PDA

View Full Version : oklahoma FS to work out the bills

Hermanator21
07-15-2004, 11:37 AM
Just read on ffmastermind.com (quickbites) that Brandon Everage will be working out for four teams including the Bills. He was a four time All Big 12 selection and helped win a national championship in 2000. He has some injury concerns and has been arrested 3 times.

Does anybody know how good this kid was?

The Spaz
07-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Yeah total waste of talent and has major off field issues with drugs and alcohol. No thanks!:down:

Tatonka
07-15-2004, 12:10 PM
this guy was good enough to be a 1st round pick if he wouldnt have had problems with smoking weed, and getting drunk in public.

he really blew his chances like a total moron.. we had alot of debate about him around draft time, because there was still alot of thought that he would get drafted early on day 2...

turns out that ALL the teams were seriously concerned about his attitude/addictions.. and the guy literally went from a 1st rounder to undrafted.. all because of his own doing off the field.

i believe he was arrested 2 x for drinking, and busted for weed too..

ryjam282
07-15-2004, 12:10 PM
I want no part of that crazyiness...No matter how good he is. Teams obviously passed on him for a reason.

Tatonka
07-15-2004, 12:12 PM
i say we grab him and darrell russell and let them room together.

:snicker:

i am sick of having a team full of upstanding citizens.

i want some screw ups like the ones that won the cowboys superbowls! newton, irvin, lett, deion...

:jk:

mypoorfriendme
07-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

i want some screw ups like the ones that won the cowboys superbowls! newton, irvin, lett, deion...

:jk:

winning isnt everything, its the only thing. if everage can even push PP or IR for the FS spot, i would love him to be on this team. i might understand the off the field problems if they were a bit more serious like assault or something, but like everyone says "this is a business."

i am all for everage

The Spaz
07-15-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
winning isnt everything, its the only thing. if everage can even push PP or IR for the FS spot, i would love him to be on this team. i might understand the off the field problems if they were a bit more serious like assault or something, but like everyone says "this is a business."

i am all for everage

How many times would you like the guy to be arrested before he shouldn't be touched?!:shakeno:

tomdonahoe
07-15-2004, 03:25 PM
How old is he though? There have been plenty of guys (not just athletes) that have turned around their lives. Why can't he? Maybe he won't but maybe he will. Who knows?

Besides smoking weed and getting drunk isn't as bad as attempted murder like some of these guys.

Plus I'm bias because I'm worried about our FS spot. Not to mention CB depth, LDE and LG.

tomdonahoe
07-15-2004, 03:30 PM
One guy in sports that turned it around was Caron Butler. He was a serious thug when he was younger with a rap sheet like a phone book. But he turned his life around and is successful. It can happen.

Tatonka
07-15-2004, 03:56 PM
if TD signs him then i will be all for it.. because i trust that TD wouldnt bring in garbage that would hurt this team.

The Natrix
07-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Who cares about booze and weed? Bring him aboard. :up:

wazz
07-15-2004, 06:00 PM
i think sometimes the right chance, the right team and a player like this guy can really bloom into a great great player. maybe he'll grab the second chance and make the most of it.

I follow the packers a lot because of my dad, and when they won the superbowl, one of the biggest probelms was a so called "trouble player". His name was Andre Rison. Hw was a trouble maker, always doing something worng. came to green bay at the last minute, knuckled down and played SUPERBLY. ESPECIALLY in the superbowl.

sometimes it works out, he undrafted so the money wouldn't be daft if we had to cut him fopr being a disaster, and also as was pointed out, i don't think TD or Mularky would stand for a trouble player. they'll bring him if they think they can ake it work, and we have to trust them

TedMock
07-16-2004, 09:12 AM
They'd really have to sit him in a room and talk to him. I'm willing to forgive a 21 year old kid for being stupid. Lord knows that I had my fair share of trouble at that age. People grow up (hopefully) and get smarter. Heck, even Rasheed Wallace turned around this year, and that paid dividends for the Pistons. Now if they sit there dumbfounded by his stupidity and arrogance then he's not worth it. It's going to have to be a judgement call based on conversation. Hey, you win some, you lose some.

ryjam282
07-16-2004, 09:27 AM
Nice post TedMock, I couldn't agree more. :up:

B-DON
07-16-2004, 11:39 AM
why was randy moss passed up again? exactly!!!! im not saying this guy has moss talent but he was damn good for oklahoma and we all know they always have one hell of a defense. i wanted him right after the draft when he went undrafted. as for the beer and weed, we would only have 3 posters in here if we banned everybody who got drunk or high

DraftBoy
07-16-2004, 12:33 PM
He's not gona sign for much and we have very legitimate and serious concerns about FS this season. This kid was rated higher than Taylor based solely on playing ability. Thats how good he can be. He had a solid Senior Bowl too but blew off practices and stuff. He thought he was gonna get drafted in a cakewalk. Now he's messed up and he knows it. This kid is in the Ed Reed-Roy Williams-Sean Taylor mold. He hits, makes talckles, and makes plays no doubt about it Id bring him in. If he messes up again Id ship him out. Everybody deserves a second chance especially after college. Why should athletes beheld to diffrent standards then we hold ourselves?

Tatonka
07-16-2004, 12:45 PM
draftboy...

couple things..

your high if you think that even on pure playing ability he was rated higher than taylor.. nobody has been rated that high in a long time..

as far as the senior bowl.. he sucked in the practices and in the game..

The Spaz
07-16-2004, 12:49 PM
draftboy...

couple things..

your high if you think that even on pure playing ability he was rated higher than taylor.. nobody has been rated that high in a long time..

Thank you.:beers:

ryjam282
07-16-2004, 12:50 PM
I agree, Sean Taylor was one of the highest rated safeties of recent memory.

LtBillsFan66
07-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by tomdonahoe
How old is he though? There have been plenty of guys (not just athletes) that have turned around their lives. Why can't he? Maybe he won't but maybe he will. Who knows?

Besides smoking weed and getting drunk isn't as bad as attempted murder like some of these guys.

Plus I'm bias because I'm worried about our FS spot. Not to mention CB depth, LDE and LG.

Good points.

DraftBoy
07-16-2004, 01:40 PM
draftboy...

couple things..

T look at the ratings of FS before this past year and I guarantee you that you see he and Taylor were a clear 1a and 1b. Never a question about it. Ive watched this kid since he's been a freshman and he's very near Taylor in every way imaginable playing wise. As for the senior bowl he didnt suck. I watched the game he want routinely burned or called out. His practices however did suck. Nobody has been rated higher than Taylor in a long time what about Reed or Williams. Id put them both ahead of Taylor imo. Everage is in the same mold, no doubt about it.

Throne Logic
07-16-2004, 02:05 PM
For every feel-good turnaround story out there, there was a point in time where most everyone was afraid to take a chance. Toss Chris Carter into that mix, too.

What is there to lose, assuming the follow TedMock's plan, which I'm absolutely sure they'd do.

He'll sign for so little, he won't even show up on the Salary CAP sheet. If he screw's up, cut him. No big loss.

The Spaz
07-16-2004, 02:13 PM
Lets not get crazy with his "feel good" stories until we actually sign the guy.

elltrain22
07-17-2004, 12:15 PM
He is a head case, and I am not to sure about that move.

DraftBoy
07-17-2004, 11:45 PM
There is no move yet Elltrain, just a workout. He hasnt signed anywhere.

HenryRules
07-18-2004, 10:17 AM
I was pretty certain that someone else had already signed him as a non-drafted free agent???

I think we have enough solid vets that would keep the guy in line (Milloy and Vincent are two specifically that will be with him daily) should he continue to screw up.

One thing I think a lot of people need to remember - it's a lot easier (and happens more frequently) to mature off the field than it is to all of a sudden develop incredible football talent. Picking up solid citizens to round out our training camp fodder really has no upside - whereas signing someone like this could perhaps pay huge dividends.

mypoorfriendme
07-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
One thing I think a lot of people need to remember - it's a lot easier (and happens more frequently) to mature off the field than it is to all of a sudden develop incredible football talent. Picking up solid citizens to round out our training camp fodder really has no upside - whereas signing someone like this could perhaps pay huge dividends.

word

ScottLawrence
07-18-2004, 08:17 PM
Does anyone know when this work out actually is?

DraftBoy
07-18-2004, 10:12 PM
KFFL reports its within the next 2 weeks

Goobylal
07-19-2004, 07:43 AM
What's the decision? This kid got a huge wake-up call when he went from a possible 1st round pick, to undrafted. That will humble anyone. And it's not like the Bills or any team would be giving him a huge contract or that his attitude would destroy a team because he's a nobody at this point. I say if he passes the physical and drug test, and looks good in workouts, offer him a contract with a modest ($150K) signing bonus but with a "morality" clause that allows the Bills to recoup the bonus if he screws up again. It's really a low-risk high-reward situation, again if he's healthy.

ryjam282
07-19-2004, 08:01 AM
I have to agree, if he plays well in the tryout, give him a shot. With the people on this team, I am sure they can keep him in line. And being undrafted it isn't like he will be offered millions of dollars. He would be lucky to get anything at all so who knows. I say give him a shot.

Philly Zoner
07-19-2004, 09:36 AM
TD knows all this youth/character business. Jason Peters wasn't drafted for similar reasons and here he is in lovely Orchard Park. if his skills impress TD and he realizes he can't command big $$, he'll be on our camp roster.