PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Williams will definately be gone for the year... and probably forever!

Pride
08-03-2004, 11:11 AM
Under league rules, if a player in its substance-abuse program files retirement papers, he cannot unretire for a year without penalty. If he unretires in less than a year, it's counted as a positive drug test in the NFL program -- which, in Williams' case, would be his fourth positive test and would result in an indefinite suspension.

If Williams unretires after a year, he still would be facing a four-game suspension, having now, according to him, recently tested positive for marijuana for a third time under the NFL's testing program. A third positive test brings with it a mandatory four-game suspension.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1850741

The Spaz
08-03-2004, 11:14 AM
I love hearing about it everyday!:up::beers:

Pride
08-03-2004, 11:29 AM
I just posted this to stomp any speculation that he would be back after the season starts.

He will NOT be allowed to play this season... no matter what.

Since he has already failed 3 tests... and by coming out of retirement within 1 year counts as a 4th failure... he would be out indefinately.

Ebenezer
08-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Pride
I just posted this to stomp any speculation that he would be back after the season starts.

He will NOT be allowed to play this season... no matter what.

Since he has already failed 3 tests... and by coming out of retirement within 1 year counts as a 4th failure... he would be out indefinately.

I've asked this before...has he signed his retirement papers? If not then I bet he can come back after serving a 4 game suspension.

Novacane
08-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
I've asked this before...has he signed his retirement papers? .

according to ESPN he filed them yesterday

Ebenezer
08-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
according to ESPN he filed them yesterday

thanks, I didn't know this and was not around any media last night to find out...I would then say that Pride is right....

Novacane
08-03-2004, 11:58 AM
actually, they reported it yesterday. They said he filed late last week.

Ebenezer
08-03-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
actually, they reported it yesterday. They said he filed late last week.

if it was only reported yesterday then there was no way for the average fan to know...If they knew before that they did not get the message through...