PDA

View Full Version : Quote of the year from Flowers

Romes
07-26-2002, 05:06 PM
No intention to start a debate but I was watching the Empire Sports Report and they were interviewing Eric Flowers. They asked him about his expectations for himself and he came out with this sentence, "I'm not going to pull a Rob and say, oh, the Bills never gave me a chance." I started cracking up. Flowers looks like he is really going to try this year , he knows he is a bust so far he admitted it but he doesn't want to be one. I for one really hope he can shed his bust label.

Ebenezer
07-26-2002, 05:41 PM
I don't think he gets it but at the same time if he really got down under 240 last season then he is just too small to play end. Let this guy try to be on OLB if he can't maintain weight. He said a lot of the right things but if weight is that big an issue then he will never make the cut.

Buffarama
07-26-2002, 06:00 PM
I heard that Rob quote to Cal, I was almost wondering if I really heard it right. Apparantly I did. That locker room last year must have been a tough place to be.

Halbert
07-26-2002, 07:34 PM
Pretty classless thing to say.

Tatonka
07-26-2002, 07:49 PM
Roflmao

clumping platelets
07-26-2002, 08:14 PM
Flowers will not make it through TC

Novacane
07-26-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
Pretty classless thing to say.

Why do you say that? It is refreshing to see an athlete say what is on his mind instead of the politically correct crap that flows from most of their mouths. I hope the guy comes through big this year. Not holding my breath but hoping!

WG
07-26-2002, 09:12 PM
I agree w/ ya CP. I don't think he's gonna be around for our final PS games either.

SABURZFAN
07-27-2002, 05:33 AM
flowers needs to worry about his butt before he spouts off about anybody else.i could see if he were a starter but he's a ham-and-egger.that comment could have been his ticket out of buffalo.

askabry
07-27-2002, 09:20 AM
If Flowers is cut, who makes it as a DE? Schobel, Denney, Fisher (? this guy hasn't done anything yet), Irons, Cotton? Ahanatou? We should have at least five DEs on the squad plus the PS, I'd imagine.

Novacane
07-27-2002, 09:21 AM
I don't get why some are ripping on Flowers for what he said. Sure he has sucked. Rip him for that. But for saying he was not going to whine and cry like RJ did? What is wrong with that?

Dozerdog
07-27-2002, 10:24 AM
I'm with you on this one. Maybe not involk another ex-team mate, but if you sucked and you admitted it, then good for him.

northernbillfan
07-27-2002, 10:51 AM
Yeah at least he had the chutzpah to admit he tried and failed. But I'm with Clump and (gasp) Wys on this, he won't and shouldn't be around for the beginning of the season.

Jas122
07-27-2002, 11:26 AM
Call it like you see it. Did RJ whine like a mule :violin:? Yes. And if anyoe has a right to say something about it, it is anyone who had to deal with the whole thing in the locker room (Flowers being one of them) :shutit:

I for one would like to see how he does before talking about cutting him. He obviously has come to the realization that things aren't just going to happen for him because he was a hot prospect...lets see if the attitude change helps his performance. After all Jevon Kearse was "too small" and did fine. He (Flowers) is still big enough to admit he hasn't been performing to potential, and that may prove to be more important.

Shiny Chicken
07-27-2002, 11:36 AM
I too think some of you are being a little rough on the guy. I think he deserves to get one more shot at being a player for this team....

I don't think that comment was too classless. It wasn't all that nice either. But it definitely doesn't demonstrate any need to kick him off the team.

Halbert
07-27-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I'm with you on this one. Maybe not involk another ex-team mate, but if you sucked and you admitted it, then good for him. You ride the fence like a tightrope walker, Doz. The Great Dozini. lol.

I agree with you, I love his I-sucked-and-I-admit-it attitude. Perhaps some people remember I’ve been a Flowers fan (hopefully that will soon sound normal) for quite a while. With his first round talent, new commitment to physique, and the sense of urgency in his last-chance situation, I think he stands a good chance to finally break out.

But his reference to an ex-teammate is classless, imo. I’d prefer he just stick to discussing himself and his attitudes without dragging in any other distractions. To demonstrate the distinction, consider this paraphrase from Jonas Jennings: “I just want to be on the field where I can do my thing and contribute. I told coach to put me in at second Tight End while Jay is out, if that will allow me to contribute. ” Different situation but that’s still the attitude you want, imo.

Flowers could have said everything he did without dragging old skeletons (literally) out of the closet.

Cntrygal
07-27-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
But his reference to an ex-teammate is classless, imo. I’d prefer he just stick to discussing himself and his attitudes without dragging in any other distractions. To demonstrate the distinction, consider this paraphrase from Jonas Jennings: “I just want to be on the field where I can do my thing and contribute. I told coach to put me in at second Tight End while Jay is out, if that will allow me to contribute. ” Different situation but that’s still the attitude you want, imo.

Flowers could have said everything he did without dragging old skeletons (literally) out of the closet.

I have to agree with Halbert on this.

justasportsfan
07-27-2002, 07:55 PM
It's just as classless as Rob and Flutie blamming others for their failures. They both spoke their minds then and Flowers spoke his now. It's all good. I thought it was funny.

Novacane
07-27-2002, 10:08 PM
With you on that one justa.......
Those two were full of excuses. At least EF is not doing the same.
I too got a good laugh out of it!

Novacane
07-27-2002, 10:09 PM
Plus I am sure the guys in the locker room had to put up with 10 times the whining that we heard about. I am so glad we have a fresh start.

Buffarama
07-27-2002, 10:21 PM
I'm sure no one in the locker room wanted to hear his comment especially at this point with all the positives going on. I am willing to bet he was spoken to about that, and that its just another mark in his days in a Bills uniform.

Novacane
07-27-2002, 10:26 PM
We'll see?

What kind of odds are any of you putting on him being gone?
I say 50/50 at this point.

Buffarama
07-27-2002, 10:58 PM
Being I heard he was dominated early in camp already, I'd say 30 -70. I think he's a Wiley wannabe, and I'm still not sold on Wiley. Wiley lite, and that ain't good.

Earthquake Enyart
07-28-2002, 01:46 PM
Saw the Empire interview too (BTW, whoever the old guy is there in camp, he sucks. Makes me want Bremonte Bryant there. yuck. Or even Ginger). EF seemed to say all the right things. Says he started too light in camp last year, lost weight in camp, then ran out of gas during the season. Says he's been tutored by Rusty Jones regarding how to eat right to keep his weight up the right way. The reference to RJ was more of an aside, rather than an up front slam. I saw nothing wrong with it because he put a smilie after it. :)

He's talking a good game, hope he can play it. If he's gonna be so thin, how bout making him a LB? He is fast.

TigerJ
07-28-2002, 04:52 PM
I reserving judgement (I do that a lot). I'm willing to see what he does on the field. I don't know if he'll make it or get cut. If he's cut I the Bills might think seriously about shifting Robertson to DE. I have my doubts that Fisher makes the team. He's still slow and light even though he's bulked up a little. Cotton looks more like a big OLB like Newman (or Bryce Paup from a few years back) than a DE. I don't know if Maxie can move outside.