headfirst into the NFL.