PDA

View Full Version : LMAO @ John Madden

northernbillfan
11-01-2002, 02:32 AM
I used to like this guy. A lot!

The I realized he just points out the obvious, ie, "You gotta convert those 3rd downs or the drive is dead."

I found this little gem he had to say about Bledsoe...

"Watching Bledsoe play this season, he's obviously really good. You kind of knew before this season that he was really good..."

More assinine Maddenisms about week 9 here (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/madden/story?id=1453646)

TypicalBill
11-01-2002, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by northernbillfan
I used to like this guy. A lot!

The I realized he just points out the obvious, ie, "You gotta convert those 3rd downs or the drive is dead."

I found this little gem he had to say about Bledsoe..."Watching Bledsoe play this season, he's obviously really good. You kind of knew before this season that he was really good..."

:lol: :laughter: :chuckle: :laughter:

northernbillfan
11-01-2002, 02:51 AM
So I guess what John's saying, is that Bledsoe is really good.

Sabre Ally
11-01-2002, 02:54 AM
But.....he already knew that.

TypicalBill
11-01-2002, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by northernbillfan
So I guess what John's saying, is that Bledsoe is really good.

I still cant figure out why he does that :chuckle: im sure he's not
:coocoo: but doesn't he ever wonder if what he's saying is just a little tiny bit TOO OBVIOUS!!!!!!

The_Philster
11-01-2002, 04:52 AM
This IS exactly why i feel he's the most overrated sportscaster in the business. He comes off as arrogant, explaining the basics of the game as if everyone watching is watching their very first football game. He's gotten a little better this year with Al Michaels, but he's still way overrated.

NoCtUrNaL
11-01-2002, 05:50 AM
I've been calling him John "Firm Grasp of the Obvious" Madden for years now.

What I find amazing is that he's the best they can get to whatever it is he does and he gets paid mega-coin to do it.

I say ABC gets rid of him and hire a monkey for 3 bananas a game and the monkey can make chimp noises and pick bugs out of Al Michael's hair.

It would be far more entertaining, informative, and with the $$$ savings they could spare us a half a dozen less commercials per game.

SoCalBillsFan
11-01-2002, 06:12 AM
Me and CalBillsFan once saw an amazing stand up routine where a guy made fun of John Madden. We were both rolling. Of course, I can't remember the name of the guy or most of what he said.

One part I do remember is when he dropped this line making fun of madden stating the obvious:

"Now here's a guy who when he runs, he actually goes faster..."

definately something he would say.

TypicalBill
11-01-2002, 06:15 AM
I've been calling him John "Firm Grasp of the Obvious" Madden for years now.

- NoCtUrNaL

:lol: :chuckle:

Ð
11-01-2002, 06:42 AM
I wouldn't say he comes off as arrogant...quite the opposite.
Howard Cosell was arrogant. Bob Costas is arrogant. Don Cherry is a deadly combination of arrogance and knowing nothing about the game of hockey as it's played in 2002, but I think he's entertaining in a WWF kind of way. Madden's act is getting tired, as he loses grip with how the game of football is played in 2002. I'm not sure whether his supporting staff is feeding him pre-written bits that he reads on TV or if he just ad-libs his schtick, but it is getting tired and I find I'm laughing at him not with him...

Jman
11-01-2002, 07:02 AM
ABC... Madden... PFFFFT!

"Those fumbles really hurt ya because the other team has a chance to get the ball!"

"Kickoffs are best done when kicked far"

"Onside kicks are risky, the other team can get good field position"

But CBS got da Bills. Now theres some commentators you can stand to listen to.

Jeff1220
11-01-2002, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Jman
But CBS got da Bills. Now theres some commentators you can stand to listen to.

You mean like Dan Dierdorf :scratch: ?

Earthquake Enyart
11-01-2002, 09:07 AM
Madden talks about Brett Favre every game, whether Green Bay is playing or not. It's going to be a sickening love fest this week. :drool: But it should drive the fin fans nuts....:snicker:

ublinkwescore
11-01-2002, 09:11 AM
Who cares who's calling the game? As long as the Bills win, that's the only thing I care about. I think the NFL should fire Jeff Triplett although he did call one of his rare clean games this past week against detroit.

Kelly The Dog
11-01-2002, 09:21 AM
What do you want out of an analyst? It's easy to be a play-by-play guy like Al Michaels. Name one analyst that everyone likes? It's an impossible job, and while most jobs get easier with experience, an analysts often gets harder because fans have been watching them so long and think they say the same things over and over and/or are being obvious. How many ways can you explain a play after 20 years? How many fresh ways and clever sayings can you make after two decades? Plus, an analyst is asked to do something that is scientifically impossible: be everything to everyone. Be extremely detailed and technical to fanatic football fans like us that think we know everything, and AT THE SAME TIME be simple and not condescending and informative to the kid or sometimes fan or women or anyone that doesnt understand the intricacies. And they have no time to think, it must come out immediately, in a few seconds before the next play, without stumbling, and be fun and informative and entertaining and insightful and fresh and balanced and PC and... It's quite an impossible job.

Madden sucks, and antiquated, and timeworn, and yet is still excellent at his job, probably the best there is.

Earthquake Enyart
11-01-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
Name one analyst that everyone likes?

Melissa Stark.

Oh, wait, Andy Rooney doesn't like her. He's the only one.

Judge
11-01-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
What do you want out of an analyst? It's easy to be a play-by-play guy like Al Michaels. ... Madden sucks, and antiquated, and timeworn, and yet is still excellent at his job, probably the best there is.

Analysts usually are annoying b/c they only state the obvious, and Madden has used up his schtick.

1 guy who has impressed this year is Steve Tasker- his knowledge of the game and the rules makes for insightful analysis, as exemplified in the Bills-Houston game when he astutely explained why the early pass in the end zone to the Texans player wasn't a TD, explained the rule, and steadfastly held to his position while Capers challenged the call- Tasker was right, and the official explained the ruling exactly as Tasker analyzed it.

Good stuff- and what an analyst should really try to do: help the viewer understand what's going on out on the field, and why.

Kelly The Dog
11-01-2002, 09:31 AM
That call by Tasker was a good one, and he clearly knows the game, and has a good personality and voice. Personally, for the most part, I think Tasker is lousy despite a few shining moments. He rarely IMO uses any of that insight, and is very often wrong in the snap observations that are immediatey disproven by the replay. And simply doesnt have a lot to say during a game. I love the guy, don't get me wrong, and hope he does well, and I realize that he's young in the profession and could get a lot better. Which is another problem I forgot to mention in the post above, that there is simply no practice for being one, no apprenticeship, unless you go to college games for awhile, although they usually don't afford to let ex-NFL players do that, they just shove them in the booth like Tasker and just say wing it. The quality of today's analysts is just plain terrible, especially FOX.

Judge
11-01-2002, 09:37 AM
I disagree 100% with you on Tasker, Dog- that 1 example I cited was just the one that came to mind, but I've found him to be accurate, insightful, and easy to stomach listening to compared to other CBS analysts.

Kelly The Dog
11-01-2002, 09:50 AM
Oh well, we'll just have to agree to disagree, Judge. Again, I like Tasker a lot, and don't mind watching games with him doing the color at all, and I am personally pretty critical of announcers even though i understand how difficult a chore it is to do that job. I just think of Tasker as being the nice guy version of Paul Maguire. I love the dude, he's a Buffalo guy, I'm glad that he's doing the game and like listening to him. But the fact is that Paul Maguire is almost ALWAYS wrong. Ten times a game he will say WATCH THIS! and then you watch and it's not what happened. Sometimes it's not even close to what happened. He's extremely entertaining though. Next game Tasker does, I will try to listen to him very closely, and you try too if you can, and then we'll see if we can agree. Go Bills.

Earthquake Enyart
11-01-2002, 10:15 AM
I love it when Madden circles the wrong guy on the telestrator. He does that at least once a game.

All the Fox guys sound like Matt Millen. They are interchangable, Maas, Baldinger, Green....You can't tell them apart.

colin
11-01-2002, 10:30 AM
The Fox guys blow.

I used to not like Madden, but with Micheals I think he is great. While he is simple, he knows what he knows if you know what I mean. So many people double and triple think themselves out of football (Mike Martz, Buddy Ryan, Holmgren, the list goes on) and Madden is great at breaking it down and just telling you like it is.

I thaught Fouts was great too, he gave you an idea of what it was like on the field, what pisses players off and what conditions force them to make mistakes. He should cover the Bills.

Herdwatcher
11-01-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
This IS exactly why i feel he's the most overrated sportscaster in the business. He comes off as arrogant, explaining the basics of the game as if everyone watching is watching their very first football game. He's gotten a little better this year with Al Michaels, but he's still way overrated.

Madden was once the premire sportscaster. Age probably has something to do about the obvious phrases. Nobody could deliver play-by-play analysis like John. He was the pinnacle, when john spoke you listened. Give the guy a break, he is like a GOD when it comes to sportscasting. The past couple seasons Madden has been slipping from his greatness, and I'm sure of the MNF ratings he will not be back. Most likely out of football for good.

northernbillfan
11-01-2002, 11:05 AM
I still stand by my original thought and that is, I like Madden a lot. But his age probably has something to do with the way he is sounding.

I can't compare him to much, because I go to a sports bar to watch the NFL, and I see every game, but don't hear the announcers. The only games I hear the announcers do, is the Sunday night game (Best announcing team in the game), and Monday nighters.

The Natrix
11-01-2002, 11:08 AM
Madden sucks.

"pointing out the obvious" is my complaint as well

"well, ya, ya see, wh-when the kicker kicks the ball through the uprights, now thats 3 points. Except when it comes after a touchdown, in which case it is only worth 1 point." -madden

thanks for the insight John.

I really hope that this is the only season that he does MNF

bring in Joe Theisman, Phil Simms and keep Al Micheals

blcny
11-01-2002, 11:12 AM
What I can't stand about Madden is he only watches the games he covers. When he was with Fox all he knew about was the NFC. His All Madden Team was a joke. It was all NFC players. How many times did Bruce Smith get left of that team in the early 90's.

BlackJohn
11-01-2002, 03:54 PM
I think they gotta get more coaches into the booth, generally players don't know #$#!. I always thought vermeil was a good colour guy in college. Madden was never good for the average fan ... but he's always been great for beginner fans because he does state the obvious and football is such a confusing game for someone who knows nothing about it ... just try and explain it to your girfriend!.

Someone like Parcells would be great in the booth, he's got a great personality and alwys has good stuff to say on countdown.

Herdwatcher
11-01-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by blcny
What I can't stand about Madden is he only watches the games he covers. When he was with Fox all he knew about was the NFC. His All Madden Team was a joke. It was all NFC players. How many times did Bruce Smith get left of that team in the early 90's.

Bingo!! That steamed me up every freakin year.

Typ0
11-01-2002, 09:32 PM
You gotta convert those 3rd dwns or the drive is dead

That looks like a good sense of humor to me instead of an idiot spouting off. Do you really think Madden doesn't know he is talking to football fans?

Buffarama
11-01-2002, 09:35 PM
I predict Tasker will be the premier NFL color analyst of TV broadcasting 5 years from now.

The_Philster
11-01-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Typ0

That looks like a good sense of humor to me instead of an idiot spouting off. Do you really think Madden doesn't know he is talking to football fans?
Senility is setting in

Originally posted by Buffarama
I predict Tasker will be the premier NFL color analyst of TV broadcasting 5 years from now.

I agree with you....Tasker's been pretty good....will only get better I think