PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 2k5 player ratings ratings.

ShadowHawk7
07-14-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm slightly dissapointed here, I think Eric Moulds (Barely better than Santana Moss, and faster and stronger than ratings indicate.) and Spikes deserve better but oh well. It's nice to see Travis Henry getting some nice regocnition for once. No Lee Evans, which means he'll be ranked under a 82.

Top 9 Bills players. Click "next shot" for the rest of the league. (http://www.operationsports.com/GameScreenshots.asp?game=espnnfl2005xbox&LastOrder=86&direction=next)

Wolffman
07-14-2004, 02:05 PM
I don't play ESPN, but those rankings seem fair enough. I would like to see Bledsoe a bit higher, and maybe Spikes higher.

ShadowHawk7
07-14-2004, 02:27 PM
Not to worry, we can always *ahem* tweak the ratings a bit. ESPN is gonna blast Madden in terms of gameplay this year. They may not beat them in sales, but the game will be better. ESPN 2003 and 2004 actually ranked a bit better than the Maddens they faced on IGN.com.

ryjam282
07-14-2004, 02:33 PM
ESPN fails in comparison to Madden usually but I have heard some good things about the game this year but Madden still tops my list though.

BillsRockSOMUCH
07-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
No Lee Evans, which means he'll be ranked under a 82.

That's no surprise, usually only the top 5 picks are 80 or above.

BillsRockSOMUCH
07-14-2004, 04:18 PM
They have Brian Westbrook rated above Travis Henry!!! :mad: :eek:

ryjam282
07-14-2004, 08:43 PM
That is why I stay with Madden...That is a joke.

Tatonka
07-14-2004, 08:51 PM
you forgot to mention a few major things.. on top of the fact that ESPN comes out a month earlier than madden (i just preordered my copy on ebgames.com for 7/20/04 delivery)... they have reduced thier price to 19.99$!!!

you really CANT buy it at that price.. and being that it will be out so soon.. and the game play last year was better.. and will be even more improved with this version.

if you havent ever played it.. the graphis ARE better.. it is very noticable.

so people are stuck on madden.. mainly because they have been playing madden for over 10 years..

i think ESPN really got the right idea this year.. their marketing last year was horrible.. they released the game for the same price as madden AND released it after madden.. so everyone already had madden and most didnt go out and buy another game..

that will all change this year..i think a TON of people will get both.. and actually play and compair themselves.. and then they will see.

JJamezz
07-14-2004, 10:08 PM
Damn T, you beat me to it...

I just read that about the price and thought it was some kinda joke at first! But I didn't know they had moved the date up - last I saw it was scheduled for about a week after Madden, in late August. I wonder if this was the plan all along.

THe only semi-disturbing thing I read was that the PS2 graphics are supposedly better than XBOX?!?! WTF is up with that?

Thats a great site shadowhawk, thanks - there's also some videos on there:

http://www.operationsports.com/media/movies/espnnfl2005xbox/1.wmv

http://www.operationsports.com/media/movies/espnnfl2005xbox/2.wmv

http://www.operationsports.com/media/movies/espnnfl2005xbox/3.wmv

lordofgun
07-14-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by JJamezz
THe only semi-disturbing thing I read was that the PS2 graphics are supposedly better than XBOX?!?! WTF is up with that?

:snicker:

JJamezz
07-14-2004, 10:32 PM
:mad:

ShadowHawk7
07-14-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by JJamezz
Thats a great site shadowhawk, thanks

Not a problem. :up:

Originally posted by ryjam282
ESPN fails in comparison to Madden

How so? The only thing I like better about Madden is I like the Hit Stick a bit better than Maximum Tackle. You'd think all those Turkey Legs would finally kill Mr. Madden.. Hopefully before he makes millions by re-releasing the same game with a new cover boy next year. :snicker2:

Originally posted by Tatonka
you forgot to mention a few major things.. on top of the fact that ESPN comes out a month earlier than madden (i just preordered my copy on ebgames.com for 7/20/04 delivery)... they have reduced thier price to 19.99$!!!

you really CANT buy it at that price.. and being that it will be out so soon.. and the game play last year was better.. and will be even more improved with this version.

if you havent ever played it.. the graphis ARE better.. it is very noticable.

so people are stuck on madden.. mainly because they have been playing madden for over 10 years..

i think ESPN really got the right idea this year.. their marketing last year was horrible.. they released the game for the same price as madden AND released it after madden.. so everyone already had madden and most didnt go out and buy another game..

that will all change this year..i think a TON of people will get both.. and actually play and compair themselves.. and then they will see.

Wow, couldn't of said it better myself. Agreed %100, great post T. This game is gonna be amazing.

ryjam282
07-15-2004, 07:48 AM
I have read countless reviews on both games and it is hard to judge Madden this year cause it isn't even out yet. But all the reviews I have read say the mostly the same thing. NFL2K5 is getting closer to Madden but Madden still takes the cake, at least this year.

Tatonka
07-15-2004, 07:53 AM

i meant to say that at 19.99.. your really can't afford NOT to buy it.. it is so inexpensive.. that all the people that are jonesing for training camp and just anything football, like everyone on this board.. they will all go get it...

and that is all ESPN needed to do... just get the game in the peoples hands and let them decide by playing them both.. because people will buy madden.. it is going to happen.. but the battle between the two will really be on this year.. and you will get valid points from alot more people.. as opposed to people in years past that just dogged ESPN/2K football because it wasnt madden.. but had no true knowledge of the game..

Tatonka
07-15-2004, 07:54 AM
I have read countless reviews on both games and it is hard to judge Madden this year cause it isn't even out yet. But all the reviews I have read say the mostly the same thing. NFL2K5 is getting closer to Madden but Madden still takes the cake, at least this year.

i dont know what reviews you read.. but last year, madden lost to ESPN football by a hair on ign, which is the best game review site imho.

ryjam282
07-15-2004, 08:56 AM
I use Game Stop and I have a subscription to Gamepro and Electronic Gaming Monthly, they said it is really coming up but at that price, your right. I may just buy it and give it a try.....Have they cured the whole stopping on a dime thing? Like when you go out of bounds, they just stop in place and stuff like that???

ShadowHawk7
07-15-2004, 10:12 AM
i dont know what reviews you read.. but last year, madden lost to ESPN football by a hair on ign, which is the best game review site imho.

It most definitley is the best game site out there. Have you seen any TV spots for this game?

fabolouspaul
07-15-2004, 11:01 AM
5 more days until 2k5! I can't wait. The graphics look unreal.

Tatonka
07-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
It most definitley is the best game site out there. Have you seen any TV spots for this game?

no, i havent.. i am surprised.. but i havent watched much tv since hockey ended.. i just watch tivo.. and zip through commercials.

ryjam282
07-21-2004, 08:01 AM
Just got my Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine and the reviews they gave it are as follows:

They did a special pitting ESPN against Madden and here are the final results.

ESPN, 3 testers scored it 8.5,8.5, and 8.0
Madden Same 3 testers 9.0,9.5, and 9.

So, as you can see, it is pretty close and ESPN is getting a lot closer but they also interviewed testers from other magazines and got these responses.

"Madden just plays better then ESPN, for the casual gamer who wants to play a game a week or so will be perfectly happy with ESPN, it may be the best $20 game ever. But harcore players who don't mind spending $50 on the best will definitely spring for Madden."

"It's gameplay that keeps you coming back and Madden is the king in that department."

"Too many wideouts with stone hands, erratic passes, and a running game that's still a bit too generous keep ESPN behind Madden on the depth chart. ESPN holds a slight edge in overall presentationbut Madden is a better looking game when in motion, even when it comes to ball physics."

I know I will stay with Madden for at least one more year.

Tatonka
07-21-2004, 12:57 PM
based on 3 guys opinions? there are plenty of other sites that say the exact opposite.. just buy both.. it is only 19.99 for god sakes, you cheap ass! :snicker:

ryjam282
07-21-2004, 01:03 PM
hook me up with a $20 spot....

ryguy8161
07-21-2004, 01:58 PM
Just got my copy

Notable ratings not already seen in the thread:

Evans: 81
Moorman: 69:eek:
Losman: 76 (I think)

Michael82
07-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by ryguy8161
Just got my copy

69 for Moorman!?!?! WTF? :eek:

Moorman is in the 90's on Madden.

The Spaz
07-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Moorman 69 WTF?!

ryjam282
07-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Yes, another clear example as to why Madden is hands down better....More true to actual player rankings. :snicker:

Bulldog
07-22-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by ryguy8161
Just got my copy

So how is it? If I didn't pre-order, will most game shops have it in stock?

Tatonka
07-22-2004, 07:52 AM
my copy will be here today... i ordered it from ebgames.com.

Tatonka
07-22-2004, 07:53 AM
all their rankings will change as soon as the do a roster update at the end of training camp..

chill people.. player ratings are not written in stone.

R. Rich
07-22-2004, 08:47 AM
all their rankings will change as soon as the do a roster update at the end of training camp..

chill people.. player ratings are not written in stone.

Who gives a F about player ratings anyway? I have the ESPN game and I played a few games and had Moorman punting. He gets great hang time on his punts and good distance. He put a 53 yard punt right on the 2 yard line in one of the games.

Tatonka
07-22-2004, 10:17 AM
how do you like the game?

Bulldog
07-22-2004, 12:28 PM
my copy will be here today... i ordered it from ebgames.com.

Went to Wal-Mart at lunch time and picked up a copy myself. The guy there said that they haven't been able to stock them fast enough. They must be pretty confident that the Madden lovers will like this game, and in turn be willing to pay a higher price for it next year. A pretty good marketing ploy if you ask me. I never would have considered this game if it wasn't so cheap!

Tatonka
07-22-2004, 01:07 PM
just got my copy.. will report later.

ryjam282
07-22-2004, 01:15 PM
How funny would it be if T came back and said the game sucked....Now that would be comedy.....Give us an update already, it has already been 8 minutes...JEEZ!!! :D

bills_7
07-22-2004, 02:23 PM
its $30 in Canada...... WTF

i think ill jst wait for madden since its gonna burn me 79.99 for the collector edt...

thats not including tax either

Bulldog
07-22-2004, 03:03 PM
Well, he must like it. It's been an hour and a half and still no word from T.

Tatonka
07-22-2004, 03:50 PM
i got one game in before i had to head back to the office after lunch. the graphics are top notch.. no question about that.

the game play is fairly smooth. i have always liked the "power move".. that is where you can either tap the X button for a speed burst or hold it for like 2 seconds and then when you pull another move like lowering your shoulder, you blast someone, or when you spin or juke, it is done better.. that is one of the main things that seperates madden and espn in gameplay..

the running seems pretty accurate.. henry was going for 5, 1, 6, 3, 9, 2.. the receivers that should have good hands do.. like moulds didnt drop anything.. but campbell did drop a deep post pass..

Evans was the first person to score a td for me.. and he smoked his guy too by a mile..

didnt get a chance to mess with mcgahee..

on defense.. wow.. the bills defense is sick.. sam adams, williams, and schobel get pretty consistent pressure.. i had 3 sacks in the game with schobel. he did the nice little move after the sack.. he got up and pointed to his bicep on the way back tot he huddle..
nate clements had a pick and lawyer had a booming hit.. they had reese as the starter.. but that will change with the training camp update.. as well as adding gildon :D

overall it was very fun.. i didnt really get to read the book or experiment with the playcalling.. i noticed you can do alot of adjustments to the plays while you are picking them.. i just didnt know how and didnt have time to read up.

the presentation was great.. just the opening scene and berman's voice with the clips of the games mixed in with real footage and then before the game, showing bills fans tailgating... it was sweet..

gave me the chills for a second thinking about hte season being so close!!

the negatives.. at this point i cant really see much.. but like i said.. i am one game in.. the playbook seemed somewhat dry.. but i am sure that can be adjusted.. or even swapped out for another teams playbook.. i am sure it is dry because they really dont know what the new bills offense will look like.

the kickoffs.. i suck at them.. always have.. so i am putting that down as a negative.. and they still had antonio brown returning them.. but that will be changed by training camp too :snicker:

Marvelous
07-23-2004, 04:00 AM

mainly because they have been playing madden for over 10 years..

So true. Ive been playing Madden since 92. And i've no reason to leave.
But i have some questions about 2K5's franchise mode.
I ecpect a full report on my desk by friday morning :-)

Madden neggatives-
-The Draft- i just hate the whole layout of it with scouting.
-The soundtrack. But i can tun off what i don't like so it's a plus..

Do these games have the rights to use the songs another year later? That would be cool if the Madden special edition had all the songs from years past....

Ill try 2K5 if the franchise mode sounds good :-)

Tatonka
07-23-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Sippio
So true. Ive been playing Madden since 92. And i've no reason to leave.
But i have some questions about 2K5's franchise mode.
I ecpect a full report on my desk by friday morning :-)

Madden neggatives-
-The Draft- i just hate the whole layout of it with scouting.
-The soundtrack. But i can tun off what i don't like so it's a plus..

Do these games have the rights to use the songs another year later? That would be cool if the Madden special edition had all the songs from years past....

Ill try 2K5 if the franchise mode sounds good :-)

i just started on the franchise mode last night.. didnt get a chance to do a draft or anything.. i have to go through the season first.. i had to play arizona in the preseason..

but the layout of eveyrthing is real nice.. they have a feature called "the crib" which is my house basically.. and as you win games and acheive goals.. you get points.. you use those points to buy everything from music to drew bobbleheads to furniture, ect..

i thought it was pretty cool.. alot like the espn hockey

Bulldog
07-23-2004, 07:45 AM
T, did you think it was kind of hard to move the ball on offense? I usually play Madden, so maybe I just need to get used to it. The graphics are awsome. I just need to get used to what all the different buttons can do as far as audublies on both offense and defense.

Earthquake Enyart
07-23-2004, 07:49 AM
For $20, it's worth a try.

I'M A BELIEVER
07-23-2004, 02:51 PM
I picked up the game today and started playing....I had to sign Gildon and he wouldn't take anything less that 3 million....I wish I had TD there to help me......but Gildon rates a 90 which got me
excited...
The game play was good....some of the equipment on the players (especially facemasks) was off and that always peeves me for some reason...
The Sportscenter feature is cool, and you can put guys on the trade block and wait for offers.....Tampa offered me some DE and Michael Pittman for Jeff Posey....not sure if I will bite....
Overall a fun game and cool to play with WM and Evans.....I am going to have to update rosters as soon as possible, hoping that will include the TE Peters...
Clarence Coleman was one player that wasn't on the roster...

R. Rich
07-27-2004, 08:55 AM
how do you like the game?

It sucks. It's not as fun as Madden. Madden is the greatest game of all time. There's no room for any game, even non-sports games, except for Madden, God's gift to gaming.

Now, to step back into reality, I like the ESPN game. It's a lot of fun. Given the choice of any football game out there (meaning I could have only one), I wouldn't take either game. I'd take NCAA Football 2005, which is my favorite. But, there's always room for more games, especially sports games. In fact, I just bought 2 old hockey games that were on clearance at Circuit City.

Tatonka
07-27-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog
T, did you think it was kind of hard to move the ball on offense? I usually play Madden, so maybe I just need to get used to it. The graphics are awsome. I just need to get used to what all the different buttons can do as far as audublies on both offense and defense.

i think running is almost perfect.. if you follow your blocker and hit the hole right.. you pick up about 4 yards.. which is right.. and every once in a while.. if you get the combo of the power shoulder and stiff arm down.. you will break one.. i think it is fun banging the crap out of the X button trying to keep the speed burst going.. i just think it makes it more real.. because if you get tired.. you get caught.. like in real life..

on offense.. what you really need to do is start with some bread and butter stuff.. utilize your RB and FB in the flats for short quick completions... then work your way out from there as you get more comfortable.. TE stuff.. the Play action seems to work good.. and another thing that i have had alot of success with is the pump fake.. if you double tap the button for the receiver your throwing to, it will pump fake it.. then press it a third time and your completions will be alot higher percentage..

i will post this on ry's thread too.. since he took it upon himself to start a new one.. :shakeno:

:snicker:

ryjam282
07-27-2004, 10:17 AM
Always taking shots huh :oj:

I get more ZB's that way

Tatonka
07-27-2004, 11:13 AM
zb whore.

:shakeno:

ShadowHawk7
07-27-2004, 11:33 AM
Just got my Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine and the reviews they gave it are as follows:

They did a special pitting ESPN against Madden and here are the final results.

ESPN, 3 testers scored it 8.5,8.5, and 8.0
Madden Same 3 testers 9.0,9.5, and 9.

On IGN, ESPN got a 9.4. I'd like to see Madden beat that. ESPN rocks, and so does all the new features. Listening to Funk MasterFlex's trash talk is annoying but that's one drop in the proverbial bucket.
I just tweaked all the ratings a bit before I started a Franchise. So I added Gildon, and made Moorman a hell lot better and sum other stuff.