PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie out?

Billsbabee
08-04-2004, 07:06 PM
I joined a "just for fun" FF league with my bro and family and have no clue. :( How do I do my team, as in how many of each should I pick and what positions first? We have 15 man teams- 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 6 bench. I have done some reading on it but am hoping some of you guys can help me out. Be serious pretty please.......Thx :)

Mr. Miyagi
08-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Oh boy where do we start....

Charlieguide
08-04-2004, 07:24 PM
How is scoring done in your league? That will help you determine what positions are most important.

Generally, leagues favor RB's first, then QB or WR (depends on scoring system). Typically, TE, K, and D are late-round picks, except for the very best.

There are different approaches to the bench, but you'll probably want to be able to cover injuries and bye weeks at most positions. Personally, I prefer to have only one bench spot devoted to K or D, and use free agency to cover the bye week.

When drafting, keep all that in mind, but more importantly, find one or more player rating systems that you trust. (just do an internet search for them.) Don't get too caught up in prioritizing positions, just take the best player available until you have your starting spots filled.

good luck & have fun

Mr. Miyagi
08-04-2004, 08:25 PM
I usually like to keep about 4-5 kickers for my team. They kick a lot in games so they score a lot. Plus running backs are a dime a dozen. Any one of them will do.

:ontome:

Sabre Ally
08-04-2004, 08:57 PM
bad Miyagi

Mr. Miyagi
08-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Spank me baby. :D

Sabre Ally
08-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Ok.

:spanku:

chubluv
08-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Sabre Ally
bad Miyagi

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Spank me baby. :D

Ok.

:spanku:

now who needs to get a room MM... lol

chubluv
08-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Billsbabee
I joined a "just for fun" FF league with my bro and family and have no clue. :( How do I do my team, as in how many of each should I pick and what positions first? We have 15 man teams- 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 6 bench. I have done some reading on it but am hoping some of you guys can help me out. Be serious pretty please.......Thx :)

its real simple you go to a store buy ONE magazine. Read it a little just get the jist of things. Find the cheat sheets rip it out and draft in the order that they have the players ranked. Your new to this game you dont want to get 19 different stat sheets and study till your head hurts. You want top have fun not develope migrane headaches. Oh & dont forget to keep a copy of the teams by weeks you dont want to many players with the same week off its not good for scoring..

Sabre Ally
08-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by chubluv
:naughty:

Philagape
08-04-2004, 11:36 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/fantasy/university

Billsbabee
08-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Oh boy where do we start....

Yeah no kidding! I am so confused and ready to lose but hopefully learn something from the whole thing :laughter:

I usually like to keep about 4-5 kickers for my team. They kick a lot in games so they score a lot. Plus running backs are a dime a dozen. Any one of them will do.

I do know enough that I know you are full of poo-poo on this MM. :D

Billsbabee
08-05-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Charlieguide
How is scoring done in your league? That will help you determine what positions are most important.

Generally, leagues favor RB's first, then QB or WR (depends on scoring system). Typically, TE, K, and D are late-round picks, except for the very best.

There are different approaches to the bench, but you'll probably want to be able to cover injuries and bye weeks at most positions. Personally, I prefer to have only one bench spot devoted to K or D, and use free agency to cover the bye week.

When drafting, keep all that in mind, but more importantly, find one or more player rating systems that you trust. (just do an internet search for them.) Don't get too caught up in prioritizing positions, just take the best player available until you have your starting spots filled.

good luck & have fun

Oh no, this will require serious thinking again! :chuckle: It's a yahoo league if that tells you anything and goes something like this-

Passing yards - 50 yds per pt
Passing td - 6 pts
Int's - (-2) pts
Rushing yds - 20 yds per pt
Rushing td - 6 pts
Reception yds - 20 yds per pt
Reception td - 6 pts
Return td - 6 pts

Thanks for the help, appreciate it. I hope it's fun but I'm not counting on luck :confused:

Billsbabee
08-05-2004, 08:49 AM
its real simple you go to a store buy ONE magazine. Read it a little just get the jist of things. Find the cheat sheets rip it out and draft in the order that they have the players ranked. Your new to this game you dont want to get 19 different stat sheets and study till your head hurts. You want top have fun not develope migrane headaches. Oh & dont forget to keep a copy of the teams by weeks you dont want to many players with the same week off its not good for scoring..

I did get one of those books (FF Index) but I think it's written in Chinese :scratch: :laughter:

It has cheat sheets...lots of them....but that sounds like my best bet....to try to follow one of them

So I shouldn't be a homer and draft all Bills players? ;)

Thanks for your help chubluv :)

Originally posted by Philagape
http://www.sportsline.com/fantasy/university

Thanks Philagape, I'll check it out :)

Mr. Miyagi
08-05-2004, 12:48 PM
SabreAlley did you hear that? I'm ready!! :hump:

Mr. Miyagi
08-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Billsbabee
I do know enough that I know you are full of poo-poo on this MM. :D
You're right. I couldn't fool you. Here's the real advice:

Pick a top notch defense in the first 4 rounds. Defenses score a lot and they can't "get hurt" like a individual player will, so they go quickly in a draft.

Sabre Ally
08-05-2004, 12:51 PM
SabreAlley did you hear that? I'm ready!! :hump:

Yeah..but you're also in Wisconsin. :snicker:

Mr. Miyagi
08-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Yeah..but you're also in Wisconsin. :snicker:
Cyber it baby! :naughty:

Sabre Ally