PDA

View Full Version : Beating the Patriots for Dummies.

ShadowHawk7
07-27-2004, 03:33 PM
If I was MM, this would be my Game Plan against the Patriots.

The Patriots D-line has been downgraded a bit, at least for awhile, giving us a chance to exploit that w/ Henry blasting through the middle w/ occasional misdirection McGahee plays.

After exploiting that, we should be able to beat their good-but-not-excellent secondary w/ Moulds, Evans, intermediate and deep, and Reed in the slot.

On defense, I still think we have to focus on their pass more, b/c I'm confident our front 7 maybe 6 will be able to stifle Dillon. Their oline is too good to try risky blitzes IMO, so we should focus on lock-down coverage.

To generate pass rush, we give them a taste of their own medicine and go w/ a roaming front 7, with essentially both 3-4 and 4-3 personnel on the field. (A great option w/ Gildon.) With proper excution and adjustments by the coaches, I think this plan may work in dismanteling the Pats. :bravo:

:feedback:

Mr. Miyagi
07-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Ralph Wilson: "Hire that man!"

dolfan25
07-27-2004, 03:46 PM
I'm going to email Bellichek right now and tell him I've found his coaching equal on a Bills Message Board.

TedMock
07-27-2004, 03:51 PM
I don't think their D-line has been downgraded. They lost Ted Washington, but still have Seymour and Warren. They also signed Keith Traylor and drafted Vince Wilfork who was arguably the bet DT in the draft. Don't forget Colvin will be back too. He's a LB but he plays every down on the line in a 3-point stance. That's very scary as far as I'm concerned.

Charlieguide
07-27-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
I don't think their D-line has been downgraded. They lost Ted Washington, but still have Seymour and Warren. They also signed Keith Traylor and drafted Vince Wilfork who was arguably the bet DT in the draft. Don't forget Colvin will be back too. He's a LB but he plays every down on the line in a 3-point stance. That's very scary as far as I'm concerned.

Never, but NEVER, underestimate the value of Big Ted. Everywhere he has played, year in and year out, he has made a tremendous impact, and raised the level of play around him.

Think about who played behind him in Buffalo: Speilman, Cowart, Holecek. Then look at Chicago: Urlacher. New England: Phifer and Bruschi. All have had career years playing behind Mt Washington, and thus far, all diminished when he left. Look for the same to happen this year in NE.

Pass rushers are nice, but I'd prefer a 370+lb tackle who eats three O-Linemen every down!

The gameplan is sound, except for one thing. Dillon deserves respect, too. He was a star when he played for the Bungles. He holds NFL single-game records! Now he's playing for the champs. This may be what would have happend if Barry Sanders had played for the Packers, Niners, or Cowboys! The Bills may be ok here thanks to Spikes, The Keg, and Big Pat, but I'm still a little concerned.

Mr. Miyagi
07-27-2004, 07:21 PM
I ain't afraid of no Dillon.

LVGrown
07-27-2004, 07:56 PM
hey is Fletchers nickname the keg???? Because if so I am so getting his jersey!!!!!!!!!!!

Erin

ShadowHawk7
07-27-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Ralph Wilson: "Hire that man!"

Originally posted by dolfan25
I'm going to email Bellichek right now and tell him I've found his coaching equal on a Bills Message Board.

;) :up:

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
I ain't afraid of no Dillon.

I'd be worried for sure. IF we didn't have Pat, Sam, Fletcher, Spikes, and Gildon.

How did Dillion do against Pittsburg? (JW, cuz Gildon came from there.)

HenryRules
07-27-2004, 09:51 PM
New England has one of the top-5 DL's in the league ... i wouldn't treat it like a weakness to be exploited.

At DE they've got one of the best in the league with Seymour. They also have solid depth with Warren, Green, and Bailey. Wilfork was the best DT in the draft last year and Traylor has had a solid carreer. Pretty damned good 3-man front if you ask me.

Carolina's DL is in a class of their own, but after that, I'd say NE's DL is just as good as anyone else's.

saviorbledsoe
07-28-2004, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by ShAgNSuRf 702
hey is Fletchers nickname the keg???? Because if so I am so getting his jersey!!!!!!!!!!!

Erin

nope they are talking about Sam Adams 95. Built like a keg and the beer name has something to do with it too :)

Stewie
07-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by TedMock
Don't forget Colvin will be back too. He's a LB but he plays every down on the line in a 3-point stance.

Colvin got placed on the PUP list recently, so he's not coming back for awhile, if at all this season.

Ickybaluky
07-28-2004, 12:27 PM
Colvin was put on the Active PUP, which is a procedural move. The Patriots also put Matt Chatham, Christian Fauria, Eric Alexander, Eugene Wilson, Matt Light, Lonie Paxton and DeVonte Peterson on the Active PUP. Jim Miller was put on the Non-Football Injury (NFI) list.

A player is put on the Active PUP prior to the start of camp if they have a pre-existing injury. They can be taken off the list at any time to start practicing, but if that happens they will not be eligible to be placed on the Reserve PUP. The Reserve PUP keeps a player out the first 6 weeks of hte season.

Colvin's medical evaluations have been excellent, but the Pats are being cautious with him. He has been cleared medically for work, but is not yet cleared for contact. He will definitely be back at some point, but it is possible he could end up on the PUP to start the season.

Worst case scenario has Colvin returning at mid-season, but the injury is fully healed and his prognosis for recovery is excellent. His career is not jeapordized.

Earthquake Enyart
07-28-2004, 12:30 PM
The Pat's have Jim Miller!!!! :eek:

That's it. We're done. :mad:

TedMock
07-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Charlieguide
[B]Never, but NEVER, underestimate the value of Big Ted. Everywhere he has played, year in and year out, he has made a tremendous impact, and raised the level of play around him.

Think about who played behind him in Buffalo: Speilman, Cowart, Holecek. Then look at Chicago: Urlacher. New England: Phifer and Bruschi. All have had career years playing behind Mt Washington, and thus far, all diminished when he left. Look for the same to happen this year in NE.
/B]

I'm not underestimating his abilities at all. I'm just saying that they've done a good job replacing him (not that these guys will definitely be on par), so they're not really tailing off. I love Washington, but he's 36 this year. Traylor's also 36 but they've added an awesome rookie to the rotation, too. I think their D-line is being underestimated. I agree with you that the guy is a huge (no pun intended) difference maker for LB's. I'd love to have him back in B-lo.

Ickybaluky
07-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by paulB
Colvin got placed on the PUP list recently, so he's not coming back for awhile, if at all this season.

Belichick just stated in his press conference that Colvin is "real close" to returning, although he won't put a date on it. He said he expects Colvin to return at some point during the preseason, which means he would not be eligible for the reserve PUP.