PDA

View Full Version : Van Miller wins Rozelle award

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-15-2004, 02:54 PM
http://www.profootballhof.com/index.cfm?section=enshrinement&cont_id=249186

THE PETE ROZELLE RADIO-TELEVISON AWARD
For Longtime Exceptional Contributions To Radio and Television in Professional Football

2004 Winner – Van Miller

Van Miller, the longtime “voice of the Buffalo Bills,” is the 2004 winner of the Pete Rozelle Radio and Television Award. The award which is presented by the Pro Football Hall of Fame is for longtime exceptional contributions to radio and television in professional football. Miller will be honored Saturday, August 7 at the Enshrinees Dinner, during the annual Pro Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement Weekend Celebration.

A veteran of 55 years of radio and television work, Miller has done it all. It is however, as the play-by-play voice of the Bills that he is best known. Although his broadcasting career began at WFCB in Dunkirk, New York, Van came to Buffalo in 1955 when the WBEN Radio and Television Network offered him a “three-month job as a summer replacement.” He took the job and stayed for 43 years.

elltrain22
07-17-2004, 12:16 PM
That man deserves it, I will really miss hearing his voice.

Halbert
07-17-2004, 02:34 PM
Me too. I'm really bummed. I wish they could have squeezed one more season out of him.

Great for him to get the award. That's quite an accomplishment when you consider the other guys who have won it.

I was excited to read this "Miller hasn't been told what kind of role he'll have on Bills radio broadcasts next season."

I hope they find a way to sneak his voice in there somehow. Game day will seem a little empty for a while if they don't.

Turf
07-17-2004, 10:53 PM
I'd say that's just Vantastic. Vandemonium.

BigZ
07-19-2004, 12:00 PM
First local sports announcer to win it!!!!!

After listening to Van all these years we should have guessed it would be him to set a new precedent.

Go Van - we all miss you.