PDA

View Full Version : How do the coaches pick up the Offense so fast?

Tatonka
07-13-2004, 08:22 PM
other than Mularkey and Clements.. how do all the other coaches on offense pick up the new scheme so fast? you would think their would be a learning curve just like for players right?

i was just thinking about this reading the article about brown and losman.. brown was saying that wyche helps so much because he always knows exactly what the offense calls for in any situation.. is if from the matrix or something.. he just pops in a disk and downloads the info to his brain? how the hell does he, and the rest of the coaches learn that crap so fast?

:confused2

The Spaz
07-13-2004, 08:26 PM
Because they design the plays?!:idunno:

Tatonka
07-13-2004, 08:29 PM
mularkey and clements design the plays.. not the rest of the guys.

LtBillsFan66
07-13-2004, 08:31 PM
Read the book "Do You Love Football!" by Jon Gruden

Those guys eat and sleep football.

Tatonka
07-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone
Read the book "Do You Love Football!" by Jon Gruden

Those guys eat and sleep football.

you seriously want me to read a book? why? i am not ready to go to bed.

:D

Tatonka
07-13-2004, 08:34 PM
i bought lawrence taylors book about 6 months ago.. havent opened it yet..

i think i might be illiterate.

The Spaz
07-13-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
mularkey and clements design the plays.. not the rest of the guys.

I think Wyche can be included in that too.

Tatonka
07-13-2004, 08:39 PM
he still has been out of pro football for a while.. and while he may contribute.. there is no way he draws up plays.

that offense was pretty much set when they got here.

LtBillsFan66
07-13-2004, 08:41 PM
you seriously want me to read a book? why? i am not ready to go to bed.

:D

i bought lawrence taylors book about 6 months ago.. havent opened it yet..

:rofl:

Those are the only 2 books I finished in the last year. :up:

Dude they are so light to read. If I can, I KNOW you can get through them!

Tatonka
07-13-2004, 08:42 PM
i see we are bouncing back on forth on boards. :D

i can only read if it is on my monitor.. dont know why.. maybe it is a learning disorder?

:snicker:

do you have the internet version of jon grudens book?

LtBillsFan66
07-13-2004, 08:50 PM
i see we are bouncing back on forth on boards. :D

i can only read if it is on my monitor.. dont know why.. maybe it is a learning disorder?

:snicker:

do you have the internet version of jon grudens book?

lol

The Jim Rome fight was real.

Tatonka
07-13-2004, 08:59 PM
the jim rome fight was not real.. no way, no how.. just look at their faces.

The Spaz
07-13-2004, 09:06 PM
he still has been out of pro football for a while.. and while he may contribute.. there is no way he draws up plays.

that offense was pretty much set when they got here.

You think Wyche woudl just forget football after he's been doing it for so many year's? Wyche my not draw up the plays but I bet you he gets asked quite a bit of information. Wych's offenses were pretty impressive.

SoCalBillsFan
07-13-2004, 09:25 PM
There are a lot of similarities in different offenses. Even if the plays are different, many of the concepts are the same. Plus, you have to assume coaches are smarter than players (at least MOST coaches are smarter than MOST players), that is why they are coaches after all. They pick it up faster. Besides, when the players are working in speed, strength, etc., what do you thnk the coaches are doing? Working on learning the system, developing the system, etc.

Honestly, a lot of it is just talent. It comes naturally for good coaches, that's why they make it. They pick it up. Players make it because they are athletically gifted, and they put up with the mental stuff (though some are very mentally gifted as well). Coaches make it because they get the concepts.

Throne Logic
07-14-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
There are a lot of similarities in different offenses. Even if the plays are different, many of the concepts are the same. Plus, you have to assume coaches are smarter than players (at least MOST coaches are smarter than MOST players), that is why they are coaches after all. They pick it up faster. Besides, when the players are working in speed, strength, etc., what do you thnk the coaches are doing? Working on learning the system, developing the system, etc.

Honestly, a lot of it is just talent. It comes naturally for good coaches, that's why they make it. They pick it up. Players make it because they are athletically gifted, and they put up with the mental stuff (though some are very mentally gifted as well). Coaches make it because they get the concepts.

Exactly. And I believe that Wyche is one of the smarter ones. I would guarantee that he had imput on this offensive design. Mularky would be a fool not to include him. For that matter, Mularky would be foolish not to include all of his offensive coaches when discussing the offense on any level. The more everyone knows and can offer feedback, the better the overall design.

Now couple that with the fact that the coaches know ahead of time what they plan to work on in the upcoming practice. They most likely sit around the night before and plan out the details of every drill and play along with all sorts of contingencies.

Tatonka
07-14-2004, 11:31 AM
what about the saying

"too many chefs can spoil the soup" or some crap like that?

wazz
07-14-2004, 11:47 AM
When u've been a coach - especially as long as whyche - once u've seen one play, you've seen them all. If u doin a 3 step drop wit the QB, u know roughly the timing of the receivers on there routes. So for each fromation they just ajust final positions of plays.

they'll know what's going on when where and how

The Spaz
07-14-2004, 11:47 AM
what about the saying

"too many chefs can spoil the soup" or some crap like that?

When I start seeing articles about the coaches bickering then I'll worry about it but I doubt it happens they all know and have worked with eachother before. Also T what do you think of my fantasy football teams?:beers:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49667

lordofgun
07-14-2004, 12:10 PM

Impossible. You read message boards. :up:

wazz
07-14-2004, 01:51 PM
might be UN-possible...

TedMock
07-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Chalk it up to it being their jobs. I've switched companies in my industry and managed to pick everything up. The systems may be different, but the game's the same. I figure it's the same for all fields.

ryjam282
07-15-2004, 09:35 AM
T, I think the answer is....Mostly all offenses are the same in terms of routes and hot reads and things of that nature...The only thing that changes is the terminology.....

So, with Kill-drive's offense certain words mean one thing and in another offense the same word means something completely different. Like the word Eagle in Kill-drives O might mean TE and in Mularkey's offense Eagle means slot receiver or something like that...

So, Wyche only had to learn the new terminology and Brown has to redo his whole thinking so I believe that is what he meant...He has to retrain his mind on some words and Wyche is helping him with that. Losman would be in a little better spot in that respect because this is his first time learning these, college ones are usually a lot less complex.

ryjam282
07-19-2004, 08:28 AM
anymore questions ;) :D