X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Antowain Smith is coming back to Buffalo on 8/21 with the Titans

They may never replace Eddie George, but the Tennessee Titans have wasted little time filling his roster spot, reaching a contract agreement in principle with free agent tailback Antowain Smith on a one-year deal.

Smith visited with Titans officials on Tuesday, one day before the release of George, and will sign a contract that is believed to include a $25,000 signing bonus and a base salary of $660,000, the NFL minimum for a seven-year veteran. The contract will count only $475,000 against the Tennessee salary cap.

The New England Patriots' leading rusher each of the last three seasons, Smith played a significant role in the club's two Super Bowl victories in that stretch, but was released early in the spring for salary cap considerations. Several other teams, notably Tampa Bay, had indicated interest in Smith in recent weeks.

It appears the Titans still plan to turn the starting tailback job over to second-year veteran Chris Brown, who suffered through nagging injuries the first half of his 2003 rookie season and carried 56 times for 221 yards. But acquiring Smith provides the Titans an excellent insurance policy, and another veteran to go along with the versatile Robert Holcombe.

They may never replace Eddie George, but the Tennessee Titans have wasted little time filling his roster spot, reaching a contract agreement in principle with free agent tailback Antowain Smith on a one-year deal.
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Yeah...

Comment

• Goobylal
      • Jan 2004

Who cares? The Titans are done. Their time has come and gone. But getting Antowain was a good move.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
        Sab and TD are insignificant
        • Sep 2002

Has anyone picked up Eddie George?

Not that I would like to see him in a Bills Uni - I like Henry better - he's tougher.
        www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

he will be a back up to chris brown.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• mchurchfie
            • Jul 2002

Twon is a little faster, cheaper, and out of shape version oif Eddy George...it was a good move.
            My Band
            daveviterna.com

Comment

• Throne Logic
              Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
              • Aug 2002

Does anyone remember when Smith was drafted? The word on him was that he was potentially the next Eddie George. Not that he ever showed that promise. But I find it somewhat ironic that he is now taking Eddie's place on the Titan's roster.
              Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• The_Philster
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Throne Logic
                Does anyone remember when Smith was drafted? The word on him was that he was potentially the next Eddie George. Not that he ever showed that promise. But I find it somewhat ironic that he is now taking Eddie's place on the Titan's roster.
                I remember and I think he showed it back in 97 to an extent. I will forever blame Bishop Harris for screwing up his career
                The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Halbert
                  I'm Not Normal
                  • Jul 2002

He did quite well in the Pats first SB run, too. He was less of a factor last season.

Comment

Working...
                  X