X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Doesn't it say something when the Dolphin Team and Fans

rely so much on 1 person to be successful?

I agree that what Ricky did was wrong on so many levels, and I have no pity for the heat he will take for that...

But if you step back and analyze the situation... it is pathetic to think a teams year can go from playoff potential (in their eyes) to talk of a winless season.

The dolphins deserve whatever they get. Not because I am a Bills fan, but because they made no effort to build a successful team around ricky, or find a suitable backup for him.

The fact is, if he had blown out his ACL in week 1 of the season, the phins would be in the exact same boat.

• OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

I agree- the Dolphins were playing to their strengths by focusing on Ricky, but every team needs a Plan B. It's hard to imagine another team whose preseason predictions could change so drastically based on one player. Clearly, the Ravens would be in trouble if they lost Ray Lewis and Tennessee wouldn't be nearly as threatening without McNair, but no one would immediately discount these teams the same way they did to Miami with Williams leaving.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• saviorbledsoe
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Jul 2003

They said on ESPN that Ricky Williams held the highest percentage of any NFL teams running game at 80%.

The Bills were 4th with Henry.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
        short bus extraordinaire
        • Jul 2002

Re: Doesn't it say something when the Dolphin Team and Fans

Originally posted by Pride
        The dolphins deserve whatever they get. Not because I am a Bills fan, but because they made no effort to build a successful team around ricky, or find a suitable backup for him.

The fact is, if he had blown out his ACL in week 1 of the season, the phins would be in the exact same boat.

look at what happened to the Lions.b.sanders felt the frustrations and walked away.it could have been easy for him to request a trade to a winning organization.many will question if it was just money,instead of championships,that drive these players.after all,it seems that an overpriced contract is what these young players see.that's why they leave college early or skip college altogether.
        Originally posted by yordad
        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Marino13Phins
          Put your banana between these melons and make a fruit salad
          • Oct 2003

I agree that what Ricky did was wrong on so many levels, and I have no pity for the heat he will take for that...

But if you step back and analyze the situation... it is pathetic to think a teams year can go from playoff potential (in their eyes) to talk of a winless season.

Here is what I think. Ricky was a big part of the team. He was our best player. That's like you guys losing Bledsoe, or losing moulds. It would devistate your passing game, and have ill affects on your running game, and would probably keep you from the playoffs.

I still think Miami could do well this season even without ricky and here is why. We possibley have the best WR tandem in the league. If Boston plays like the real Boston, it won't matter who is at qb, because the qb can just hit which ever of the 2 chambers or boston that is not double covered. That in turn can take some heat off the running game (which there probably won't be any since no one is afriad of travis minor) And that will open up some holes for Minor. Plus our oline can not be any worse then last year.

I don't think Miami's season is over just because Ricky left, I think it makes things a lot harder. But I wouldn't call this team doomed. We will find a way to win. We still have our strong defense, and we now have some money to get ogun on the field.

Comment

• dolfan25
            Clements & Mulakey I'm taking you down next
            • Jul 2002

You have your opinion but it's completely f#cked up. How many other teams are there that if their best player retired would be in the same position?

How about the Colts if Peyton retires? Brady from the Patriots, McNabb from the Eagles, Pennington from the Jets.

Face facts if Drew Bledsoe goes down the first week the Bills are done. I know Bledsoe played like crap last year but all hopes of the Bills making the playoffs are based on Bledsoe improving his play.

What about Michael Vick and the Falcons last year?

These guys are special talents and aren't just replaced overnight.

Who the hell is seriously talking about a winless season?

This is without a doubt the dumbest post of the year.

Comment

• Pride
              • Jul 2002

You really should do your research before spouting BS.

1. McNabb did go down, a couple of years ago, and they STILL Managed to get to the NFC Championship game... and that was with who? Oh yeah, your current backup Feely. So in the Eagles case, they DID prepare for a loss of mcnabb.

2. Pennington also went down, and the Jets did do quite well without him. They had a running game to go to, which allowed them to split the games they played I believe.

3. Peyton went down 2 years ago for a game, and their B/U came in and beat the hell out of us!

4. Vick, yes, I agree without him that team is nothing... and that is why they were in the same boat you guys will be this year. They relied too heavily on the legs of vick to do anything else.

So before spouting off examples that actually support my post, double check your facts....

Comment

• Marino13Phins
                Put your banana between these melons and make a fruit salad
                • Oct 2003

1. McNabb did go down, a couple of years ago, and they STILL Managed to get to the NFC Championship game... and that was with who? Oh yeah, your current backup Feely. So in the Eagles case, they DID prepare for a loss of mcnabb.

2. Pennington also went down, and the Jets did do quite well without him. They had a running game to go to, which allowed them to split the games they played I believe.

3. Peyton went down 2 years ago for a game, and their B/U came in and beat the hell out of us!

4. Vick, yes, I agree without him that team is nothing... and that is why they were in the same boat you guys will be this year. They relied too heavily on the legs of vick to do anything else.

So before spouting off examples that actually support my post, double check your facts....
                You can't compare a couple of games to losing someone for the entire season.

Comment

• dolfan25
                  • Jul 2002

Man you are deluded?

Check my facts? Maybe you should check yours

The Eagles had a good record when McNabb went down but he was back in time for the playoffs.

Oh and Peyton goes down for 1 game and it's comparable to a whole season? Ask any Colts fan if Peyton goes down for the year if they have any shot at a SB like they believe they have this year.

No the Jets went 2 and 4 and lost to a Redskins team they likely would've beaten if Chad was healthy. They were defending divsion champions and their fans knew the year was over as soon as he got hurt in that preseason game.

Funny how the only example that is really comparable to Ricky you agree with me. (Vick)

You cherry pick Peyton missing 1 game and McNabb missing 4 or 5 to a team missing their star for an entire season.

Ask any Eagles, Colts, Jets, or Falcons fan if their team has any chance of real success if the best player on their team unexpectedly retires or is injured for the season.

Almost every team in the NFL is in the same situation except for maybe the Pats and the Bucs. The past 2 SB winners

What about Favre? How do you think the Pack will do if he goes down?

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                    • Jul 2002

dolfan25 seems bitter.

Comment

• dolfan25
                      • Jul 2002

Just like everyone else what I'm bitter about is the timing. It sucks that he retired but do it a week before the draft not a week before TC. Right now the Fins likely would have Stephen Jackson or someone else if he didn't do this right now.

I'm also just a little shocked at how stupid the 1st post on this thread is.

Comment

• Charlieguide
                        Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time
                        • Feb 2004

The pack relies on Ahmann Green, and Couch is probably the best backup QB in the league.

Not that it matters; in case you haven't noticed, Favre won't let ANYTHING bench him. He's the next Jack Youngblood, who forced trainers to tape up his broken leg so he could finish the game.
                        The best is yet to come, and the rest is history. -- Oval Opus

Comment

• Charlieguide
                          Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time
                          • Feb 2004

Re: Re: Doesn't it say something when the Dolphin Team and Fans

Originally posted by Chambers84Phins
                          . . .
                          We (miami) possibley have the best WR tandem in the league.

:hamrhed: :freako:

I mean, I guess you could put that pair in the top ten tandems in the league, if Boston doesn't break his own ankles by bulking up too much, and if they find a QB to throw to them, and if they find an OL to protect said QB, and if they find a RB to keep defenses from playing the nickel D every down. Yeah, then those two WR's might put up stats worthy of being regarded as top ten.

The best is yet to come, and the rest is history. -- Oval Opus

Comment

• dolfan25
                            • Jul 2002

Okay then what Ricky's retirement is really comparable to is if Favre retired say about 1995. How do you think the Pack would've done then.

The Packers have really shown that they had insurance for Favre's being injured by waiting until his 13th year to get a decent experienced backup. Heck look at Hasselback. It took him 3 years of full time playing to become a good QB.

It's a stupid argument. Pro sports today almost every team in every sport dreads their star player being hurt or unexpectedly retiring. The NFL is the worst because the cap doesn't allow much depth. Bills fans can sit high and mighty because they have McGahee and Henry. But what if Henry would have torn his ACL or Achilles last year in TC? The Bills would've been in the exact same position the Fins are in now.

Comment

• dolfan25
                              • Jul 2002

Re: Re: Re: Doesn't it say something when the Dolphin Team and Fans

Originally posted by Charlieguide
                              :hamrhed: :freako:

I mean, I guess you could put that pair in the top ten tandems in the league, if Boston doesn't break his own ankles by bulking up too much, and if they find a QB to throw to them, and if they find an OL to protect said QB, and if they find a RB to keep defenses from playing the nickel D every down. Yeah, then those two WR's might put up stats worthy of being regarded as top ten.

Shows what you know. Boston is actually down to 230 and is at the weight he was at earlier in his career. Not the 260 or 265 he was at with the Chargers last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X