PDA

View Full Version : Ron Wolf: Brady the best QB in the NFL...

Ickybaluky
07-27-2004, 11:52 AM
In this article (http://www.ctnow.com/sports/football/hc-patriots0727.artjul27,1,5231639.story?coll=hc-headlines-football) Ron Wolf offers his opinion that Brady is the best QB in the NFL. Though that is largely subjective, Wolf is known as something of a QB Guru, so I think his opinion carries some weight.

A lot of (misguided) people think Brady is a product of the system and coaching. While undoubtedly that helps (just as the WCO and Bill Walsh helped Montana), watching Brady on a regular basis helps show how important he is to the Pats success. Though the Pats are a very good team and very well coached, Brady is what separates them from everyone else. He is the key player, the key ingredient to their success.

The article requires registration, so I'll post the relevant info:

Wolf, 65, now retired after building the Packers' teams that appeared in back-to-back Super Bowls after the 1996 and '97 seasons, is still so highly thought of that the Browns briefly hired him last season to be a consultant from his Annapolis, Md., home.

When some suggest the Patriots offensive line, which benefits greatly from Brady's ability to get rid of the ball so quickly, may be only adequate, or that New England's hunger could be dimmed by winning Super Bowl XXXVIII, Wolf dismisses much of the doubt as mere background noise.

"The bottom line," Wolf said, "is they win. It's not about all the other things. People try to find out why this happens or why that occurs. ... Look, I don't follow the Patriots that closely. All we get down here [on network TV] is the Ravens and Redskins. But there's one big difference between Bill Belichick and a lot of other NFL coaches: He plays to win the game. That's a huge difference. So many teams play not to lose the game; he plays to win it. That's their edge."

Contrary to some NFL executives who believe you can win with a good defense and a quarterback who doesn't make mistakes, Wolf is a big believer in the significance of having a great quarterback. When he was with the Packers, Wolf swung a trade with the Falcons to acquire an unproven young quarterback named Brett Favre.

Now, Wolf is an unabashed Brady fan.

"The guy that makes them go is Brady," Wolf said. "He wins. He's the best quarterback in the NFL."

Better than Peyton Manning?

"Better than all of them. He's beaten them all. That's the reason they win, because of Tom Brady. Someone has to be the best, and he's the best at what he does at the position that is most important to have someone who is the best at what he does."

Better than Favre?

"Yes," Wolf said. "It's hard for me to say that. Aw, that's probably not fair to Brett Favre because I really don't know Tom Brady."

mybills
07-28-2004, 06:53 AM
:rofl:

ScottLawrence
07-28-2004, 09:48 AM
No doubt about it.

Ishkabibble
09-25-2007, 03:31 PM
No doubt in my mind. Look at what he's doing now that he's got quality WR's? He won three SB's with an offense that produced ONE Pro Bowler over the years (Matt Light, '06, and even then, a replacement). The guy just gets it. Like here in Houston, Matt Schaub just gets it. David Carr had better tools and more ability but clearly didn't have "it." Brady simply has the makeup of a special player...SOOO similar to #16 w/ the 49rs back in the '80's. He's gonna end up with 5 rings and be one of the top 2-3 QB's to ever play the game.

justasportsfan
09-25-2007, 03:38 PM
I agree but this doesn't belong in this forum.

dplus47
09-25-2007, 03:45 PM
it's almost as if brady knows where the holes in the coverage will be before the snap of the ball.

OpIv37
09-25-2007, 03:46 PM
I think it goes both ways- the Pats wouldn't be as good without Brady and Brady wouldn't be as good without the Pats' players and system.

justasportsfan
09-25-2007, 03:47 PM
it's almost as if brady knows where the holes in the coverage will be before the snap of the ball.

Their OC is psychic.

EDS
09-25-2007, 04:04 PM
I don't think there is any question that Brady is one of the two best QBs in the NFL right now. I would still give the edge to Peyton but it is close.

After those two I would take Carson Palmer, but there is a big gap between him and the first two.

Mitchy moo
09-25-2007, 04:06 PM
I can give a F-less.

Crisis
09-25-2007, 05:50 PM
No doubt in my mind. Look at what he's doing now that he's got quality WR's? He won three SB's with an offense that produced ONE Pro Bowler over the years (Matt Light, '06, and even then, a replacement). The guy just gets it. Like here in Houston, Matt Schaub just gets it. David Carr had better tools and more ability but clearly didn't have "it." Brady simply has the makeup of a special player...SOOO similar to #16 w/ the 49rs back in the '80's. He's gonna end up with 5 rings and be one of the top 2-3 QB's to ever play the game.
You signed up to bump a 3 year old thread.

thanks for the input.

god i hate patriot fans

Devin
09-25-2007, 06:42 PM
:rofl:

Ickybaluky
09-25-2007, 07:09 PM
I don't think there is any question that Brady is one of the two best QBs in the NFL right now. I would still give the edge to Peyton but it is close.

I'd agree with this. Manning has been a machine the last couple years, and he broke through last year and got the hardware.

The one argument Brady always had was he didn't have the talent around him. What he has done so far this year puts some merit behind that argument, but it has only been 3 games. There is a long way to go.

Right now I'd give Manning a slight edge, but I don't think you could go wrong with either one. After that, I think there is a pretty big drop off. I don't put Carson Palmer there yet, although he is talented.

One guy shooting up the charts right now is Vince Young. He still has a way to go to be elite, but he is impressing the hell out of me now. Young may not put up pretty numbers all the time, but he gets better when it matters. He has improved his numbers this year, despite the fact he isn't surrounded by an all-star cast. He performs better on 3rd downs and the 4th quarter, and his leadership is undeniable.

Young has potential to be great.

mybills
09-26-2007, 07:55 AM
You signed up to bump a 3 year old thread.

thanks for the input.

god i hate patriot fans
:roflmao: