PDA

View Full Version : Wire to get chance now

The Spaz
07-23-2004, 09:09 AM
It was all good for Coy Wire entering Buffalo Bills training camp at St. John Fisher College in Rochester, N.Y., last year.

And why not?

He was projected as the starting strong safety, and it appeared his career was taking off in just his second season. Then the Bills made a huge transaction three days before the season opener against the New England Patriots that changed everything.

Former Patriots safety Lawyer Milloy, a four-time Pro Bowl selection, was signed as a free agent, and all of a sudden Wire was bumped to reserve status.

"I felt great last year. I had a good offseason, and I was going to be a starter," the former Cedar Cliff High School and Stanford University star said. "I had no control over what the Bills did."

This season, Wire, who is known for his physical play, will have an opportunity to compete for the starting free safety job with Izell Reese.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1090574468232020.xml

justasportsfan
07-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Putting Wire on the bench is a waste of talent. I think this guy is ready to rip it apart in the NFL. His pass coverage may be suspect but leaving on the bench isn't helping him get better at it.

OpIv37
07-23-2004, 10:02 AM
The good thing is that our defense has depth- we have 4 LB's who can start and our backups are decent and four good defensive backs. Our D-line's a little short but Gildon can probably help with that as well.

BuffaloRanger
07-24-2004, 11:16 AM
I can't help but think the main reason Coy Wire is popular with fans is because he is white. There I said it.

Last year when the Bills signed Milloy, alot of fans fretted about Wire losing playing time.

This year when the Bills signed Vincent were fans upset that this would slow the development of CBs Kevin Thomas or Terrence McGee? Not at all. But fans were worried what would happen to Wire in a few years if Vincent moved over to Safety - possibly putting Wire on the bench.

I hear the stories about his heart, desire, good sportsmanship, etc. that have turned him into an "everyman" that (white) fans can root for. So does that mean the other players are lazy losers who didn't have to train hard to get where they are? Nobody's out there cheering for Izell Reese to keep Wire on the bench. Fans can "relate" more to Wire than Reese.

Wire Fans want to "see what he's got" or think "he should be given a chance" regardless of his suspect coverage skills and no experience at SS in college or the NFL.

White guys in the secondary have always been popular with Bills fans. Tasker, Kelso, Schultz, and now Wire.

If Wire earns the SS job that's great. But he is owed nothing. He only deserves to play if he is the best SS in camp.

saviorbledsoe
07-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
I can't help but think the main reason Coy Wire is popular with fans is because he is white. There I said it.

Last year when the Bills signed Milloy, alot of fans fretted about Wire losing playing time.

This year when the Bills signed Vincent were fans upset that this would slow the development of CBs Kevin Thomas or Terrence McGee? Not at all. But fans were worried what would happen to Wire in a few years if Vincent moved over to Safety - possibly putting Wire on the bench.

I hear the stories about his heart, desire, good sportsmanship, etc. that have turned him into an "everyman" that (white) fans can root for. So does that mean the other players are lazy losers who didn't have to train hard to get where they are? Nobody's out there cheering for Izell Reese to keep Wire on the bench. Fans can "relate" more to Wire than Reese.

Wire Fans want to "see what he's got" or think "he should be given a chance" regardless of his suspect coverage skills and no experience at SS in college or the NFL.

White guys in the secondary have always been popular with Bills fans. Tasker, Kelso, Schultz, and now Wire.

If Wire earns the SS job that's great. But he is owed nothing. He only deserves to play if he is the best SS in camp.

White or Black, Wire has the smarts, determination, and amazing work ethic that shines! He will be a star in this league.

Tatonka
07-24-2004, 12:41 PM

first off.. coy wire.. does that sound like a white name to you? he is part japanese as well.

second off.. the third cb gets to play a good chunk... mcgee and thomas both will see the field plenty, and neither had ever been a starter.. coy wire was a starter.. and he played almost every bit as good as milloy did.. as a ROOKIE in a NEW POSITION... THAT is why people love him..

he was the guy that everyone groaned about on draft day.. a small LB from standford?? wtf?? then we saw him take over the starting SS quick.. so he went from wasted pick to great story over one training camp.. then he played as good as anyone possibly could have in his spot as a rookie.. he is a feel good story.. he didnt ***** at all about milloy.. people love him more for that.. he is trying to make yet another position change.. all reasons people love him..

he is a great athlete.. no one crys for reese because he is a never was, and never will be.. he has been in the league for years and never done a thing.. wire excelled in his one chance to start.. people feel for him because he played very well all year, and showed that he was getting better.. then lost his job days before training camp to milloy, who barely outplayed wire as a rookie..

people like him because he dedicates alot to the society and charity... and is outspoken about it and always so positive.

none of those reasons are because he is white..
wire may be replaced at FS when vincent moves there.. but milloy will be gone by then too.. and wire can move back to SS.. or vincents skills may fall off so much that he may never unseat wire.. you have no idea..

there is just a huge difference between thomas and mcgee, who were never starters, or reese, who has never been a good starter in 6 years, and wire.. and being white isnt one of the big differences..

Mr. Cynical
07-24-2004, 01:35 PM

What a crock of *&%. :rolleyes:

Race has absolutely nothing to do with it. It is about rooting for the guy who has a great work ethic, tries 110% and doesn't ***** when dealt difficult cards (as with Milloy) and succeeds when moved around (which signals talent as well). THAT is why people love Coy. That, and the fact that he hits like a freakin' freight train. This is a contact sport and people who can hit like that, e.g., Ronnie Lott, are ALWAYS going to be fan favorites.

Play the race card somewhere else man. Besides, your theory falls apart with the examples you mentioned. I don't remember a whole lotta love for Kazoo. As for Tasker...duh.....he is a future HoF. And Schultz? Again, refer to my earlier comment - fans liked him because he crushed people.

The bottom line is that fans will root for people they feel will help the team win, who have a good attitude, and give it their all on the field.

ryjam282
07-24-2004, 01:43 PM

Tasker, Kelso, Schultz....If you remeber well, those 3 were absolutely great safeties for us and did huge things for this team. What about Steve Tasker? He is white, he got special attention cause he busted his ass on every play he was in the game and usually made a difference everytime. He got the recognition and the rest of them did cause they were good. Wire is good, he has shown the uncanny ability to learn very quickly and we all just believe he can make a difference at the FS position cause the other 2 we have there sure aren't? Why do you think the FS hasn't intercepted a pass in over a year? Time for some new blood, not to mention, Wire hits like a mack truck, just ask James Stewart and Frank Wycheck.

Originally posted by Tatonka
first off.. coy wire.. does that sound like a white name to you? he is part japanese as well.

second off.. the third cb gets to play a good chunk... mcgee and thomas both will see the field plenty, and neither had ever been a starter.. coy wire was a starter.. and he played almost every bit as good as milloy did.. as a ROOKIE in a NEW POSITION... THAT is why people love him..

he was the guy that everyone groaned about on draft day.. a small LB from standford?? wtf?? then we saw him take over the starting SS quick.. so he went from wasted pick to great story over one training camp.. then he played as good as anyone possibly could have in his spot as a rookie.. he is a feel good story.. he didnt ***** at all about milloy.. people love him more for that.. he is trying to make yet another position change.. all reasons people love him..

he is a great athlete.. no one crys for reese because he is a never was, and never will be.. he has been in the league for years and never done a thing.. wire excelled in his one chance to start.. people feel for him because he played very well all year, and showed that he was getting better.. then lost his job days before training camp to milloy, who barely outplayed wire as a rookie..

people like him because he dedicates alot to the society and charity... and is outspoken about it and always so positive.

none of those reasons are because he is white..
wire may be replaced at FS when vincent moves there.. but milloy will be gone by then too.. and wire can move back to SS.. or vincents skills may fall off so much that he may never unseat wire.. you have no idea..

there is just a huge difference between thomas and mcgee, who were never starters, or reese, who has never been a good starter in 6 years, and wire.. and being white isnt one of the big differences..

:up: Great post T, I totatlly agree.

G. Host
07-25-2004, 07:40 AM
Wire gets attention just like Keion Carpenter because he works his butt off! Our safeties, including Malloy for the amount of dollars he got, have been so so. Kurt Shultz was an underrated safety with 'poor hands' except he caught more balls than any other safety recently. Physically he can do what most of our safeties can not do hence fans want him to play more.