PDA

View Full Version : Offseason improvements.

HenryRules
07-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Just curious how everyone thinks the offseason changes will help us this upcoming season. Note, I'm only looking short-term here, so whether or not you like the Losman pick, don't include that in your evaluation (unless you think he'll beat out Drew eventually or that having him as our backup is a sign of good/bad depth).

My thoughts - we didn't really improve that much and should end up at either 6-10 or 7-9.

I think our offense underperformed significantly last year, but at the same time, i think our defense overachieved and was also not as good as the numbers' dictate. I think all of our personnel movements were pretty much a wash and that coaching wasn't as much of a problem as people like to think (yes, I know they screwed up - but no coach is perfect, hell, Martz made some bonehead calls and his team was almost in the Super Bowl). Plus, I think it's a lot to ask a coaching staff that's inexperienced at the senior positions to be the reason for a 4 or 5 game turnaround.

oops ... that second option should say a win a playoff game or two this season - not just win a game or two this season.

The_Philster
07-20-2004, 06:22 PM
color me optimistic, but I'm thinking playoffs with one win in that round. :up:

BillsFever
07-20-2004, 06:52 PM
No playoffs again for us this year. We will win 6 or 7 games at the most.

DraftBoy
07-20-2004, 06:56 PM
7-8 wins but no playoffs

Novacane
07-20-2004, 07:00 PM
8-8 or 9-7 no playoffs

bills_7
07-20-2004, 07:36 PM
We will win the Super Bowl

Philagape
07-20-2004, 07:56 PM
We are a playoff-caliber team, and once a team is in, anything can happen.

mypoorfriendme
07-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
8-8 or 9-7 no playoffs

i agree...creative playcalling alone should give us more first downs which results in more points, which results in a couple more wins

The Natrix
07-20-2004, 09:57 PM
8-8

the underachieving continues and the fans look forward to the Losman era.

cordog
07-20-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Just curious how everyone thinks the offseason changes will help us this upcoming season. Note, I'm only looking short-term here, so whether or not you like the Losman pick, don't include that in your evaluation (unless you think he'll beat out Drew eventually or that having him as our backup is a sign of good/bad depth).

My thoughts - we didn't really improve that much and should end up at either 6-10 or 7-9.

I think our offense underperformed significantly last year, but at the same time, i think our defense overachieved and was also not as good as the numbers' dictate. I think all of our personnel movements were pretty much a wash and that coaching wasn't as much of a problem as people like to think (yes, I know they screwed up - but no coach is perfect, hell, Martz made some bonehead calls and his team was almost in the Super Bowl). Plus, I think it's a lot to ask a coaching staff that's inexperienced at the senior positions to be the reason for a 4 or 5 game turnaround.

oops ... that second option should say a win a playoff game or two this season - not just win a game or two this season.

I disagree. I think we have gotten better for the short term, but also grabbed some nice pieces for the future. Vincent is a short-term patch till McGee is ready to step in and start. I believe Vincent is better than Winfield right now, but his age will start showing in a year or two. He will bring a 4 or 5 picks to the table, where Winfield could get 1 a season if we were lucky. This defense could and should be better than last year as long either Denney or Kelsay can show 2nd round talent, we create more pressure on the QB, and get more turnovers (which goes along with Denney and Kelsay improving).
I believe coaching HUGE in football. If you put a half compotent coach with the team we had last year, we would have been much better. If you look at teams like NE, Carolina and Dallas, they arent much more talented (if at all)than the bills w/o the coaching staffs they have. Parity in the NFL creates a level playing field, which makes good coaches much more important.

Historian
07-21-2004, 06:23 AM
Press conferences won't be so damn antagonistic...

I'M A BELIEVER
07-21-2004, 07:26 AM
There is no way any of us can tell how this unit is going to do until a couple of weeks into the season.but that being said....look for Mularky to make some rookie coaching errors, a RB controversy after Travis starts fumbling again, Bledsoe's usual second half swoon and (I hate to say it but we are due) a couple of key injuries to be enough to keep us out of the playoffs this year......but I think it will come down to the end and we will at least be in contention.........As much as I love the Bills, I just can't see them putting it all together this year....maybe next year though....

ryjam282
07-21-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by I'M A BELIEVER
There is no way any of us can tell how this unit is going to do until a couple of weeks into the season.but that being said....look for Mularky to make some rookie coaching errors, a RB controversy after Travis starts fumbling again, Bledsoe's usual second half swoon and (I hate to say it but we are due) a couple of key injuries to be enough to keep us out of the playoffs this year......but I think it will come down to the end and we will at least be in contention.........As much as I love the Bills, I just can't see them putting it all together this year....maybe next year though....

Key injuries? What about Moulds last year and Sam Aiken? What about Jennings last year or Travis Henry? I think we had plenty of key injuries last year, I would like a year like 2002 where we didn't have one bad one that cost us much.

I think we make the playoffs but don't win a game when we get there.

mysticsoto
07-21-2004, 09:32 AM
I think most of you are being overly negative and critical. I think coaching can make a HUGE difference in play for a team. And any coach that can make Kordell Stewart look good, gets my nod for helping our offense!

I think if Lee can catch on quick and become our Peerless Price, we will have openings on the backfield. If we can get a half way decent line with McNally at the helm, and if they can also implement the smash mouth football that has been talked about throughout the William/Gilbride era but never actually implemented, then we might see some more wins over last year. I think this suits Travis' style of play, I think it suits Mike Williams strong suit and lastly, if they can use guys like J. Peters as blockers and mismatches against linebackers when catching, they can implement that slow, but forward moving offense that will tire defenses down.

That should keep offenses off the field and unable to get into rhythm. And as long as our Defense keeps up pressure, I think we should do well.

Perhaps I'm just an optimist, but I think we have a decent team this year. What I think we need is that Parcells strategy that he used to beat us in the 1st superbowl. We need to take our time and go to the power running game and eat up the clock but score. Our defense was excellent last year, and with little change, it should be very decent again this year!

I'M A BELIEVER
07-21-2004, 09:33 AM
Ryjam, you are right.....key injuries kept us out of playoff contention last year too......I meant that we are due for season ending type injuries early in the season (e.g. an ACL tear, a torn rotator cuff, etc....our guys (not sure about Aiken) had nagging injuries but not catastrophic ones last year.....and I am afraid we are due for a catastrophic injury to a key guy this season......hey this is all about prognostication, right?

ryjam282
07-21-2004, 09:41 AM
Ahhh, I hear ya on that one. I just misunderstood then. I sure hope not, we need a year like 2002 with no injuries at all.