PDA

View Full Version : Mike Williams 2nd string??

natefan22
08-01-2004, 05:25 PM
a friend of mine was at camp, and he said he saw mike williams playing with the 2nd team, this is obviously a motivational tool..

ScottLawrence
08-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Yea it was just reported by Murph on ABC... It was Mularkeys choice not McNallys.

I love this move.... he is obviously basing this on performance. He is making a statement by doing this.

The Spaz
08-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Mularkey said it could change day by day.

BillsFever
08-01-2004, 05:35 PM
If only we wouldn't have made a huge comeback against Carolina at home and we could've had Julius Peppers :(

They are just trying to knock some sense into him. No way he will be 2nd string when the season starts. To high of a draft pick, to young, and to high of a contract to sit him on the bench after just 2 years.

I'm not ready to give up on him. Hopefully McNally can turn him into something more then a revolving door for DE's.

Michael82
08-01-2004, 05:49 PM
I was shocked when I saw that. Marcus Price was starting at RT and Mike Pucillo at LG. :ill:

The_Philster
08-01-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82
and Mike Pucillo at RG. :ill:

What happened to Villarial?

Michael82
08-01-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
What happened to Villarial?

Ooops, I meant LG. :ontome:

I'm trying to type my report and upload all my pics and post at the same time. Sorry. :D

ZacGriffi~82
08-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Price with first unit: The big surprise in the first practice was that Marcus Price lined up at right tackle with the first unit instead of Mike Williams. Coach Mularkey said not to read too much into it and explained to both players why he did it. Mularkey said it was his call because he wanted to make sure that Price was on page with the rest of the starters and wanted to see where he was at physically. He anticipated Williams practicing with the first unit as early as tomorrow.

-Billsdaily

The_Philster
08-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Starting offensive tackle Mike Williams has some catching up to do after opening training camp with the Buffalo Bills' second team Sunday.

Rookie coach Mike Mularkey made the surprising demotion and had informed Williams about the move before the start of camp after the player missed several minicamp sessions in June for personal reasons.

In replacing Williams with veteran backup Marcus Price, Mularkey said he expects Williams to win back his job, but not until the former first-round draft pick shows he's in shape and familiar with the playbook. ..more (http://www.boston.com/dailynews/214/sports/OT_Williams_opens_Bills_camp_w:.shtml?tbdOT_Williams_opens_Bills_camp_w:.shtml)

HenryRules
08-01-2004, 09:03 PM
I don't like hearing that Williams is coming in out of shape.

Jan Reimers
08-02-2004, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules
I don't like hearing that Williams is coming in out of shape.

He's been a major disappointment so far in his career. I hope this coaching staff can build a fire under his huge and lazy butt.

The_Philster
08-02-2004, 04:53 AM
Mike Williams has lost his starting job at right tackle for the Buffalo Bills. Whether the move is merely temporary or permanent is up to Williams, coach Mike Mularkey said.
In a bold move on the first day of training camp at St. John Fisher College by the rookie coach, Mularkey had 10th-year backup Marcus Price run drills with the first unit over Williams, the fourth overall pick in the 2002 draft whose first two seasons have been lukewarm at best.

Williams missed Buffalo's entire three weeks of voluntary workouts in June when installation of the team's new offense was completed, and Price is more ready to play, Mularkey explained. He said it's up to Williams to catch up, physically and mentally. And while Mularkey foresees that happening, he said Williams won't start until, “I get to a level of confidence that we're all on the same page.”...more (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/0802T553HA0_sports.shtml)

ryjam282
08-02-2004, 07:06 AM
I tell you what though. Maybe this will be a shot in the ass for him and he will start living up to his potential.....Remember last year when they brought him in on a goalline situation against New England? Now that was cool to see, over 1 ton in the middle. (Pat, Mike, Sam)

Earthquake Enyart
08-02-2004, 07:50 AM
This is also Price's tryout for next year, if Jennings walks.

Ebenezer
08-02-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
This is also Price's tryout for next year, if Jennings walks.

Good point...

none of it matters until 9/12 at 1:00PM...

BigZ
08-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Nice way for MM to send a message to the whole team though!

The_Philster
08-02-2004, 03:29 PM
There's a certain amount of scrutiny that comes with being a new head coach. Mike Mularkey is quickly serving notice that he is definitely in charge.
At Mularkey's request, right tackle Mike Williams did not practice with the first-team offense when the Buffalo Bills opened training camp Sunday.

Marcus Price took the majority of snaps with the starting offense, while Williams worked mostly with the second unit....more (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040802/1058038.asp)
http://www.buffalonews.com/graphics/2004/08/02/0802mikewill.jpg