PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Pats

JefftheBillsfan
07-26-2002, 09:39 PM
http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/projo_20020726_26jdcol.b4eb4.html

Personally I don't agree, I think the Pats are vastly under-rated, but it does make you think...

A1
07-26-2002, 10:09 PM
I think they will finish third in the division and miss the playoffs.

Brian Cohen
07-26-2002, 10:10 PM
Actually, I think he's kind of easy on them. Despite the fact that many publications don't think that they will make the playoffs, they are still over rated nationally. Never mind what that writer mentions, just think about what he didn't write about: 1. most importantly, the snow job. Bad call, misapplied rule. Brady never made an attempt to tuck the ball or run, so that rule doesn't apply. 2. They scored 2 touchdowns on special teams in the AFC championship game. That is the definition of fluke. Without those scores, they go home. 3. Brady should have been called for intentional grounding on the Patriots last series in the Super Bowl, which would have created 3 and about 25 from inside the Patsie 20. Another blown call created the opportunity for them to win the game.

Bottom line-that team is a joke, didn't beat Oakland, and will finish last in the AFC East, unless the Jets secondary is even worse than I hope it is.

P.S. THE PATRIOTS SUCK!!!!!!!!!

WagonCircler
07-27-2002, 01:21 AM
At the end of the day, I'm glad it shhok down the way it did, otherwise their starting QB this year would be wearing number 11, not 12, and ours would be wearing 10. I'm happy to "stand Pat".

Dozerdog
07-27-2002, 10:42 AM
It' simple geography-

In New England, they are vastly overrated.

In the rest of the country, they are slightly overrated

In New York, Miami, & Buffalo, they are underrated

Dozerdog
07-27-2002, 11:03 AM
New England was the benificiary of some good calls, great seasons out of average players, and some luck.

The patriots are really going to get stung for the following items:

1) Not replacing Glenn. Oh sure, they won a SB without him. But Troy Brown will be doubled up, Patten is no great skhakes, and they are way to high on FA pickup Donald Hayes. Should have not traded up for a TE in a TE rich draft (and FA Market). Should have grabbed Josh Reed instead.

2)Lack of a decent back-up. Less than 30% go through unscathed in a season. Rohan Davie? Might make a great NFLE QB next season, but is way to raw. This team is in deep doo-doo if Brady gets dinged (like in the playoffs)

3)TE spot (see above) They would have been better off grabbing Schoebel or someone else in the 2nd or 3rd, or going for a Ken Dilger. They did aquire a really good, but injury prone TE in Cam Cleeland. But if you deal up and give away as much as they did for Graham, why waste rescources on Cleeland? An expensive mentor.

4) Charlie Weiss- this is really a crazy story. For those who did not hear, He is their O/C who redesigned the Pat's offense around Brady. Very conservative approach was boooooring, but it stayed away from mistakes.

He was considered for some Head Coaching spots during the offseason. He was a top candidate for the Tampa Bay job when Parcells dropped out. For whatever reason, he thought that because he is a really fat guy, that the weight issue and his appearance was preventing him from getting a top spot.

He was under the impression that owners thought fat coaches lacked self discipline, and if they could not stay away from the twinkies, how could they discipline a football team?

Well, instead of dieting and excersize, he took the lazy man's way to dieting- he elected to have his stomach stapled shut. The surgery went awry, and was near death. 7 pints of blood, and the last rights were administered before he came back to us. He is now unable to walk due to some nerve damage and will be only "partially" involved with the team for TC.

Belichick has taken control of the QB coaching. I think the Pats offense is in big trouble.

Michael82
07-27-2002, 11:15 AM
Damn, I did not know that about Weiss, Dozer! Thanks! I think you basically summed things up. The truth is...Brady did NOT take the Patriots to the Super Bowl on his back....he had a lot of help from Bledsoe (AFC Championship game), NFL Referees (most of the games), DEFENSE and DEFINITELY the special teams. I'm also waiting for Antowain Smith to have the dropsies this year too! :D

Halbert
07-27-2002, 06:02 PM
Just be honest. When you saw the Patriots play last year (at LEAST 4 games for all of us), were you impressed?

They played tentative and undecisive much of their games, got a lot of close calls no matter what your bias, made a handful of extremely clutch spectacular plays at precisely the right moments, and squeeked out victories. They just didn't display the command and presence that virtually always accompanies truly good teams - even ones that win with big plays (ie. early 90's Bills). I believe that's because they simply got on an incredible roll. It's like making $5000 on a $5 minimum crap table in an hour. It COULD happen but everything has to fall in line for you. It did.

They were good but not great. They won't overachieve two years in a row, imo.

JefftheBillsfan
07-27-2002, 06:32 PM
Damon Huard is a pertty good backup IMO and Davey is an exceptional #3

Dozerdog
07-27-2002, 06:37 PM
Right on, Halbert. Living in NE, I saw plenty of their games. I was shocked they destroyed the Colts twice, but by the end of the season it was clear that the Colts were a paper lion. They played the Rams toughband obviously learned from them for their Super Bowl upset. They handled a struggling Miami team late. And benifitted from a last place schedule (we won't be seeing those anymore)

A solid team, not earth shattering.

Dozerdog
07-27-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
Damon Huard is a pertty good backup IMO and Davey is an exceptional #3 Would you tab either of them to start for the Bills this season? If thyey did, we would be no better than a6-10 team this year