PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins won't get any money back

The Spaz
07-30-2004, 09:48 AM
The NFL players union said they would fight the penalty clause that could force Ricky Williams to pay back over $8 million to the Dolphins, the Miami Herald reported in Thursday's editions.

''It's our position that these penalty clauses that teams have put into contracts are unenforceable, depending on state law," NFLPA attorney Richard Berthelsen told the newspaper. While not familiar with the Williams contract, Berthelsen said the players association would likely file a grievance if the team pursued action against the retired running back.

Williams stunned the Dolphins when he informed them last Friday of his decision to retire. The former Texas star, who has been traveling for the past week, was in Boston on Tuesday and may return to South Florida by the end of the week, said his agent, Leigh Steinberg.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1848463

:rofl::lol:

Pride
07-30-2004, 09:51 AM
On one hand this is hilarious... on the other... it is BS! I hate the phins, but I dont think Ricky should keep the money!

The Spaz
07-30-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Pride
On one hand this is hilarious... on the other... it is BS! I hate the phins, but I dont think Ricky should keep the money!

I hae the fins so I think it's hilarious.:naughty::snicker:

Ebenezer
07-30-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Pride

Didn't the Lions...and Sanders...go down this road...and Sanders lost?

The Spaz
07-30-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

There's a difference Sanders was on the Lions the whole time and got all monies from them. The Saints paid for Wiliams signing bonus I don't think the Dolphins will be getting anything.

juice
07-30-2004, 09:58 AM

Maybe thats the part that is "Unenforceable depending on state law"?

Ebenezer
07-30-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by juice
Maybe thats the part that is "Unenforceable depending on state law"?

Kirk to bridge...Clump come in...we need confirmation.

BillsRockSOMUCH
07-30-2004, 10:16 AM
:lolpoint: Dolphins

I just can't stop laughing at the Fins.

Pride
07-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Yo BRSM! Your sig has your graphics Right Aligned... Left Align them please!

Ebenezer
07-30-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
There's a difference Sanders was on the Lions the whole time and got all monies from them. The Saints paid for Wiliams signing bonus I don't think the Dolphins will be getting anything.

Clump said the other day...that there was no signing bonus (can't find it right now)

Kirk to bridge...Clump come in...we need confirmation.

Samphin1
07-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Signing bonus was moved up to the Saints cap when they traded him. Miami doesn't have a signing bonus hook for Ricky. I believe they have a roster bonus and a clause saying that if he ends his career before the contract is up, he needs to pay back a certian amount. To me, I think when we inherited his contract, we inherit all stipulations to it.

The signing bonus money should go to the Saints though, afterall, they paid for all of it, not Miami. Any other monies should go to Miami. Just my thought.

G. Host
07-30-2004, 11:23 PM
If it was not an enforceable contract, the agent should have said something at the time. If they did not agree they may not have traded.

Something smells rotten and fishy

Mr. Cynical
07-31-2004, 12:24 AM
The thing with Sanders is that the Lions refused to let him play for another team, even after he retired for a year or two AND paid back the money. IMO that's BS.

I mean, you have to be fair to the team so that they don't get jobbed by a team hopper. BUT if you leave the game for 2 years, the contract IMO should become void. Any player would think twice about screwing around if the knew they'd have to lose 2 years of playing to get out of a contract.

StanMarino13
07-31-2004, 11:48 AM
What do u expect the players association to say? Even in that quote the guy says hes not familiar with Wicky's contract at all. Who knows what will happen, but any moneys we can screw Wicky outta im all for:)

Ebenezer
07-31-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by StanMarino13
What do u expect the players association to say? Even in that quote the guy says hes not familiar with Wicky's contract at all. Who knows what will happen, but any moneys we can screw Wicky outta im all for:)

a year from now would you take him back?

StanMarino13
07-31-2004, 12:12 PM
Me personally no. I wouldnt want him back...I'd rather have Travis Henry(trade), Shaun Alexander, or Edge both fa's next year.

Dozerdog
07-31-2004, 12:13 PM
I just noticed Ricky Williams' picture is incorporated into ESPN's banner at the top of the page. I wonder how long it will stay there

Ebenezer
07-31-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by StanMarino13
Me personally no. I wouldnt want him back...

what's the general consensus in 'Fin-dom?

StanMarino13
07-31-2004, 01:42 PM
Well most Fin fans are pretty damn pissed off. With him failing a 3rd test right before he retired he would have been suspended for 4 games, then playing four games for free, and more than likely failed yet another one soon enough. With him saying he wouldnt have got caught if he had taken his masking agent(but somehow he forgot stupid stoner) the league would prob take samples everytime he pees if he came back. Him or his agent were also saying he was demoralized and his heart wasnt in it when we lost that 12-0 game to the Patriots, I think at that time we were 8-5 not a good time for a starter to lose heart or so it would seem...That with his wierdness and wanting to retire thats a whole lot of uncertainty to have for ur starting rb. Basically u cant count on the guy at all so why bother? I'd love for us to trade for Travis Henry, I know it wont happen being in the same division and u guys still have to see what McGahee can do, but I liked the heart he showed last year playing injured, and even before that he was underrated and still is IMO. Also picking up Shaun Alexander or Edge in Fa next year would be nice, but most likely none of those moves will happen...Although Edge would be the most likely move of the 3.