PDA

View Full Version : Gray Has Unfinished Business

The Spaz
07-28-2004, 12:42 PM
When a team hires a new head coach in the off-season they typically have a personnel overhaul when it comes to assistant coaches. That didn't happen with the Buffalo Bills. Mike Mularkey became the team's new head coach in January and one of his main goals was to retain the defensive staff. For the most part, he did just that. Mularkey recognized the success that Jerry Gray's unit had in 2003 so when it came to asking him to stay, the decision was easy.

"Jerry's a very important part of this football team," Mularkey said. "As a head coach you have to oversee what's happening with the entire team. I allow the defensive personnel to make a lot of their own decisions because those guys are pros. They know what it takes to be successful and I have complete confidence in our coaching staff."

Gray was hired to be the team's defensive coordinator in 2001 by newly appointed head coach, Gregg Williams. The two had worked together in both Houston and Tennessee with the Oilers/Titans franchise. After the coaching change this off-season Gray said he still had some goals left to fulfill in Buffalo.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=2607

ryjam282
07-28-2004, 01:12 PM
I guess it's a good thing that LeBeau didn't want to stay then cause Grey would have probably been gone.

Pride
07-28-2004, 03:23 PM
I just hope Mularky doesnt give him too much control, like GW did with Gilbride.

A HC needs to know whats going on, and speak up when something is obviously wrong or not working. I have faith in Gray, but dont put him on an island.

lordofgun
07-28-2004, 03:24 PM
I have unfinished business too, but I'm out of toilet paper. :(

The Spaz
07-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I have unfinished business too, but I'm out of toilet paper. :(

Your not getting anything from me this is a Bills related topic.:snicker:

HAMMER
07-28-2004, 03:36 PM
I love how they paint that face of wanting him all along when they really wanted to keep LeBeau and blow Gray out.

The Spaz
07-28-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by HAMMER
I love how they paint that face of wanting him all along when they really wanted to keep LeBeau and blow Gray out.

M guess is they wanted both but LeBeau wanted more say so he left.