X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Dolphins won't get any money back

The NFL players union said they would fight the penalty clause that could force Ricky Williams to pay back over $8 million to the Dolphins, the Miami Herald reported in Thursday's editions.

''It's our position that these penalty clauses that teams have put into contracts are unenforceable, depending on state law," NFLPA attorney Richard Berthelsen told the newspaper. While not familiar with the Williams contract, Berthelsen said the players association would likely file a grievance if the team pursued action against the retired running back.

Williams stunned the Dolphins when he informed them last Friday of his decision to retire. The former Texas star, who has been traveling for the past week, was in Boston on Tuesday and may return to South Florida by the end of the week, said his agent, Leigh Steinberg.

The NFL players union said they would fight the penalty clause that could force Ricky Williams to pay back over $8 million to the Dolphins.

• Pride
    • Jul 2002

On one hand this is hilarious... on the other... it is BS! I hate the phins, but I dont think Ricky should keep the money!

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Pride
      On one hand this is hilarious... on the other... it is BS! I hate the phins, but I dont think Ricky should keep the money!
      I hae the fins so I think it's hilarious.

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Pride
        Didn't the Lions...and Sanders...go down this road...and Sanders lost?

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• The Spaz
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
          There's a difference Sanders was on the Lions the whole time and got all monies from them. The Saints paid for Wiliams signing bonus I don't think the Dolphins will be getting anything.

Comment

• juice
            • Aug 2003

Maybe thats the part that is "Unenforceable depending on state law"?

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by juice
              Maybe thats the part that is "Unenforceable depending on state law"?
              Kirk to bridge...Clump come in...we need confirmation.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• BillsRockSOMUCH
                Exhausted of Losing
                • Mar 2004

Dolphins

I just can't stop laughing at the Fins.

Comment

• Pride
                  • Jul 2002

Yo BRSM! Your sig has your graphics Right Aligned... Left Align them please!

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
                    There's a difference Sanders was on the Lions the whole time and got all monies from them. The Saints paid for Wiliams signing bonus I don't think the Dolphins will be getting anything.
                    Clump said the other day...that there was no signing bonus (can't find it right now)

Kirk to bridge...Clump come in...we need confirmation.

Comment

• Samphin1
                      • Mar 2004

Signing bonus was moved up to the Saints cap when they traded him. Miami doesn't have a signing bonus hook for Ricky. I believe they have a roster bonus and a clause saying that if he ends his career before the contract is up, he needs to pay back a certian amount. To me, I think when we inherited his contract, we inherit all stipulations to it.

The signing bonus money should go to the Saints though, afterall, they paid for all of it, not Miami. Any other monies should go to Miami. Just my thought.

Comment

• G. Host
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2002

If it was not an enforceable contract, the agent should have said something at the time. If they did not agree they may not have traded.

Something smells rotten and fishy

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                          Maybe?
                          • Oct 2003

The thing with Sanders is that the Lions refused to let him play for another team, even after he retired for a year or two AND paid back the money. IMO that's BS.

I mean, you have to be fair to the team so that they don't get jobbed by a team hopper. BUT if you leave the game for 2 years, the contract IMO should become void. Any player would think twice about screwing around if the knew they'd have to lose 2 years of playing to get out of a contract.

Comment

• StanMarino13
                            • Jul 2003

What do u expect the players association to say? Even in that quote the guy says hes not familiar with Wicky's contract at all. Who knows what will happen, but any moneys we can screw Wicky outta im all for:)

Comment

• Ebenezer
                              Give me a minute...
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by StanMarino13
                              What do u expect the players association to say? Even in that quote the guy says hes not familiar with Wicky's contract at all. Who knows what will happen, but any moneys we can screw Wicky outta im all for:)
                              a year from now would you take him back?

Comment

Working...
                              X