PDA

View Full Version : Gildon a lock to make roster?

tomdonahoe
07-22-2004, 04:17 PM
Chris Brown of Bills Digest said that he wasn't so sure that Gildon would even make the squad. His sources tell him that the signing bonus was very small and the contract is laced with incentives.

I think I may agree with him. My buddy is a diehard Steelers fans and he loves Gildon but said his speed was his best weapon and it is just not there anymore. In addition, the roster spots on this years squad are going to more valuable than ever. This team is going to have at least four very difficult cuts to make, most notably the TE and wide receiver position.

It should be interesting. What do you guys think?

Canadian'eh!
07-22-2004, 04:55 PM
Chris Brown either a) knows something very surprising to me or b) needs to step away from the crack pipe.

Unless Gildon has fallen WAY off, he makes the team. it wasn't expensive and aside froma pass rush he still is better than any of our backup LB's. I'd be STUNNED if he got cut.

Tatonka
07-22-2004, 04:58 PM
he makes this squad.. no question.

capitolneal
07-22-2004, 05:09 PM
Not only does he make the sqaud he starts instead of Posey
he has a chip on his shoulder and has that I'll show you attitude
he is an improvement over posey, I can't wait until we line up on
Sundays

Throne Logic
07-22-2004, 06:37 PM
Cap', that's a bold statement. I don't think we'll see that. But, if we do, that just means that Gildon's still got something left and I'll be happy to try it out. Worst case scenario is that Posey gets the job back.

Either guy will have a good year. Our offense should be improved enough so that teams have to play honestly, instead of conservatively the entire game. That should mean an improved pass rush, regardless of the name in the spot.

Halbert
07-22-2004, 06:45 PM
For that price and considering the proven depth (or lack of) that there is at LB Gildon is a steal.

I'm still not convinced he's the magic answer to our problems of generating pressure from that side but he's a good addition nonetheless.

tomdonahoe
07-22-2004, 08:56 PM
I don't think its such a no brainer like you guys make it sound. Chances are that he will make the roster but the point is that it is going to be alot difficult cuts this year. Just look at the TE & WR position.

ryjam282
07-22-2004, 09:30 PM
I agree there will be some tough cuts, but I can definitely say that Antonio Brown is gone but Gildon definitely makes the squad.

HenryRules
07-22-2004, 09:46 PM
What's the difficult cut at TE?

We have last year's starter, a 4th round pick, and then a battle between an undrafted free agent and a guy from the practice squad last year? 3 TE's is normally standard, and we'll be cutting someone that was passed over by everyone, I don't see that as a difficult cut.

Same with WR ... Moulds, Reed, Shaw, Evans, and then a bunch of unproven people. What's the difficulty?

Tatonka
07-22-2004, 10:11 PM
i dont think TE is tough at all either..

campbell is the starter.. euhaus is a lock.. and peters has looked great and probably offers more versatillity than neufield.. but worst case.. peters makes the practice squad.

Tatonka
07-22-2004, 10:12 PM
wr is another thing...

i see them keeping 6..

moulds
evans
reed
shaw
aiken
coleman

the rest are cut or PS.

bills_7
07-23-2004, 01:17 AM
Brown will stay.... i can maybe see them keeping 7 or putting coleman on the PS

Demon
07-23-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
he makes this squad.. no question.

Not only does he make the squad. I think he will be a starter on opening day.

Goobylal
07-23-2004, 07:00 AM
I think the Bills keep 4 TE's, barring injury or off-the-field stuff. Campbell is IMHO a lock. And since Euhus was a high draft pick, he's a lock as well. That leaves Neufeld who is too versatile to cut and is a veteran unlike Peters and Euhus who would be rookie backups. And Peters has too much potential, even if it's down the road, to cut, and he won't make it to the PS. In exchange for keeping 4 TE's, they keep just 1 FB: Shelton. Lawton is a raw rookie FB and can easily be stashed on the PS, and that's where I see him ending up.

As for WR, it's Moulds, Reed, Evans, Shaw, and Aiken IMHO. Whether they keep a 6th is unknown but I think they do. That means a cut somewhere else, maybe Dorenbos since Neufeld was a holder for punts and Teague snapped for kicks, at times.

The Spaz
07-23-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by bills_7
Brown will stay.... i can maybe see them keeping 7 or putting coleman on the PS

Brown is no where near a lock to make this team. The KR and PR duties are wide open.

Billsouth
07-23-2004, 11:07 AM
does anyone remember when we signed art still and he was very productive pass rusher.

tampabay25690
07-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by tomdonahoe
Chris Brown of Bills Digest said that he wasn't so sure that Gildon would even make the squad. His sources tell him that the signing bonus was very small and the contract is laced with incentives.

I think I may agree with him. My buddy is a diehard Steelers fans and he loves Gildon but said his speed was his best weapon and it is just not there anymore. In addition, the roster spots on this years squad are going to more valuable than ever. This team is going to have at least four very difficult cuts to make, most notably the TE and wide receiver position.

It should be interesting. What do you guys think?

They always say the more competition betters everyone. I think Posey will probably have one of the best camps being pushed by Gildon.

I see Josh Reed having a very strong camp with Lee Evans being here. I just can't wait to read I see what is going on at camp...

tomdonahoe
07-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i dont think TE is tough at all either..

peters has looked great and probably offers more versatillity than neufield.. but worst case.. peters makes the practice squad.

Neufeld can play two positions and is experienced so he is way more versatile. Peters was not drafted by anyone for a reason and frankly when he does something in pads then you can say he looks great. However I don't think he would last long on the practice squad before a team with no TE depth scoops him up due to his potential.

bills_7
07-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Brown is no where near a lock to make this team. The KR and PR duties are wide open.

Hes far from a lock, but if he can have a good camp and pre season like last yr.... they will find room for him

TedMock
07-23-2004, 12:50 PM
I do think that Gildon's a lock to make the roster, but I don't think he's starting over Posey. Posey quietly had a solid season. I think he's getting short-changed by many. Gildon is going to see the field a lot and it'll be quite fun to watch all the different ways we can go after a QB. I don't think he'll be solely a passrusher either (although that's still going to be his primary purpose). He'll be a decoy on safety blitzes, running stunts, loading up on one side, etc. There are so many weapons in the front 7 (or 8) that we're going to see more chances and wrinkles in this D. I'm really excited to see how it works out.

tomdonahoe
07-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
Posey quietly had a solid season. I think he's getting short-changed by many.

I completely agree with you on that. Especially towards the end of the year he started making plays.

I'M A BELIEVER
07-23-2004, 03:00 PM
Nothing against Posey, but I think Gildon is the opening day starter.....just a bit more of a cagey vet....and let's be honest....he can't have nothing left in the tank...he needed a change of scenery and a better DC....

As for Antonio Brown....I think he would have to show a lot other than kick return skills to make this squad....don't forget Shaw is a respectable returner and at this point much more versatile than Brown.....I like speed and this team needs speed but I think Brown is really on the bubble....

Halbert
07-24-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by tomdonahoe
I completely agree with you on that. Especially towards the end of the year he started making plays.
That's true.

For the first half of the season, though, he really was unimpressive. I started telling people I watched the games with to see if they heard Posey's name mentioned or even saw his jersey at any time during the game. Spikes and Fletcher were everywhere but it was like Posey wasn't even on the damn field.

Then later in the year you finally started seeing him make some plays. I don't know if it's the assignments he was given but he didn't do much early on.

The_Philster
07-24-2004, 08:31 AM
It was pretty much the assignments. In a 4-3, the SLB is called upon to play in coverage quite a bit...how people think he's going to get sacks when he's covering is beyond me. :scratch:

Halbert
07-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Got any more pictures of Mary Ann? She looks really cute.

The_Philster
07-24-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Halbert
Got any more pictures of Mary Ann? She looks really cute.

just a larger version of it at http://www.buffalobills.com/photos/03maryann.jpg

BuffaloRanger
07-24-2004, 10:38 AM
Honestly, how much does a 5th or 6th WR contribute to the team?

It all depends who shows the most on Special teams That's the only possible way one of those guys even sees the field. Brown fooled everyone last year with his returns during preseason games. We'll see if he's improved.

Dozerdog
07-24-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
Honestly, how much does a 5th or 6th WR contribute to the team?

It all depends who shows the most on Special teams That's the only possible way one of those guys even sees the field. Brown fooled everyone last year with his returns during preseason games. We'll see if he's improved.

Yeah- he torched the scrubs of the Ravens and Lions.....

elltrain22
07-24-2004, 11:32 AM
He's gonna make the squad, and I agree w/ some that say he may beat out Posey for a starting job.

ryjam282
07-24-2004, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't go that far but he will make the team and they will interchange each other quite nicely whether at DE or SLB. I can't wait.