PDA

View Full Version : Antowain Smith is coming back to Buffalo on 8/21 with the Titans

Michael82
07-22-2004, 09:19 AM
They may never replace Eddie George, but the Tennessee Titans have wasted little time filling his roster spot, reaching a contract agreement in principle with free agent tailback Antowain Smith on a one-year deal.

Smith visited with Titans officials on Tuesday, one day before the release of George, and will sign a contract that is believed to include a $25,000 signing bonus and a base salary of $660,000, the NFL minimum for a seven-year veteran. The contract will count only $475,000 against the Tennessee salary cap.

The New England Patriots' leading rusher each of the last three seasons, Smith played a significant role in the club's two Super Bowl victories in that stretch, but was released early in the spring for salary cap considerations. Several other teams, notably Tampa Bay, had indicated interest in Smith in recent weeks.

It appears the Titans still plan to turn the starting tailback job over to second-year veteran Chris Brown, who suffered through nagging injuries the first half of his 2003 rookie season and carried 56 times for 221 yards. But acquiring Smith provides the Titans an excellent insurance policy, and another veteran to go along with the versatile Robert Holcombe.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1844330

The Spaz
07-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Yeah...

Goobylal
07-22-2004, 09:23 AM
Who cares? The Titans are done. Their time has come and gone. But getting Antowain was a good move.

ublinkwescore
07-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Has anyone picked up Eddie George?

Not that I would like to see him in a Bills Uni - I like Henry better - he's tougher.

Tatonka
07-22-2004, 10:28 AM
he will be a back up to chris brown.

mchurchfie
07-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Twon is a little faster, cheaper, and out of shape version oif Eddy George...it was a good move.

Throne Logic
07-22-2004, 06:46 PM
Does anyone remember when Smith was drafted? The word on him was that he was potentially the next Eddie George. Not that he ever showed that promise. But I find it somewhat ironic that he is now taking Eddie's place on the Titan's roster.

The_Philster
07-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
Does anyone remember when Smith was drafted? The word on him was that he was potentially the next Eddie George. Not that he ever showed that promise. But I find it somewhat ironic that he is now taking Eddie's place on the Titan's roster.
I remember and I think he showed it back in 97 to an extent. I will forever blame Bishop Harris for screwing up his career :mad:

Halbert
07-22-2004, 07:02 PM
He did quite well in the Pats first SB run, too. He was less of a factor last season.