PDA

View Full Version : Patriots cheating a player out of a ring?

Michael82
07-12-2004, 01:20 PM
The NFL Players Association filed a grievance recently against the Patriots on behalf of wide receiver Jamin Elliott, now of the Chicago Bears, who spent most of last season on New England's practice squad and eight days on the active roster, but was not given a Super Bowl ring. The NFLPA's interpretation of a side letter in the collective bargaining agreement, which was negotiated with the league in 1993, is that Elliott is eligible for a ring. Other Patriot practice squad players received rings. NFL management sources say the Patriots are looking into the validity of the side letter as it pertains to the CBA and whether who gets a ring should be at the discretion of the team. Unclear is why the Patriots are excluding Elliott and not other practice squad players. Said Elliott's agent, Tony Agnone, "It's very disappointing for the kid. Hopefully, they're not being vindictive over the fact he signed with another team."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2004/07/11/it_doesnt_weigh_on_light?pg=3

Jan Reimers
07-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Unless the owners really caved in on the ring issue, I doubt that they would have endorsed a letter that would mandate a ring for every single player that was on the practice squad or the roster for only a few days.

The eligibility for championship rings in most sports used to be discretionary. But who knows - with the unions and all, any player that even walked through the locker room during training camp probably must now be given one.

Thailog80
07-12-2004, 01:50 PM
On the PS and active for 8 days? who would accept a SB ring with that status? Someone who is looking to exploit it and make money thats who.

Michael82
07-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Thailog80
On the PS and active for 8 days? who would accept a SB ring with that status? Someone who is looking to exploit it and make money thats who.

Other Patriot practice squad players received rings. Why couldn't he?

Thailog80
07-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Don't the players vote on it? I believe that is why Terry Glenn didnt get one.

LtBillsFan66
07-12-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Thailog80

Ditto!

Why the hell would this guy even want one? He's not part of the team. Should the waterboys get rings too?

lordofgun
07-12-2004, 02:29 PM
Shame on the Pats.

wazz
07-12-2004, 02:45 PM
i didn't realise practice squad members were entitled to rings. The fact he was made active though perhaps suggests he WAS a part of the actualteam, and ppl say TEAMS win the superbowl, not squads with a couple of stars. Teams rely on every player at some time be it for depth or to help out. If he was a pat of it that year, i guess technically he is entitled.

but for being on PS...i don't see how that entitles you. u r lucky they keeping you

ryjam282
07-13-2004, 07:00 AM
I agree, if the other practice guys got one. He deserves one. That isn't right. Those rings are so nice and if you were entitled to one you would be fighting tooth and nail to get one too.

SABURZFAN
07-13-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Shame on the Pats.

i agree.:up:

HenryRules
07-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone
Ditto!

Why the hell would this guy even want one? He's not part of the team. Should the waterboys get rings too?

That's a load of BS. You're telling me that if you saw other guys who did as much as you get a Super Bowl ring you'd say, "naaa ... I don't want one." My ass. Get real.

Throne Logic
07-14-2004, 01:32 AM
I clearly remember that Terry Glenn did not get a ring

Explain that.

HenryRules
07-14-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
I clearly remember that Terry Glenn did not get a ring

Explain that.

Because of bitterness with the coach ... Glenn should have received one but didn't because he got suspended for 4 games by the league, didn't play in the playoffs, and got in arguments with Belichick regarding his commitment to the team. There were plenty of people that contributed less than Glenn that got rings that year.

Michael82
07-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Because of bitterness with the coach ... Glenn should have received one but didn't because he got suspended for 4 games by the league, didn't play in the playoffs, and got in arguments with Belichick regarding his commitment to the team. There were plenty of people that contributed less than Glenn that got rings that year.

and that was bull**** too. Especially when the waterboys probably even got one. :cynic:

HenryRules
07-14-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82
and that was bull**** too. Especially when the waterboys probably even got one. :cynic:

I agree ... i was just answering the question.