PDA

View Full Version : Commitment to running the ball should pay dividends for Bills

The Spaz
07-15-2004, 02:10 PM
t’s safe to say that Jim McNally, the Bills’ new offensive line coach, is happy about new head coach Mike Mularkey’s emphasis on being physical and staying committed to running the ball in 2004.

Though he has been on the job for less than six months, McNally has seen enough of his much-maligned O-line unit to see that he has some work to do to get it playing as a top-flight group.

But it’s not as if he doesn’t have talented athletes with whom to work. Quite the opposite. McNally is excited about the potential of the Bills’ line and believes that the combination of factors that contributed to the line’s subpar play in 2003 can be corrected for ’04.

McNally acknowledged that in watching nine or 10 Bills games from last season on film, he noticed the same things most Bills observers harped on throughout the team’s disappointing 6-10 season — namely that QB Drew Bledsoe needs to get rid of the ball quicker, the Bills need to run the ball more and the receivers need to run quicker pass routes.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/Features/2004/holbrook071504.htm

mybills
07-15-2004, 02:56 PM
>>>In C Trey Teague, he believes he has an intelligent, steady anchor for a line<<<

I still have a problem with his snaps.

>>>The line was often a scapegoat for Bledsoe’s woes in 2003, when the veteran quarterback was sacked 49 times. But McNally believes that Mularkey’s professed commitment to the run will lower that number dramatically.<<<<

Ya think?

>>>"But the head coach has said we’re going to run the ball. I mean, he’s vocally said it. I’m sure he’s going to be true to his word. We’ve got an outstanding defense, so by running the ball, (using) play-action pass and playing defense, we should be better.”<<<

:bravo:

Pride
07-15-2004, 02:56 PM
good read. all lip service until week 1. We leared all too much about "we must run the football" is all BS until we see it.

Thanks again Gilbride! :mad:

wazz
07-15-2004, 06:12 PM
i think it's a good aticle. McNally is saying the right things so how much u can take for sure...who knows. but he's been in the game and he WILL get the best out of Teague.

i also like that he admits that what they were doing with Sullivan, Tucker and P.... wa stupid. so each will get a REAL shot at the role and see what they can do

justasportsfan
07-15-2004, 06:34 PM
Hopefully McnAlly can improve Teague like he did Ziegler.