PDA

View Full Version : Gildon officially a Buffalo Bill.

ScottLawrence
07-16-2004, 10:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1841489

Now that he is signed.... what should we do with him?

deathadder
07-16-2004, 10:26 PM
To correct the link, it is
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1841489

ScottLawrence
07-16-2004, 10:28 PM
Yea, thanks.

Halbert
07-16-2004, 10:36 PM
I'm skeptical. But if the brass liked him then I guess I like him.

Canadian'eh!
07-16-2004, 10:39 PM
i think we should play him......

McBFLO
07-16-2004, 10:43 PM
good idea, let's play him!

The Spaz
07-16-2004, 10:49 PM
He sure in the hell won't hurt us so I say it's a good signing!:up::beers:

ryjam282
07-16-2004, 11:02 PM
1 year deal...Absolutely brilliant.

ShadowHawk7
07-16-2004, 11:03 PM
I'd say quite a good price as well. :up:
Only locked in for one year though..

Michael82
07-16-2004, 11:11 PM
I like the fact that they are going to have Posey and Gildon compete for the starting job too. :up:

The Spaz
07-16-2004, 11:14 PM
I'm tellign you Posey at DE and Gildon as a blitzing LB on obvious passing situation it will be great!:up::beers:

SoCalBillsFan
07-17-2004, 12:13 AM
Great signing! I was against gildon coming here...but the fact that the got him to sign a one year deal is brilliant. We aren't committing long term if he's washed up or if it doesnt work out. We get competition, depth in case of injury, and a chance at a better pash rush. Nice work front office!

Tatonka
07-17-2004, 12:29 AM
this cheers me up a little!

good work td.. i would have preferred a 2 year deal.. but what the hell.. if we do well and he does well.. i am sure he will want to come back.

Tatonka
07-17-2004, 12:33 AM
it is funny how mr. pokerface (td) was saying that he didnt see gildon as a fit here just a month ago right after he was cut.

lol.

one thing you can always expect with TD is the unexpected..

Wolffman
07-17-2004, 01:05 AM
TD does it again. A 1 year deal was the perfect length, and I love how it is incentive heavy. It will make him work as hard as he can, which obviously can only help the Bills.

I really wouldn't mind seeing him at OLB, and Posey at DE. A 3-4 might work as well. All that is for certain is we've just added another demension to our defense that we didn't have before.

Bmax
07-17-2004, 01:15 AM
good move .. i would like to try him at de in some situations...remember kearse and taylor weigh only 255-260 ..so gildon at 255 could hold up in passing and blitzing situations and even some run downs... i'm just glad we got another vet athletic player to rush the passer .

Denney's days are numbered

Go bills

Wolffman
07-17-2004, 01:47 AM
I love this picture of him:

Mr. Cynical
07-17-2004, 02:24 AM
ANOTHER STEELER CONNECTION?! WTF! :xplode:

(that was a joke, people)

He is cheap and short term. Fine with me. At his age and tenure I'm not expecting too much . I mean, he is signing for low $$ and only 2 other teams showed interest, so it's not like he was a "great" find. But at that price/length who cares.

Man this offseason feels long, doesn't it? :eek:

Hermanator21
07-17-2004, 02:25 AM
On passing downs, this is what the opposing QB will be looking at..........

Wire Milloy
Clements Vincent
Spikes Fletcher Gildon
Schobel Adams Williams Posey
:punk:

That is one helleva D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not saying that Gildon is still a stud, but I think he is the missing link....And he may still have two years of well played ball infront of him.(Vincent,Milloy,Gildon,and Adams all are in the same parts of their careers) we have a very good mix of Veterans, in their prime studs, and maybe good someday players.:goodbad:

Ickybaluky
07-17-2004, 06:13 AM
An outsiders view: Good signing for the Bills.

The Bills needed to improve their pass rush, and Gildon does that. If he gives you more than that it is a bonus, but even if he only contributes as a situational rusher it helps.

Kramer
07-17-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by NE39
An outsiders view: Good signing for the Bills.

The Bills needed to improve their pass rush, and Gildon does that. If he gives you more than that it is a bonus, but even if he only contributes as a situational rusher it helps.

Well thanks for the candid and honest assessment. Some opposing team's fans would knee-jerk and immediately poke fun at the signing no matter how valid it was. Nice to see the maturity level here.

don137
07-17-2004, 07:21 AM
I think this is a good signing for a couple reasons. One, he is not expected to be an every down back but brought in on situations which utilize his strengths which just so happens to be the achilles heel of the defense.More pass rush could lead to more turnovers. Secondly, a one year contract with incentives will ensure Gildon doesn't slack off. He has incentives to strive for and if he has a good year he could cash in next year with a nice contract in FA. Look at Hugh Douglass from the Jags and Joe Johnson from the Packers they got a big contract and then did squat. If Gildon has lose it and is a shadow of his former self the Bills don't get killed on the salary cap

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-17-2004, 11:22 AM
It seems like the Bungals can't get any good FA's they had a chance for Vincent and he chose us and now Gildon chooses us over the Bungals this just proves that the whole Bungals run last yr. was just a fluke!! Their going to have a bad yr. Carson Palmer will fall right on his butt and Marvin Lewis will get fired in the 3rd week of the regular season :lol: ;) :pow: :chair:

Canadian'eh!
07-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by BillsChampsin04
It seems like the Bungals can't get any good FA's they had a chance for Vincent and he chose us and now Gildon chooses us over the Bungals this just proves that the whole Bungals run last yr. was just a fluke!! Their going to have a bad yr. Carson Palmer will fall right on his butt and Marvin Lewis will get fired in the 3rd week of the regular season :lol: ;) :pow: :chair:

Interesting point... I can't really understand why. It seems obvious to me that Cincy resigning clemons to an exstension was not them making the decision to drop out fot he Gildon race, but that they obviously knew they weren't getting him and tried to save face and go with plan B. Vincent, Sapp, Gildon I'm sure there are others have chosen not to go to cincy despite being highly recruited. I'm happy for us, but with the showing htey had last year and Marvin Lewis as coach, I would think some of these guys would want to got here now. I guess tho old Bungles stigmatism is even bigger than Marvin Lewis's fantastic reputation.

Another thing about the GIldon signing I like for us besides the pass rush possibility, I didn't think we had very good depth at LB at all. An injury cold have really hurt us at LB, with no experienced backups. Now at least we have Gildon, who even if he has declined, has experience and some talent to fill in if he must.

:bravo: TD

Halbert
07-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Well Nate Webster and Kim Herring were some pretty good FA pickups, but the Bengals have been left at the alter quite a few times the last two seasons. Spikes was their biggest loss, Vincent probably second. Glad we got both of them.

Halbert
07-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Canadian'eh!
Interesting point... I can't really understand why.
Because their owner is a cheapskate who has driven the team into the ground for a decade with his penny pinching ways.

It appears that maybe he's changed his tune recently, but if I'm a player I'm going to be very skeptical that past history isn't indicative of future results.

mchurchfie
07-17-2004, 11:57 AM
Great signing.:bf1: Gildon will add to a sorely needed passrush and he will should also be able to help the younger players to learn a little faster too....way to go TD!:up:

elltrain22
07-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Glad we finally got him. I think he can really do some things for us.

Dozerdog
07-17-2004, 02:09 PM
Excellent depth too.....

The Natrix
07-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Nice. :up:

Hopefully he isn't Eddie R. II :::

Tatonka
07-17-2004, 02:52 PM
wow.. i owe Miyagi about 15k in zone bucks..

:up:

i am gonna run from him like i would a bookie.

RedEyE
07-17-2004, 03:14 PM
This is a smart and safe pick up. I expect that Gildon will help increase the Bills pass rush, but if he doesn't, it's really not that big of a deal in the long run. He wasn't costly and the Bills can opt not to resign him next season.

Charlieguide
07-17-2004, 04:34 PM
I don't see Posey lining up at DE with Gildon at LB.

Why? Posey is better in coverage than Gildon.

If the two are on the field together, I see two possibilities: 1) Gildon at DE or 2) a 3-4 set with Schobel/Williams/Adams on DL, Gildon/Posey outside, FLetcher/Spikes inside.

Wolffman
07-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Charlieguide
I don't see Posey lining up at DE with Gildon at LB.

Why? Posey is better in coverage than Gildon.

If the two are on the field together, I see two possibilities: 1) Gildon at DE or 2) a 3-4 set with Schobel/Williams/Adams on DL, Gildon/Posey outside, FLetcher/Spikes inside.

In that situation I'd see Gildon on the inside. Spikes is very good in coverage, which is why he'd be outside.

Dozerdog
07-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
wow.. i owe Miyagi about 15k in zone bucks..

i am gonna run from him like i would a bookie.

Tel him ya paid last night but the stupid server fixes wiped it out:up:

Mr. Miyagi
07-17-2004, 04:57 PM
I just can't tell you how happy I am with this signing. :clap::clap::clap:

ScottLawrence
07-17-2004, 10:53 PM
Every time I saw Posey playing DE last year he NEVER got pressure on the quarterback.

I think it should be like this.....

Spikes Fletch Posey

Schobel Adams Williams Gildon, only on passing situations though.:2guns:

HenryRules
07-18-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by ScottLawrence
Every time I saw Posey playing DE last year he NEVER got pressure on the quarterback.

I think it should be like this.....

Spikes Fletch Posey

Schobel Adams Williams Gildon, only on passing situations though.:2guns:

Posey tried playing full-time DE for his first 4 seasons or so in the league and failed - he's only had success at LB and I don't think moving him back to DE is a good idea.

This is a great depth pick-up, but that's all it is, unless we switch to a 3-4. We did not add a starter, just some solid depth (which we sorely needed).

Philagape
07-18-2004, 10:31 PM

Tatonka
07-18-2004, 10:33 PM
nice picture.. i guess ESPN football wont have this pick up yet.. :D

Mahdi
07-19-2004, 12:53 AM
didnt Bobby Taylor also reject the bengals....

Historian
07-19-2004, 07:25 AM
Good signing. Opposing teams will have to adjust for him, which should take some pressure off Scobel, perhaps even Williams, and allow them to do their thing.

More pass rush will help the deep guys too, and possibly result in more turnovers.