PDA

View Full Version : Bills tough guy Henry needs more respect

The_Philster
07-27-2004, 05:05 AM
Buffalo Bills running back Travis Henry has to be one of the most underrated and underappreciated pro athletes today.
Henry has rushed for 1,438 yards and 1,356 yards in the past two seasons. He also has caught 71 passes for 467 yards and scored 25 TDs over that span. He reduced his fumbles from eight in 2002 to three last season.

Yet when “experts” rate the NFL's running backs, Henry seldom cracks the top 10....more (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/columns/0727PN51FBM_sports.shtml)
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/columns/images/0727GPN51FBS1_columns_1.jpg

Throne Logic
07-27-2004, 05:31 AM
Henry is easily one of my favorite Bills going into this season. As much as I'd like to See WM do well, I'm pulling for Henry to do that much better.

Definitely under-rated. In part this is due to the fumbling. If he can further limit the fumbles this season and put up 1200+ yards while sharing time with WM, we'll see that label disappear for TH.

Thailog80
07-27-2004, 07:24 AM
No doubt. Last year he played with hurt ribs and a broken leg and he deserves the recognition.

DraftBoy
07-27-2004, 08:09 AM
Call me when he becomes an elite back not a fringe pro bowler.

Thailog80
07-27-2004, 08:11 AM
Fringe Pro Bowl player? You and Rick been doing bongers together?

DraftBoy
07-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Thailog80
Fringe Pro Bowl player? You and Rick been doing bongers together?

:rofl: seriously though can you really argue that he's an elite running back like Portis? A threat to break one and use his speed to outrun the defenders? Hell of all 1000 yard backs he avg like 4th worst ypc, and people here were calling for him to get more carries. I dont wanna hear excuses about the blocking not being good bc I think its bs, the run blocking for the most part was good just not the pass.

TedMock
07-27-2004, 08:35 AM
It's a tough call. I think he's on par with any back in the league, depending on what you're looking for. Portis has a career average of 5.5 ypc which is just sick. Ricky Williams (god rest his soul) is at 4 even. Henry's career ypc is 4.1, Shaun Alexander 4.3, etc.. Henry will never have the homerun speed of Portis. But, Henry is a much more powerful back who's also more durable. Note that Henry had 41 more carries than Portis last season and 52 more carries the year before when they both played 16 games. Henry did play 15 last year versus Portis' 13, but that's my exact point. A cracked fibula and torn rib cart are both pretty painful, yet he only missed 1 game. He's also 2 inches shorter and 10 pounds heavier. I'd love a hybrid of both to be honest. That very well could be McGahee. 4.3 speed after the knee injury and at 6' - 230lbs. he's not exactly tiny. I'm not saying that Henry's better than Portis. What I'm saying is that different players fit different teams/schemes. It's really a matter of the coaches figuring out what system works best for each player.

DraftBoy
07-27-2004, 11:09 PM
Very good post TedMock! Although id say Portis is a better back in every way imaginable to Henry, there really is no comparison in my mind, Although Portis is more shimmy and shake to Henry's head down drive forward.

Bill Brasky
07-27-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
Very good post TedMock! Although id say Portis is a better back in every way imaginable to Henry, there really is no comparison in my mind, Although Portis is more shimmy and shake to Henry's head down drive forward.

What should also be noted is that every single running back that has played in Denver the past few seasons has done well... obviously their staff/players know how to effectively put together a game plan that allows for any back to do well, as TedMock somewhat said. Let's see how Portis does this year.

Mr. Cynical
07-27-2004, 11:58 PM
TH is a very good RB and is without question a starting calibre back. Once he gets the fumbling under control (something a starting back simply can't do) then he will be really solid.

But an elite back he will never be.

He just doesn't have the physical tools to do it. No great moves, average speed and is not overly powerful either (strong, yes...but he doesn't run right over people very often either).

But I will say this - I was not screaming for a new RB when TD picked up Willis. I would have been perfectly happy with TH going into the season. I don't think I need to tell you which position I was screaming to upgrade. ;)

But now that we do have a "potentially" elite back, I'm more excited about our future. Take a look at most successful teams (including the SB Bills) and you have the triplets. We may actually have that again with JP/Willis/Evans and it gets me pumped just thinking about it. :D

Tatonka
07-27-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
It's a tough call. I think he's on par with any back in the league, depending on what you're looking for. Portis has a career average of 5.5 ypc which is just sick. Ricky Williams (god rest his soul) is at 4 even. Henry's career ypc is 4.1, Shaun Alexander 4.3, etc.. Henry will never have the homerun speed of Portis. But, Henry is a much more powerful back who's also more durable. Note that Henry had 41 more carries than Portis last season and 52 more carries the year before when they both played 16 games. Henry did play 15 last year versus Portis' 13, but that's my exact point. A cracked fibula and torn rib cart are both pretty painful, yet he only missed 1 game. He's also 2 inches shorter and 10 pounds heavier. I'd love a hybrid of both to be honest. That very well could be McGahee. 4.3 speed after the knee injury and at 6' - 230lbs. he's not exactly tiny. I'm not saying that Henry's better than Portis. What I'm saying is that different players fit different teams/schemes. It's really a matter of the coaches figuring out what system works best for each player.

great post. i love henry.. but i am excited about willis too!

Dozerdog
07-28-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
Call me when he becomes an elite back not a fringe pro bowler.

Like that Amish kid in Kingpin?http://www.cinemanow.com/img/boxart/174/kingpin_174.jpg

colin
07-29-2004, 01:28 AM
i think our line is a very very good run blocking line, and our ability to pass (even though it netted out to crap last year) lets the RB get a few more shots at good runs.

willis behind our line and a bit of a passing threat might make us forget henry real quick, i bet he will have some defining run that makes jaws drop and goes for 6 pretty early in the season