PDA

View Full Version : Buildin' better rush with Gildon

The Spaz
07-17-2004, 09:13 AM
The Buffalo Bills are making one more move to try to improve their pass rush before training camp.

The team reached an oral agreement on a one-year contract with former Pittsburgh pass-rushing linebacker Jason Gildon, two NFL sources told The News Friday evening.

Gildon was cut in June by the Steelers, who decided he was in decline after he recorded six sacks, his lowest total in six seasons. Gildon, who turns 32 on July 31, was widely considered the top veteran still available on the market.

The question is: Can he recapture some of his old form? Gildon has 77 career sacks and made three Pro Bowls - in 2001, 2002 and 2003.

He figures to be a situational pass rusher from the strong side for the Bills, competing with Jeff Posey for playing time. Posey will be favored to remain a starter because he is more mobile in pass coverage than Gildon. But Gildon could take over pass-rushing duties from the left side of the defensive line.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040717/1049362.asp

elltrain22
07-17-2004, 12:11 PM
He is certainly going to add an element of our defense that we surely need, and will really open things up for us.

Kramer
07-17-2004, 02:27 PM
All in all I think it was a good pickup. Low-risk potentially high reward. But remember, Eddie Robinson was supposed to add another dimension to our defense also.

Wolffman
07-17-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Kramer
All in all I think it was a good pickup. Low-risk potentially high reward. But remember, Eddie Robinson was supposed to add another dimension to our defense also.

Eddie Robinson isn't the Steelers all-time sack leader either.

The Spaz
07-17-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Wolffman
Eddie Robinson isn't the Steelers all-time sack leader either.

Thanks and remember that Eddie Robinson wasn't the all time leader in anything except getting faked out of his jock strap.

elltrain22
07-17-2004, 02:46 PM
31 is really not that old. They make it sound like he is a friggin' dinosaur or something... I hope he tears it up, and proves all his critics wrong... And I think he will.

ryjam282
07-17-2004, 03:24 PM
Even if he does do poorly, we aren't paying him a lot of money and it is only a 1 year contract.....I think Tom Donahoe has really outdone himself on this one. Great signing.