PDA

View Full Version : patchwork theory

Billsouth
08-02-2004, 09:09 AM
it seems that over the last couple years TD has spent a lot of time siging vets who r past their prime in order to save a few bucks. i know we signed tko and i think that was great. but on the otherhand we seem to each year bring in some older guys rather than spending the $ on bigger name free agents. we have been under the cap significantly for the last 3 years and not spending that money. instead we have signed the following:

1. eddie robinson
2. billy jenkins
3. izell reese
4. jason gildon
5. mike hollis
6. oliver gibson
7. james trapp (cut)
8. charles johnson
9. chiti ahounatou
10. dave moore

LtBillsFan66
08-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Every team has a bit of patchwork. None of those guys were billed as a main solution.

On D, how about Fletcher, Milloy, Vincent, and Adams. That's a hell of a lot of quality patchwork right there.

Ebenezer
08-02-2004, 09:12 AM
the NE paradigm...and philosophy over the salcap...when you are turning over such a large % of your team each year it doesn't hurt to try to bring in one of these guys for a year if he helps.

The Spaz
08-02-2004, 09:16 AM
What was wrong with Mike Hollis, yeah he ended beign a greedy ***** but he was good when he played for us.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-02-2004, 09:16 AM
I don't understand your theory. TD brought in guys at his price tag to try to improve his club. I will concur that a lot of the guys he has brought in haven't lived up to expectation. A lot of the guys he signed were what was available to him at the time.

Billsouth
08-02-2004, 09:27 AM
i was just making an observation. i am not propounding one theory over another. just making an observation

The Spaz
08-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Billsouth
i was just making an observation. i am not propounding one theory over another. just making an observation

What?

TigerJ
08-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Out of that list of ten I would say Eddie Robinson, Billy Jenkins, and James Trap might be labled busts though Robinson started for a full season. The rest are all role players who made modest contributions. As others have said you need guys like that in the NFL who play cheap because so much of your available cap dollars are tied up in a few high priced players.