• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryjam282
    Offical Billszone Starting QB
    • Mar 2003

ESPN 2K5 football

OK,OK, I went out on a limb this past week and rented a copy of this game and I think the game is pretty slick in some aspects, but my completion percentage for any quarterback I use, sucks...Is it hard to complete a lot of passes in this game, or not? I mean, it seems like there is a lot of dropped passes.

I like that you can loft it up to your receiver or put some zip on the ball. What I hate the most is half the time when I put some heat on it the dude whips it way too fast, 20 feet away from the guy out of bounds.

Another annoying thing is that you can't see the whole field when passing.
    If you got a receiver on either side that busts his route on a out, you have to guess whether or not he's open, or if there's 3 defenders there.

Also, aren't they capable of having actual gameplay highlights of plays during Sportscenter? I mean they show you replays of friggin 5 yard runs, why is the conversion to the Sportscenter broadcast so focking difficult. It totally makes that whole aspect of the game worthless on PS2.

And I'm happy that they have added faces to people you draft...nice touch...It's especially nice when you see that guy with his helmet off and he's a black guy with an Art Monk moustache, when your pic is a white guy with a devilish smile...

I've got some dude that's a 57 Rating...He's a DT that has 15 sacks so far this year. That makes sense right? Ok, didn't think so.

The presentation of the game is great, but the gameplay still needs work. It doesn't seem that much different from last year's game. Some of the screens they use are the same as well...

And I have played more than one game. I've played about 30, so I've taken my time to make sure that the crap that annoyed me still did after repeated playing...

In the end, I will stick with Madden, hit me with your shots now Tatonka, I am waiting.......:2guns:

Ryan Withey
    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

• Bulldog
    Top Dog
    • Jan 2003

Considering Target has it on sale for $15.87, how can you go wrong? For what you paid to rent the game($5), you could have owned it for another $11. I too think the game has some flaws, but for the money I spent, it is well worth it. There are also some things on Madden that are equally annoying.
    I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• ryjam282
      • Mar 2003

I know, I just really enjoy busting Tatonka's chops on this one. I actually enjoy the game a lot. I like them showing my highlights on Sportscenter and Chris Berman and stuff. I actually enjoy parts of both Madden and ESPN and maybe in the future they could join and we could get the best of both worlds....Bye the way, $15.87 at Target? Really? I think I will actually pick it up then, thanks.

Ryan Withey

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

as far as the completion percentage.. it takes touch.. if you go through the practice modes.. you can really work on that.. if it is a three or five step drop.. let your qb drop back on his own.. wait for him to hit that fifth step..and then he does a little bounce.. you know.. like drew does right before he ducks into a sack.. and throw the ball.. it is all about the timing..

as far as seeing your receivers.. press and hold the R1 or L1 buttons before the snap.. it pulls back so you can see the whole field on the snap.

when your receiver goes to catch the ball.. use the triangle button.. he will go up and get it.. it will help catch the ball.

i agree with your point about the end of the game highlights.. the still shots are nice and all.. but it seems like they could have done actual highlight replays..

i like the fact that you can actually put moves on from the DLine.. and get pressure or sacks..

i LOVE the 25 year anniversary games.. i still have not been able to come back as the bills yet against houston.. but i did win the superbowl against the giants.. i have completed about 15 of the 25. for those of you that dont know what i am talking about.. the game has 25 of the best games in nfl history.. and it drops you in right in the crucial seconds of the game.. to finish up and either keep the history alive or change history.. for example.. with the bills, giants superbowl... they give you the ball with jim kelly and the old offense w/ 2 minutes and change left.. and you have to drive down the field and win the game.. in the houston game.. you get the ball down 35-3 in the 3rd.. you have to come back and win..

they have the eagles/green bay game.. you get the ball on a 4th and 26.... lol.. that one took a while to hit.

i love the game.. if you dont ry.. it is because your gay and are not a real bills fan.

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

ps.. for under 20$.. zip it!!

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Bulldog
            T, did you think it was kind of hard to move the ball on offense? I usually play Madden, so maybe I just need to get used to it. The graphics are awsome. I just need to get used to what all the different buttons can do as far as audublies on both offense and defense.

i think running is almost perfect.. if you follow your blocker and hit the hole right.. you pick up about 4 yards.. which is right.. and every once in a while.. if you get the combo of the power shoulder and stiff arm down.. you will break one.. i think it is fun banging the crap out of the X button trying to keep the speed burst going.. i just think it makes it more real.. because if you get tired.. you get caught.. like in real life..

on offense.. what you really need to do is start with some bread and butter stuff.. utilize your RB and FB in the flats for short quick completions... then work your way out from there as you get more comfortable.. TE stuff.. the Play action seems to work good.. and another thing that i have had alot of success with is the pump fake.. if you double tap the button for the receiver your throwing to, it will pump fake it.. then press it a third time and your completions will be alot higher percentage..

Comment

• I'M A BELIEVER
              • Jun 2004

Great pointer on the timing of the pass.....pretty realistic that you get better results throwing when you are set up than off your back foot, etc.... The rushing attack is a bit too easy, and it is a bit too easy to pick off passes (especially with Troy Vincent).
              At least the game does not have the unrealistic glitch as with Madden where you can release a player and resign him as a free agent for a fraction of his current salary....
              overall I like the game and the early release was just what the Dr. ordered for a football addict in mid June.
              Men are clinging to football on a level we aren't even aware of. For centuries, we ruled everything, and now, in the last ten minutes, there are all these incursions by women. It's our Alamo. ~Tony Kornheiser
              =========================
              I have seen women walk right past a TV set with a football game on and - this always amazes me - not stop to watch, even if the TV is showing replays of what we call a "good hit," which is a tackle that causes at least one major internal organ to actually fly out of a player's body. ~Dave Barry

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                • Jul 2002

Madden is the only way to go!

Comment

• I'M A BELIEVER
                  • Jun 2004

THURM.......just wondering.....have you actually tried ESPN 2K5?

If you have, fine, you are entitled to your opinion.

If not.....don't be ignorant.
                  Men are clinging to football on a level we aren't even aware of. For centuries, we ruled everything, and now, in the last ten minutes, there are all these incursions by women. It's our Alamo. ~Tony Kornheiser
                  =========================
                  I have seen women walk right past a TV set with a football game on and - this always amazes me - not stop to watch, even if the TV is showing replays of what we call a "good hit," which is a tackle that causes at least one major internal organ to actually fly out of a player's body. ~Dave Barry

Comment

• ryjam282
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
                    i love the game.. if you dont ry.. it is because your gay and are not a real bills fan.

I thought we would keep that quiet :pow:

Originally posted by Tatonka
                    ps.. for under 20$.. zip it!!

Maybe they are trying to compensate for something? Maybe an inferior game?

Ryan Withey

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by I'M A BELIEVER
                      THURM.......just wondering.....have you actually tried ESPN 2K5?

If you have, fine, you are entitled to your opinion.

If not.....don't be ignorant.
                      No I am just being ignorant. :)

Why can't I just stick with Madden and be happy?

Comment

• ryjam282
                        • Mar 2003

I can't wait for Madden to actually come out so we can get the true HEAD to HEAD matchup between them.

Ryan Withey

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ryjam282
                          I can't wait for Madden to actually come out so we can get the true HEAD to HEAD matchup between them.
                          NCAA 2005 is out an that is usually a pretty good indication on what Madden will look like and it is money.

PS
                          I am talking XBOX here(which has far superior graphics to PS2)

Comment

• ryjam282
                            • Mar 2003

Right as far as gameplay that is true, but they have a lot of different additives that they put in, like the playmaker thing and other stuff. madden is usually a lot better overall then NCAA though but we will see.

Ryan Withey

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ryjam282
                              Right as far as gameplay that is true, but they have a lot of different additives that they put in, like the playmaker thing and other stuff. madden is usually a lot better overall then NCAA though but we will see.
                              Right so if NCAA is good Madden will only be better!

Comment

Working...
                              X