Clear All
  • clumping platelets
    • Jun 2024

Salary Cap Update from Clayton

Bills $5.5 million as of 7/15

Update to my cap page coming very soon
  • kgun12
    • Jul 2002

So with $5.5 million jsut sitting there, what is the plan? Are they hoping to use that money on one or more of the big 3 free agents or are they waiting for a big name guy (say Ty Law) to get cut sometime before the season starts?
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

Comment

• clumping platelets

Some of that will be needed for the 3 remaining draft picks. The rest, who knows?? It doesn't appear that Schobel, Jennings, or P. Williams are going to sign extensions at this time. P. Williams is the most likely to sign if I had to pick one. His extension will not impact 2004 cap all that much because his salary is $2.6 million and could be reduced some to balance out the proration from any signing bonus. Both Jennings and Schobel have relatively low cap numbers, thus any extension will add to their cap numbers in 2004

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

That $5.5 million probably doesn't include Gildon, so we're really not that flush.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Kramer
          • May 2004

Originally posted by clumping platelets
          Some of that will be needed for the 3 remaining draft picks. The rest, who knows?? It doesn't appear that Schobel, Jennings, or P. Williams are going to sign extensions at this time. P. Williams is the most likely to sign if I had to pick one. His extension will not impact 2004 cap all that much because his salary is $2.6 million and could be reduced some to balance out the proration from any signing bonus. Both Jennings and Schobel have relatively low cap numbers, thus any extension will add to their cap numbers in 2004
          Clump. Does the 5.5M include the Gildon signing?

Comment

• The_Philster
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Kramer
            Clump. Does the 5.5M include the Gildon signing?
            No...the signing took place since the 15th
            Originally posted by clumping platelets
            Bills $5.5 million as of 7/15
            The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• wazz
              • Jan 2004

i thought we had more room than that..... ah well

It's still enough to play with, but i was sure some was freed up by the Bledsoe deal. This figure is actually pretty good coz we also can keep in mind that TD makes cap friendy deals, so noone (except maybe spikes') will have figures that spiral rediculously and whipe out all the room we have.

This though will be enough for the top picks, remembering we have 2 first rounders and should still leave room for another big player or tie up our own free agents. I'm still hoping for Ty Law...
              www.billsaddiction.com

Comment

• clumping platelets

TD can easily find cap space if he feels the addition is worth it. Example, "simple restructure" of Spikes frees up nearly $2 million if they were so inclined. Bills have excellent cap flexibility right now

Comment

• ryjam282
                  Offical Billszone Starting QB
                  • Mar 2003

Clump I have a question, the Bills are roughly 5.5 million under, now signing bonuses are prorated for the length of the contract so can they stop the proration if they want and make it all count this year so it doesn't effect them in the future? For example like what Minnesota did with Winfields contract, they made his whole signing bonus count against this years cap. Would it be possible to do that with say, Spikes' contract? or anyone else? We could free up future space with that, please let me know, thanks a lot.

Ryan Withey
                  Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• clumping platelets

Not that I'm aware of

Winfield's contract included a roster bonus of $10.8 million not signing bonus. That's why it all counted in 2004 cap. Vikes had over $30 million in cap space available when the off-season started, so they could take on that type of cap charge.

Comment

• ryjam282
                      • Mar 2003

Thanks for clearing that up, I appreciate it. That is one hell of a roster bonus though don't you think?

Ryan Withey

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Give me a minute...
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ryjam282
                        Thanks for clearing that up, I appreciate it. That is one hell of a roster bonus though don't you think?
                        you might see more of that in the future if teams can afford it...was a wise move really

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• ryjam282
                          • Mar 2003

I agree 100%, a very wise move, to get some of the big money off the books early.

Ryan Withey

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by wazz
                            i thought we had more room than that..... ah well

It's still enough to play with, but i was sure some was freed up by the Bledsoe deal. This figure is actually pretty good coz we also can keep in mind that TD makes cap friendy deals, so noone (except maybe spikes') will have figures that spiral rediculously and whipe out all the room we have.

This though will be enough for the top picks, remembering we have 2 first rounders and should still leave room for another big player or tie up our own free agents. I'm still hoping for Ty Law...
                            moulds cap figures get ridiculous over the next 2 years..
                            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• ryjam282
                              • Mar 2003

Exactly, that is why I was asking, maybe we could do something to change that if possible. We could use the extra cap to keep some of the FA's we have next year.

Ryan Withey

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

Working...
                              X