PDA

View Full Version : big mike williams now playing gard

shotgun
08-04-2004, 04:15 PM
as reported on wgr55 mike williams did not just show up early but was moved to guard

i remenber someone stateing something like this after mike did not show up for the first of 2 pratice that he missed good call...

the fan

_Ghost_Hackers
08-04-2004, 04:19 PM
What is a gard?

Ebenezer
08-04-2004, 04:21 PM
:jawdrop:

The Spaz
08-04-2004, 04:24 PM
If true I definitely see it as an upgrade!:up:

tomdonahoe
08-04-2004, 04:28 PM
I think this is a great move for big Mike and the Bills overall. Forget the salary, we need our best five out there and Pucillo is not one of them. Although this hinders our tackle depth.

I suggested this a while back in the offseason and I was ripped to shreds by everyone.

Kolbiss
08-04-2004, 04:36 PM
i like the idea.......i am confident in mcnally

casdhf
08-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Left Guard?

The Spaz
08-04-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by casdhf
Left Guard?

Yes Villarial is at RG.

tomdonahoe
08-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Has this been confirmed? A done deal?

Halbert
08-04-2004, 04:44 PM
Wow. Surprising.

TigerJ
08-04-2004, 04:49 PM
Really? On WGR this afternoon, they were talkling about it as an academic question in light of comments McNally has made in an interview to the effect that MW fits what he likes to see at guard though he wouldn't do it now because of chemistry/continuity issues. I never heard it presented as a dne deal.

Earthquake Enyart
08-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Big Mike at RG might stop all those stupid blitzes up the gut that killed us last year.

And, maybe we can run up the middle on 3rd and 1 now.

I'd like to see them try it in preseason.

Tatonka
08-04-2004, 05:09 PM
that is GREAT GREAT news...seriously.. price is a good starter.. he played great.. i WISH it was sullivan.. but sully just wants to pout.. so let price start.. sign him up for another couple years.. and move mike to guard.. if he turns out to be a dominant guard.. then we are in good shape.. i dont see anyway that he is NOT a good guard.

chernobylwraiths
08-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Really? On WGR this afternoon, they were talkling about it as an academic question in light of comments McNally has made in an interview to the effect that MW fits what he likes to see at guard though he wouldn't do it now because of chemistry/continuity issues. I never heard it presented as a dne deal.

I listened to GR on the way home from work at 3:30 and this exactly what I heard as well. I don't think he played guard.

Pride
08-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Bledsoe's blind side should be protected VERY well now...

I love this move!

:up:

Mr. Cynical
08-04-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Pride

I love this move!

The only thing that could protect Drew's blind side long enough for him to throw is a 50 ft long cement wall with barbed wire and automatic machine guns mounted at the top.

:jk:

Anything to get Pucillo out of there is a good move imo. And now that he doesn't have to move as much, his fat ass becomes much more of an ass-et. (pun intended)

Canadian'eh!
08-04-2004, 05:48 PM
I don't think this is true... must have been hypothetical talk.

It would be far more widespread n it's reporting.

but I hope I'm wrong.

Hemlepp53
08-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
If true I definitely see it as an upgrade!:up:

Originally posted by tomdonahoe
I think this is a great move for big Mike and the Bills overall. Forget the salary, we need our best five out there and Pucillo is not one of them. Although this hinders our tackle depth.

I suggested this a while back in the offseason and I was ripped to shreds by everyone.

Originally posted by danny4804
i like the idea.......i am confident in mcnally

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Big Mike at RG might stop all those stupid blitzes up the gut that killed us last year.

And, maybe we can run up the middle on 3rd and 1 now.

I'd like to see them try it in preseason.

Originally posted by Pride

I love this move!

I Agree With All The Above. Any Improvement Is Welcome. Big Mike Is Paid To Work. Reguardless Of The Job He Is Assigned He Should Do It With Feirce Dedication And Passion. Think About The Money That We are Talking About..... I Would Be Willing To Hand Out Gatorade And Towels And Wipe Down The Shower Walls After Each Game And Pratice .... Give Me The Loot!!!

McBFLO
08-04-2004, 06:23 PM
If Big Mike is at LG, who is taking over at RT, Price?

madness
08-04-2004, 06:29 PM
Hmm...interesting. I hope this plays out.

Hemlepp53
08-04-2004, 06:33 PM
I honestly do not think that the new coaching staff wouldnt make such a move without giving it seriouc thought. Think of the Negitive side of this move for the HC and his boys is things go bad... I have FAITH in the HC and his Crew...

ryjam282
08-04-2004, 07:31 PM
I like the move as well. I can't see anyone in the NFL that will be able to bull rush him. I mean, 6'8" 370 pounds. That just isn't being pushed back. I can't wait to see how this pans out.

Turf
08-04-2004, 07:31 PM
I've been saying the for the last year MW would make an all pro guard like a Larry Allen. Great move if true. He could be the best guard in the league.

Novacane
08-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
I listened to GR on the way home from work at 3:30 and this exactly what I heard as well. I don't think he played guard.

Yep. I had WGR on all afternoon. They were talking about is he should play guard, not that he was moved there

Ebenezer
08-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
Yep. I had WGR on all afternoon. They were talking about is he should play guard, not that he was moved there

so they went from "end of the world because Big Mike is not here" to "Big Mike is so important that he should be switched to a position he has never played"? I love how talk radio has to conjure up listeners and topics.

chernobylwraiths
08-04-2004, 08:11 PM
They were talking about it because McNally is quoted in an article that he "thought" about moving Williams to guard. He went on to say that he won't make any rash moves like that right now because the last thing the line needs right now is to lose the little bit of cohesiveness they have. That is all. So they ran with that.

The guy opposite Schopp (Bulldog or whoever) is so freaking negative it is unbelievable. I heard how yesterday the talk was about Vegas odds have the Bills over/under for wins at 7.5. Schopp had it as almost a lock to go with the over while the other guy said it was almost a lock for him the other way.

Today, Bulldog talked about how terrible that fourth overall pick is if Williams turns into a guard. Like a great or good guard is nothing in this league and that he would be way overpaid. To run the ball well, you have to have good guard play. Personally, I think Williams will start at right tackle from game one and will be at least a good tackle for years to come. I think he probably could be a great guard. With major busts that happen even in the top picks in the draft, I wouldn't think that a good player, especially as such a tough position like tackle would be a bad thing. If he IS moved to guard and becomes a pro bowler, I think the pick is still well worth it. As I said, I think he will be our RT this year and for years and Jonas will probably be gone at the end of the year, finally giving Marcus Price his chance to start full time.

helmetguy
08-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Wasn't one of the major *****es last season about being so soft up the middle of the O-line? I mean, one of Bledsoe's touted strengths was his ability to avoid the outside pass rush by stepping up in the pocket. How many times did opponents just bull rush up the middle, or overload the middle and compress the pocket? Having MW-as big as he is-might not be a bad idea. Guards are so underappreciated.

finsrclowns
08-04-2004, 08:38 PM
I'd love to see it but I'd be shocked if it does happen. My only question: was McNally doing a standup routine when he made the comment that the downside of moving Big Mike was it would upset the line's continuity? The only thing continuous about the OL is the poor level of play.

chernobylwraiths
08-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Well here's the very short article and link:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/default.htm

Though OL coach Jim McNally told PFW that mammoth ORT Mike Williams may ultimately serve the team best as a guard, using his size and power to help neutralize space-eating DTs like Ted Washington, McNally admitted that his ability to make changes has been restricted. Because he’s in his first year with the Bills as part of Mike Mular_key’s initial staff, McNally told PFW that it wasn’t in the best interests of a Buffalo team with high expectations to overhaul the O-line. “You screw up any consistency they once had if you move too many people around,” McNally said. “It would be OK if we were an expansion team and people _didn’t expect much. Then, you (could) have some trial and error.”

TigerJ
08-04-2004, 09:32 PM
I'm actually warming to the idea that Mike play guard this year. I don't think it has to be a permanent move, however. I mentioned on another board he could play left guard this season, the if they could help him get serious about his weight and drop to say 350 I think he could be an awesome left tackle should Jennings bolt the team and he gets some good coaching from McNally.

Ebenezer
08-04-2004, 09:47 PM
I know the C and LT position are specialty positions but I just want the best 5 out there...

Big M
08-05-2004, 04:31 AM
What is a gard?

It's how WGR spells the position. My friend watched the practice and said Williams took all his snaps at Tackle. The report is pure crap. I read another post where WGR's beat reporter, some doof named Paul Hamilton, said Josh Reed was dropping passes. My friend said Reed stood out and was catching everything.

I think WGR is just terrible.

Canadian'eh!
08-05-2004, 05:41 AM
Actually.... one fo my members who went on tuesday afternoon i believe said reed had a bit of the dropsies in that session... but it has not ben a constant thing that i have heard of.... just one drill at 1 practice.

tomdonahoe
08-05-2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Canadian'eh!
Actually.... one fo my members who went on tuesday afternoon i believe said reed had a bit of the dropsies in that session... but it has not ben a constant thing that i have heard of.... just one drill at 1 practice.

Canadian'eh!:

I beg you to get rid of that embarassing video in your signature. I'm not ready to laugh yet in fact I'm not over the pain. Please, I beg.

Hemlepp53
08-05-2004, 06:37 AM
Would of been an interesting thing to watch unfold. I just hope changes are made as needed during the season to upgrade the Offensive level of play...

Earthquake Enyart
08-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
Well here's the very short article and link:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/default.htm

Because he’s in his first year with the Bills as part of Mike Mular_key’s initial staff, McNally told PFW that it wasn’t in the best interests of a Buffalo team with high expectations to overhaul the O-line.

Oh no. Mular_key’s going with the underscore. We're doomed. :mad:

hurls
08-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by _Ghost_Hackers
What is a gard?

Lol, dude, you have a lot to study if you're gonna figure out this guy's own language.

Originally posted by TigerJ

Just another great mislead from sideline reporter shotgun. :D