PDA

View Full Version : Gildon to Buffalo?!(More news)

The Spaz
07-15-2004, 05:42 PM
According to sources outside the Bengals, the club reached a new contract Thursday with one of their sack leaders from last season in starting left defensive end Duane Clemons.

The Bengals later confirmed the agreement that extends him two years past the original that was set to expire after this season. <b>The move looks like it is going to take the Bengals out of the Jason Gildon derby, which may end as soon as Thursday with the Steelers all-time sack leader going to Buffalo.</b> Peter Schaffer, Gildon's agent, indicated he'll get an answer later from his client. But it appears the Bengals have decided to put their money on Clemons, a player younger and more experienced in a 4-3 defense than Gildon.

http://www.bengals.com/

wazz
07-15-2004, 05:50 PM
interesting.... would appear to give us the upper hand, but really both positions up for grabs are quite similar, so he's not ours yet is he. He'll be a backup whereverhe goes, but perhaps with Buffalo if he can adjust he could see time on the end

The Spaz
07-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Clemons takes home $2 million this year instead of his $9000,000 original salary, and the Bengals get him for two more years while taking only about an extra $500,000 salary cap hit for 2004. Still, that puts them close to the $4.6 million they have to spend on their 11 draft picks.

wazz
07-15-2004, 06:02 PM
i think that HAS to be a typo!!!

$2million instead of $9000,000 <----- THAT's $9 MILLION!!!!!

one hell of a pay cut

The Spaz
07-15-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by wazz
i think that HAS to be a typo!!!

$2million instead of $9000,000 <----- THAT's $9 MILLION!!!!!

one hell of a pay cut

I just noticed that too. It is a typo but this could almost confirm Gildon to the Bills with this salary information.

wazz
07-15-2004, 06:06 PM
if he cheap, then lets grab him by the balls!!

Wolffman
07-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Man I just got excited. We better get this guy or I'll be REAL disappointed.

Well maybe I should learn as a Bills fan to never get excited...

TigerJ
07-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Maybe they mean he gets a raise to $2 million form $900,000.

The Spaz
07-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Maybe they mean he gets a raise to $2 million form $900,000.

Yes that's what it says.

Jeff1220
07-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Bengals.com always scoops everyone.

The Spaz
07-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Jeff1220
Bengals.com always scoops everyone.

Except when they reported they signed Warren Sapp.

Slick
07-15-2004, 10:06 PM
I'm not too impressed with Posey, it'd be great if Gildon still has something in the tank & can adjust quickly to the 4-3, I'd love to see him start.

saviorbledsoe
07-15-2004, 10:50 PM
idlike to see him take Denneys spot

Tatonka
07-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
idlike to see him take Denneys spot

i would like to see kelsay improve enough to do that personally.. or else we just totally wasted 2 second round picks.

Wolffman
07-15-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i would like to see kelsay improve enough to do that personally.. or else we just totally wasted 2 second round picks.

Kelsay will be able to gain a starting job when/if Gildon retires (of course we have to sign him first) or looses his stuff. I think Kelsay needs a couple more years to mature as a player, and by the time the spot at DE opens up he'll get a shot.

The Spaz
07-16-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Wolffman
Kelsay will be able to gain a starting job when/if Gildon retires (of course we have to sign him first) or looses his stuff. I think Kelsay needs a couple more years to mature as a player, and by the time the spot at DE opens up he'll get a shot.

Gildon will not be a starter on this team wether it be LB or DE only a situational pass rusher. I can see him and Posey on the field at the same time in obvious passing situation with Posey at DE and Gildon as a blitzing LB.

shotgun
07-16-2004, 06:20 AM
Gildon’s agent said Thursday night his client could still choose the Bengals even though speculation centered on the Steelers’ all-time sack leader ending up in Buffalo. Gildon plans to end the derby Friday with an announcement by noon

saviorbledsoe
07-16-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by shotgun
Gildon’s agent said Thursday night his client could still choose the Bengals even though speculation centered on the Steelers’ all-time sack leader ending up in Buffalo. Gildon plans to end the derby Friday with an announcement by noon

i pitty his agent.

saviorbledsoe
07-16-2004, 06:28 AM
If some of you believe he wouldnt start on our D - do you think he was offered a starting spot by the Packers and Bengals? Could be a factor in his decision. Would be in mine.

don137
07-16-2004, 06:45 AM
Where ever Gildon goes I can see it as a 1 year deal like Trotter signed with Philly

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-16-2004, 07:39 AM
http://www.profootballcentral.com/

Take this news for what it is worth.

Tatonka
07-16-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Wolffman

so kelsay gets a few years more to mature.. but denny is trash who gets thrown to the wolves after year 2...

JefftheBillsfan
07-16-2004, 09:01 AM
is it just me, or am i the only one who doesnt think gildon can consistently play DE?

ryjam282
07-16-2004, 09:28 AM
Tic-Toc, Tic-Toc....Pull the trigger already Jason, jeez.

saviorbledsoe
07-16-2004, 09:41 AM
this is the kind of guy who makes an entire line of cars wait while he is trying to figure out which kind of burrito to get at a Taco Bell drive thru.

Wolffman
07-16-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
is it just me, or am i the only one who doesnt think gildon can consistently play DE?

I think he can. He has enough gas left to be a consistant DE against the pass. I'm not exactly sure about his skills against the run, so in that situation I would play Denney or Kelsay, who are bigger and can plug up the line better.

Wolffman
07-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
so kelsay gets a few years more to mature.. but denny is trash who gets thrown to the wolves after year 2...

It was either him or Kelsay. Kelsay was going into his second year, Denney his third. I think starting Denney was the right call, Kelsay would have gotten eaten alive, much worse than Denney.

tomdonahoe
07-16-2004, 10:28 AM
I still don't think Denney played as bad as everyone claims. Sure the sack totals weren't there but I thought he played well against the run most of the time. His consistency was poor, no doubt. He would show up for a couple series and then disappear. Overall though, I thought he held up the line of scrimmage very well against the run allowing our linebackers to make tackles. He defintely needs to improve on his pass rush skills but I think he is getting a bad rap from most Bills fans. He wasn't completely awful like say Pucillio.

Throne Logic
07-16-2004, 11:13 AM
OK, first off, what the heck is his rush? There is absolutely nothing going on right now. I'd take my time and be sure I make the best decision too.

Beyond that, I'm not all that high on Gildon. Eddie Robinson . . .

B-DON
07-16-2004, 11:13 AM
i honestly see no difference in talent from denney or pucillo. denney plays on a line that i could get sacks. imagine bruce in his primewith our d-line now. very scary thought

Samphin1
07-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
this is the kind of guy who makes an entire line of cars wait while he is trying to figure out which kind of burrito to get at a Taco Bell drive thru.

The thing is, both the burritos and Gildon will end up giving you guys heartburn and leave you feeling unfulfilled.:D

The Spaz
07-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Samphin1
The thing is, both the burritos and Gildon will end up giving you guys heartburn and leave you feeling unfulfilled.:D

IYou know I thought the samething with you getting Feeley and Boston!:up:

Samphin1
07-16-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
IYou know I thought the samething with you getting Feeley and Boston!:up:

I bet. You guys just having to think about what Boston and Feeley will do to you guys must have given you heartburn and taken the wind right out of your sails! :D :sukrpnch:

ShadowHawk7
07-16-2004, 11:41 AM

Noon central or noon east? :scratch:
It is 11:41 Central time now. 19 effin minutes Gildon..

The Spaz
07-16-2004, 11:43 AM
I bet. You guys just having to think about what Boston and Feeley will do to you guys must have given you heartburn and taken the wind right out of your sails! :D :sukrpnch:

:rofl::lol:

Novacane
07-16-2004, 12:12 PM

:rofl: The thought of Feeley has me trembling. :snicker:

Novacane
07-16-2004, 12:14 PM
. Gildon plans to end the derby Friday with an announcement by noon

He must have meant noon Pacific time ;)

Michael82
07-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Damn it! Now that Pro Football Central posted that Gildon will be a Bill. We can all agree that he is going to sign somewhere else. PFC is just like PFT and is tabloid internet site at it's finest. :snicker:

mchurchfie
07-16-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
:rofl: The thought of Feeley has me trembling. :snicker:
Yeah, the thought of a former third string QB hooking up with a self absorbed headcase receiver on the juice for a Bomb really makes me shake in my boots too.:snicker:

ShadowHawk7
07-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
He must have meant noon Pacific time ;)

Lol, he's probably flying, as we speak, to the international dateline, to stall as long as possible. :snicker2:

Samphin1
07-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by mchurchfie
Yeah, the thought of a former third string QB hooking up with a self absorbed headcase receiver on the juice for a Bomb really makes me shake in my boots too.:snicker:

Hey, at least you are honest! :D ;) :p:

Kolbiss
07-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Hey, at least you are honest! :D ;) :p:

pennington to moss.......brady to anyone.......bledsoe to moulds/reed/evans/shaw..............but feely to boston, sorry sam, doesn't really concern me.

Charlieguide
07-16-2004, 10:05 PM
Maybe he meant NEXT friday . . .

Michael82
07-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Charlieguide
Maybe he meant NEXT friday . . .

It sure seems like that. :mad:

ScottLawrence
07-16-2004, 10:17 PM
Gildon just signed.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/colum...john&id=1841489