PDA

View Full Version : Mike Williams at Guard?

Stewie
08-02-2004, 05:40 AM
"Though OL coach Jim McNally told PFW that mammoth ORT Mike Williams may ultimately serve the team best as a guard, using his size and power to help neutralize space-eating DTs like Ted Washington, McNally admitted that his ability to make changes has been restricted. Because he’s in his first year with the Bills as part of Mike Mular_key’s initial staff, McNally told PFW that it wasn’t in the best interests of a Buffalo team with high expectations to overhaul the O-line. “You screw up any consistency they once had if you move too many people around,” McNally said. “It would be OK if we were an expansion team and people _didn’t expect much. Then, you (could) have some trial and error.”

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/WWHI/default.htm

Pride
08-02-2004, 06:55 AM
Ok... this scares me a little.

You just dont pay that type of money for a left guard.

Either it says MW isnt playing well, or they have lost all hope for any other Guard to step forward and take the position.

ryjam282
08-02-2004, 07:07 AM
I agree, this is kinda scary. I mean I am sure he could do the job well but not at that kind of money....Will be interesting to watch.

Tatonka
08-02-2004, 07:58 AM
screw scary.. what is more scary.. pucillo at LG.. after watching how horrible he was.. and mike williams at RT, who can run block great, but get killed by Ogun and other speed rushers?

OR

williams at LG... massive man that anyone would have trouble getting around.. and Price at RT, who has done nothing but play great every time we have asked him to step up??

What I dont like hear is that mcnally has been somewhat restricted in what he can do because he is in his first year with the bills..

PUT THE BEST PLAYERS ON THE LINE!!!

Novacane
08-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

:up: although we picked Williams way to high if he's not gonna pan out at tackle

Canadian'eh!
08-02-2004, 08:15 AM
At this point, is it really worth having poor protection on the RT side because we insist on keeping Williams there? If he could be very good at Guard i say put him there and put somen better at RT. who cares where he was picked or how much he gets paid if he is hurting the team?

I'd rather have a good but overpaid guard than a bad but (still overpaid if he's bad) Tackle.

Big Mike could be very good at pulling in run blocking wiht his athleticicm, and he doesn't make as much as Reuben did.

ryjam282
08-02-2004, 08:20 AM
What I dont like hear is that mcnally has been somewhat restricted in what he can do because he is in his first year with the bills..

That is true. I hope the guy that works with them all the time has a say in things.

Originally posted by Canadian'eh!
At this point, is it really worth having poor protection on the RT side because we insist on keeping Williams there? If he could be very good at Guard i say put him there and put somen better at RT. who cares where he was picked or how much he gets paid if he is hurting the team?

I'd rather have a good but overpaid guard than a bad but (still overpaid if he's bad) Tackle.

Big Mike could be very good at pulling in run blocking wiht his athleticicm, and he doesn't make as much as Reuben did.

Your right, Teague is getting paid too much also to play Center. I think Big Mike at LG would make that side of the line, un-penetrable (is that a word) :D

Mr. Miyagi
08-02-2004, 08:21 AM
I agree with Canadian. The problem for me is, if we move MW to guard, who the hell is going to play LT to literally watch Drew's back??? :eek:

Stewie
08-02-2004, 08:35 AM
s

I agree. I hope he's playing politically correct to the media.

The Natrix
08-02-2004, 08:40 AM
With Bledsoe at QB, this line better come together. :mad:

The Spaz
08-02-2004, 08:42 AM
McNally's job is to coach the players the HC job is too see who plays.

DraftBoy
08-02-2004, 08:42 AM
Marcus Price the guy has been nothing short of great for this team and stepped up everytime he's been asked could be a guy Id replace Big Mike with to answer your question MM.

THATHURMANATOR
08-02-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
I agree with Canadian. The problem for me is, if we move MW to guard, who the hell is going to play LT to literally watch Drew's back??? :eek:

Jonas Jennings! As per the last couple years.

tomdonahoe
08-02-2004, 09:23 AM
When I started a thread a few months ago suggesting moving Williams to LG I got ripped to pieces by everyone here. I still say regardless of salary you have to put the best five out there. IMO Pucillo is not among that group.

LT - Jennings
LG - Williams
C- Teague
RG- Vill
RT - Price

This is our best five; forget salary, thats my (TD) job to worry about.

Tatonka
08-02-2004, 09:26 AM
i think he was reffering to after this year, because jennings is a FA.. and will most likely be gone..

i say move price to LG next year.. and draft another RT. if mike doesnt step up.

i dont see how williams could be anything other than a great guard.. i mean.. he is huge.. and with two guys on either side.. people cant beat him with the speed rush.. which is what kills him.

DraftBoy
08-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Remeber alot of people said the same about him coming out of college bc he was so big and so athletic and couldnt be beaten in college.

tomdonahoe
08-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Williams was not as bad as everyone makes him to be. While it is true he hasn't lived up to his draft status, he still has played pretty good. His run blocking has lived up to his draft status but his pass blocking has not. It is just another reason why the possible move to guard makes sense. He reminds me of Denney who played very well against the run last year but couldn’t use his leverage to generate a pass rush. I think it is very clear that not matter where big Mike plays this year eventually in his career he will be moved to guard. It is inevitable.

justasportsfan
08-02-2004, 09:39 AM
I think it's temporary since MW didn't attend camp and Price is ahead knowing the simplified system. Once he get's on the same page, he should be back at his position. Not being on the same page will get Drew hurt when they play the Browns.

TigerJ
08-02-2004, 09:42 AM
I think McNally, rather than facing specific directives from above ( TD and MM) was suggesting that for the sake of consistency on a team that might do some damage this year it was best to keep MW at RT. He feels that it's easier and faster to build chemistry by keeping most of the guys in positions they have held in the past. He has said in the past that philosophically he likes to have his huge road grader types (like Mike Williams) in the middle to counteract the trend toward bigger stronger DTs. I don't think this is a statement that MW can't cut it at RT.

Canadian'eh!
08-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Why worry about next year so much? If Jennings continues to proove he is a very good LT he probably isn't going anywhere. I imagine they will put the effort into signing Him and Schobel first and wave bye-bye to Big Pat. As much we all would hate to see him go, at 32 we cannot afford to sacrifce young talent for old talent. especially with all the depth we have at DT.

Don'tbe so sure that a solid season from Jennings won't make him the priority over Schobel even. Schobel has been very good (but not great, I know I'll get flamed for that) for us so far andis young. HOWEVER, If Kelsay or Denney don't step it up (and let's face it neither is #1 material) then we are still in the market for a #1 DE. Meaning that we have 2 other options that could be as good or better as Schobel (maybe) for less money.

In other words.... If Kelsay (my best bet) shows as much promise as Schobel we may be letting someone else overpay for his services and look for our #1 DE in the Draft or something, letting Kelsay replace Schobel as #2, and resigning Jennings.

Canadian'eh!
08-02-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
I think it's temporary since MW didn't attend camp and Price is ahead knowing the simplified system. Once he get's on the same page, he should be back at his position. Not being on the same page will get Drew hurt when they play the Browns.

I believe you were just putting an exclamation on your point but, don't expect and heavey hitting in a scrimmage during the first week of camp. If there are any injuries it will be a freak one, not a heavy hit.

The Spaz
08-02-2004, 09:46 AM
I believe you were just putting an exclamation on your point but, don't expect and heavey hitting in a scrimmage during the first week of camp. If there are any injuries it will be a freak one, not a heavy hit.

This is true but Mularkey has said there will be more hitting this year.

justasportsfan
08-02-2004, 09:52 AM
I believe you were just putting an exclamation on your point but, don't expect and heavey hitting in a scrimmage during the first week of camp. If there are any injuries it will be a freak one, not a heavy hit. You do not put your starter at risk no matter how small. After Drew there is no one else. Since it's a new offensive philosophy, Drew should not miss a day of practice. I too would want my best OL protecting Drew even if it's minimal contact. MW although talented would be lost in there because of his absence.

Philagape
08-02-2004, 10:15 AM
Moving Mike to LG may be the best thing the Bills can do in this camp. It immediately fixes a glaring weakness. The inside rush got to Drew so many times last year. If that hole is plugged, the offense becomes better. Plus it improves running options.

tomdonahoe
08-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Philagape
Moving Mike to LG may be the best thing the Bills can do in this camp. It immediately fixes a glaring weakness. The inside rush got to Drew so many times last year. If that hole is plugged, the offense becomes better. Plus it improves running options.

Exactly! Everyone makes it sound like Drew got killed last year because of speed rushers coming off the edges. Nothing could be further from the truth. Right up the middle is where almost all the sacks came from and that pressure caused Bledsoe to throw hurried passes. If MW stays at RT (which is probably what will happen this year) then I think the best option at LG is Tucker. He has a real nasty streak in him but is still a little undersized. It certainly will be interesting. I just pray that Pucillo doesn't get the nod. He simply is just not talented enough.

Mr. Cynical
08-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by paulB
"Though OL coach Jim McNally told PFW that mammoth ORT Mike Williams may ultimately serve the team best as a guard, using his size and power to help neutralize space-eating DTs like Ted Washington, McNally admitted that his ability to make changes has been restricted. Because he’s in his first year with the Bills as part of Mike Mular_key’s initial staff, McNally told PFW that it wasn’t in the best interests of a Buffalo team with high expectations to overhaul the O-line. “You screw up any consistency they once had if you move too many people around,” McNally said. “It would be OK if we were an expansion team and people _didn’t expect much. Then, you (could) have some trial and error.”

WHAT CONSISTENCY OF THE OLINE? THEY SUCKED LAST YEAR!!! :huh:

I don't like that he thinks he needs to put on the kid gloves with the oline because of "high expectations". This is what I've been saying alll off season - my expectations IMO are in line with what they *should* be. They are still building this team. And even if you want to say we have all the players we need (which I don't), then fine. But that *still* means they need time together, and time under a new system, HC, etc. That means at least a year before it comes together IMO.

I say move him wherever it makes sense. I want CHANGE. This team has been average to poor for far too long. MW didn't do jack last year at RT so if he can stop the constant freight trains up the middle that were making Drew into a tackle dummy, then move him to LG. To be honest they need to move Teague out of there as well because he couldn't block a doorway.