• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Summer position battles: AFC East

Lee Evans vs. Josh Reed

The Bills used their first-round pick in April on Evans, a speed player who impressed at the team's minicamps. He can flat-out run, which is something this offense needs. The one concern with Evans is that he had major knee surgery two years ago, although he did recover to play well last year for Wisconsin. Reed took over as the starter opposite Eric Moulds last season when Peerless Price was traded to the Falcons. Reed caught 58 passes for 588 yards, which is just over 10 yards per catch. That's not good enough. His speed is so-so, which is why he is more of a third-down receiver. He can't stretch a defense, and that showed up last season.

Edge: Reed. He knows the offense and knows how to get open.

Opening-day starter: Evans. You can't keep speed like he has on the bench, especially with Drew Bledsoe chucking it around.

• ryjam282
    Offical Billszone Starting QB
    • Mar 2003

Ryan Withey
    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

They'll both get lots of playing time, with Evans providing much needed speed, and Reed giving us a big time possession guy out of the slot.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• wazz
        • Jan 2004

With Reed moving to the slot, i'd not be surprised to see him get better numbers this year. With his olid hands and hopefully the same will to go over the middle, he willbe a great outlet for Bledose underneath and has very good elusiveness despite his lack of outright speed. His average per catch should increase and with evans and moulds able to stretch and switch, he will probably get the same if not more cathes as he had this season
        www.billsaddiction.com

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
          Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by The Spaz
          [B]Edge: Reed. He knows the offense and knows how to get open.
          Actually, I think the biggest knock on Reed is his absolute inability to get open. When the offensive line actually got some momentum for once, and pulled together for Bledsoe, Bledsoe was still pasted b/c
          A. Moulds was not %100
          B. Shaw and Reed both couldn't beat man coverage and get open in time consistently.

If Reed and/or Shaw could of gotten open consistently with Moulds limping around, I guarantee at least 5 sacks wouldn't of been taken.
          "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
          -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• The Spaz
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
            Actually, I think the biggest knock on Reed is his absolute inability to get open. When the offensive line actually got some momentum for once, and pulled together for Bledsoe, Bledsoe was still pasted b/c
            A. Moulds was not %100
            B. Shaw and Reed both couldn't beat man coverage and get open in time consistently.

If Reed and/or Shaw could of gotten open consistently with Moulds limping around, I guarantee at least 5 sacks wouldn't of been taken.
            If Moulds wasn't hurt a lot of things wouldn't have happened.

Comment

• BillsRockSOMUCH
              Exhausted of Losing
              • Mar 2004

I'm sure Evans will end up starting. I think Evans is a great package and would really give a legitimate speed #2 for Bledsoe and would get double-teams of Moulds something I'm not sure Reed can do. I think Evans was one of the more ready WRs in the draft class and was ready to start right away. I really think he will start and will make an big impact. Reed should be more effective and comfortable in the slot.

Comment

• BillsRockSOMUCH
                Exhausted of Losing
                • Mar 2004

Sam Cowart vs. Jonathan Vilma
                Middle linebacker Sam Cowart is a veteran who has slowed down a bunch because of injuries. That's not a good thing playing for Herman Edwards or new defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, who comes over from the Ravens, a team known for speed on defense. That's why the Jets used their first-round pick on Vilma, a fly-to-the-ball linebacker out of Miami. He is instinctive as well, which is why he should pick up the defense quickly. He is small at 225 pounds, but didn't they say that about Ray Lewis once upon a time? To think Vilma is in that class would be premature, but he has that type of ability.
                Edge: Cowart. He knows the ins and outs of being an NFL linebacker.
                Opening-day starter: Vilma. Good luck trying to keep this kid on the bench.
                Why don't the Jets start Cowart in the middle and Vilma on the outside? Vilma can play OLB. Cowart is a very good MLB and should start in the middle while Vilma can still start and get some experience on the outside.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Jets are idiots??
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• The_Philster
                    • Jul 2002

Technically speaking, Cowart's best position would be at WLB...the spot most similar to the MoLB spot he played in Buffalo. When he was drafted, we were playing a 4-3 and WLB was where he was practicing. We switched to a 3-4 to get him on the field and because MoLB was a similar spot. In Buffalo, he only played a preseason and a few plays of one regular season game at the true MLB position.
                    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

Working...
                    X