PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl in Buffalo????

venis2k1
10-31-2002, 04:09 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1453356.html

interesting read, washington, and new york (jets/giants) are trying to get the Super Bowl in 2008 or 2009, why dont they bring it to a place that could really use the the billions of $$ and jobs that a superbowl would bring, i dont know a little city in western new york comes to mind.

Novacane
10-31-2002, 04:12 PM
Nice thought but it will never happen. Even if we had a dome I doubt we would get a SB here.

venis2k1
10-31-2002, 04:14 PM
I know, its nice to hope though :)

clumping platelets
10-31-2002, 04:22 PM
Never happen!

liquidboy
10-31-2002, 04:30 PM
i call it discrimination... if an out door SB in New Jersey gets one then Buffalo should get one! they get the same kind of weather. thats Bullsh@t..

RedEyE
10-31-2002, 04:33 PM
I have always tried to argue this point, but the NFL would never accept Buffalo as a loction for a SB. Personally, I think it should be played in the city that has the better record going into the SB. ~ but what the hell do I know?

SABURZFAN
10-31-2002, 04:51 PM
that's a bunch of BS.we should have a shot at hosting a SUPER BOWL.since cochrane is busy with his racism with the NFL,i wonder if OJ could get his lawyers to help us out.it wouldn't kill them to give it a try.

venis2k1
10-31-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by RedEyE
I have always tried to argue this point, but the NFL would never accept Buffalo as a loction for a SB. Personally, I think it should be played in the city that has the better record going into the SB. ~ but what the hell do I know?

A city cant prepare for the SuperBowl in 1 week!!! do you have any idea what kind of preperation goes into it, Month upon Months of work.

casdhf
10-31-2002, 05:53 PM
Maybe if we get a terrorist attack they'd consider it...even then I wouldn't hold my breath

RedEyE
10-31-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1

A city cant prepare for the SuperBowl in 1 week!!! do you have any idea what kind of preperation goes into it, Month upon Months of work.

....and I suppose you do. Relax man, it was hypothetical.:cold:

NoCtUrNaL
10-31-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
Nice thought but it will never happen. Even if we had a dome I doubt we would get a SB here.

Detriot built a dome....now they have the 2006 SB...you do the math.

WCoastFin
10-31-2002, 06:06 PM
You know what, I think every NFL team deserves to have the Super Bowl played in their staduim.....The weather shouldnt matter, a good team wins in any kind of weather.

NoCtUrNaL
10-31-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by WCoastFin
You know what, I think every NFL team deserves to have the Super Bowl played in their staduim.....The weather shouldnt matter, a good team wins in any kind of weather.

Wow....WCF makes a soild point. I'm think I'm going to die of shock.

venis2k1
10-31-2002, 06:27 PM
:priest:

BillyT92679
10-31-2002, 07:24 PM
If the Bills did build a dome, it is conceivable that Buffalo could get a Super Bowl. There are plenty of hotel rooms in the Buffalo area since nobody goes to Niagara Falls at the end of January. Syracuse is trying to get the Final Four once Destiny USA gets built.

Cntrygal
10-31-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by WCoastFin
:eek:

Originally posted by NoCtUrNaL
Wow....WCF makes a soild point. I'm think I'm going to die of shock.

:eek: I can't believe that I agree with a fish fan....... I need to go to the ER now..... I think I'm having a heart attack.......

;)

DIHARD2
10-31-2002, 08:08 PM
The biggest thing is accommodations, is there enough hotels within the area to accommodate 100,000 or better spectators and media personal. That has a lot to do with choice, this is where buffalo really needs to think about legalizing gambling within the immediate area. "If you build it, they will come" as the movies states.

If the NFL is willing to give consideration to a city that doesn't even have a team, then they should also looked at all NFL towns as the same.

For four years Buffalo fans participated in Super Bowl's, spending money in resort areas that have already attracted nonfootball fans, New Orleans, Dallas, Miami San Francisco and many other areas who really didn't need the extra business that the Super Bowl creates.

There's no reason they cannot share a little bit of the pot with the area that has done nothing but helped other cities and the NFL, by fielding championship teams. Not only by sending teams to their town and city to play the Super Bowl but also fans who could have spend their money here in Buffalo, a much more needed area that needs an industry that tourism is and what it brings.

Buffalo has reinvented itself in the past to overcome the loss of industries in its history. It's about time that Buffalo starts looking at the resources, it has, the water sports in the summer, and winter sports. What it needs now is something to draw tourist nationally and internationally the most logical choice would be gambling. I don't believe there is any choice at this time if Buffalo wants to survive.

I know from a previous comment I'm going to get slack from the moral majority, but if you can give a better answer to the problem and a quicker solution than do it.

The Super Bowl will never be in Buffalo, unless it learns how to bring tourist to the area all year round and is able to accommodate them. Just like all the other Super Bowl towns have.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

NoCtUrNaL
10-31-2002, 08:12 PM
SB 16 1982 Pontiac, Michagan
SB 26 1992 Minneapolis, Minnesota

...both hardly tourist meccas.

The_Philster
10-31-2002, 08:15 PM
It's all about the weather or a dome. Buffalo has no chance of hosting a Super Bowl with an outdoor stadium because the majority of people who go to the Super Bowl are rich guys who can't handle he cold

Novacane
10-31-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
It's all about the weather or a dome. Buffalo has no chance of hosting a Super Bowl with an outdoor stadium because the majority of people who go to the Super Bowl are rich guys who can't handle he cold

Wooses! :madcurse:

Ð
10-31-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by BillyT92679
If the Bills did build a dome, it is conceivable that Buffalo could get a Super Bowl. There are plenty of hotel rooms in the Buffalo area since nobody goes to Niagara Falls at the end of January. Syracuse is trying to get the Final Four once Destiny USA gets built.

I've heard there's lots of hotel rooms in Niagara Falls, Ont. With Jacuzzis & stuff like that ;)

TigerJ
10-31-2002, 09:04 PM
I agree with Dihard. The Super Bowl is a media event. A high percentage of those who attend the Super Bowl are wealthy celebrities, businessmen, and media types. They want nice accommodations. I doubt Buffalo has enough nice accomodations to meet the demand. Do you think the NFL doesn't cater to the people who come to the Super Bowl? Those people represent $. The NFL loves $$$.

Pontiac, population 72,000, is a suburb of Detroit. There are in excess of 4,000,000 people less than an hour's drive from the Silverdome, not counting canadians. Minneapolis and it's twin city, St. Paul have a combined population in excess of 600,000 with some large 'burbs that bring the total population of the area up close to the 2,000,000 mark. Erie County and Niagara County combine for a total population of about 1.2 million. I'm guessing the Detroit metro area has 4 times the number of hotel/motel rooms as the Buffalo area and Minneapolis St. Paul has double the lodging capacity of Buffalo and the surroundings. Rochester would help. So would Hamilton, Ontario, but both those areas are more than an hour from the Ralph. Add that to the likelihood that those rich types would freeze their tushes and it's clear, the NFL is not going to put a Super Bowl in Buffalo.

WCoastFin
11-01-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by DIHARD2
The biggest thing is accommodations, is there enough hotels within the area to accommodate 100,000 or better spectators and media personal. That has a lot to do with choice, this is where buffalo really needs to think about legalizing gambling within the immediate area. "If you build it, they will come" as the movies states.

Ya but I would think the majority of the spectators would be local fans, dont you think? and Is Buffalo small?

Also when you think about it...Its really not fair for all teams beucz, for instance the Super Bowl has been played so many Times in NOrleans giving an edge to the Saints each and every year so that if they make it to the Bowl they will end up having Home Field advantage....therefore everybody should get that same shot ,not only that but it would also help a teams push harder for that year knowing that the Super Bowl will be played at their house, they would have that "we better go this year becuz its in our house" mentality....This is one thing that does piss me off from the league....even though they have Maimi as a preffered Super Bowl place also.

Dozerdog
11-01-2002, 06:22 AM
Ahhh.. just when we thougt WCF turned the corner :jk:

The breakdown of NFL tickets for a superbowl roughly comes down to this-

20-25 % AFC Team
20-25% NFC Team
(dependant on venue size)

50% NFL, NFL sponsors, NFL players, corporate sponsors, advertisers, media, NFL sponsored contests, ect....

Very few if any get left for the host city, practically none for local ticket sales, and almost none for sale to the general public.

Dozerdog
11-01-2002, 06:28 AM
The game weather is almost not the issue, it's the weather for all the NFL sponsorede vents- like golf, parties, your MTV celebrity Rock/Jock touch football games, and all the corporate events.

Yes, Detroit and Minnie got tossed the occasional bone once a decade. but the area is not condusive to holding the event. Detroit is the home of the NFL's second biggest sponsor group, the Auto industry. (Beer is #1)

AND... Buffalo's 12 ft of snow last christmas squashed any hope of us getting the game, even if we had Ford field.

The NFL would lose MILLIONS if that storm were to hit during the game week.

Dozerdog
11-01-2002, 06:29 AM
The Toronto Skydome has a much better shot at landing a superbowl than RWS

Ð
11-01-2002, 06:32 AM
Hey!!!!!!!! :)

It'll never happen until there's a team in Toronto

Dozerdog
11-01-2002, 07:12 AM
Toronto Bills?

Don't laugh! If LA gets a team, it's a possibility!

Ebenezer
11-01-2002, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by NoCtUrNaL
SB 16 1982 Pontiac, Michagan
SB 26 1992 Minneapolis, Minnesota

...both hardly tourist meccas.

and there isn't much to do here in B-lo...so hence...because of these two games...it will never happen.

Buffarama
11-01-2002, 07:27 AM
What are people thousands of media people supposed to in Buffalo in February. It will never happen here. It may happen up north which I think is a mistake, but not in Buffalo.
Minnesota was blasted cause even though they had the greatest chain of indoor malls, the media people were bored stiff and made a stink about it.

TigerJ
11-01-2002, 07:49 AM
Hey Dozerdog, it was a mere 7 feet of snow last Christmas (actually right after Christmas). Besides, if it is a cold enough winter to freeze the lake over, the lake effect snow pretty much stops by the end of January.

Jack In Syracuse
11-01-2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by BillyT92679
Syracuse is trying to get the Final Four once Destiny USA gets built.

Currently won't happen according to SU. They don't want to spend the money needed to upgrade the Dome to make it eligible for the Final 4, even if we have the hotel space required. But once Destiny is completed, I'm sure SU could be "persuaded" to spend the cash.

NoCtUrNaL
11-01-2002, 08:29 AM
A 2.2 billion dollar mall? How far do they think people are going to travel to go to a mall? They must've gotten <i>some</i> tax breaks for that venture.

DIHARD2
11-01-2002, 09:08 PM
Again, IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME!!!!!!!!

Buffalo deftly needs to look at an industry that will rebuild it to the glory of its past. Tourism is the most logical choice at this time especially after 911. People are no longer looking for long distance traveled for their vacation, and Buffalo is located in an ideal area to accomplish this. The people need to set a fire under the politicians and quit excepting the business as usual attitude because it is no longer as usual.

The Ralph will not be standing in 10 years and only because it is becoming obsolete compared to all the new stadium in the NFL. If Buffalo wants to keep the team there, than they will have to look at building a new stadium, and again most logical is a domed stadium. IMHO I don't know if a movable dome is possible, because of the snow possibilities especially if it's built in the snowbelt like the Ralph was.

(Just think, when THE Ralph was built, Buffalo could have had a dome in Lancaster and all it would've costed the taxpayers would've been building access to the Thru-way.) Although it's a MUTE-POINT at this time.

For someone to say that Buffalo will never have a Super Bowl, is just like saying that we will never walk on the moon. It will just prove you wrong, just as history showed those who thought the moon was untouchable at one time.

NOTE: There is a chance that Father Baker will become a saint, so speculation on land close to the church at this time would be an ideal investment. People will need place to sleep, and eats if this happens.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...