Isn't it funny how QBs with great O-lines...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloRanger
    WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
    • Mar 2003

Isn't it funny how QBs with great O-lines...

never get accused of holding the ball to long?

Because they have a strong O-line they can hold the ball and wait for the long routes to open up.

But with a weak O-line they are supposed to get rid of it quicker, to WRs that are still covered.

Maybe QBs don't just lose it suddenly - Warner, Bledsoe, etc - maybe they can't make the adjustment.

So then I think the answer becomes...Improve your linemen or your QB.

What have the Bills done? I hope improving coaching was enough.
    Buffalo Only and Always.
  • Bufftp
    Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

I believe the key to a great O is a great O-line.
    Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
    "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
    Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
    - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
    to be led by permanent ideals -
    that is what keeps a man patient
    when the world ignores him,
    and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

we dont have to worry about that.. because drew will never and has never been a great qb.. regardless of his oline.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• don137
        • Jul 2002

The same can be said that QBs that hold onto the ball too long never are said to have a great offensive line...

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

funny... last i checked.. all qbs in the nfl should be very good if they have good olines.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

Originally posted by Bufftp

I believe the key to a great O is a great O-line.
            It is, and ours has to be better because of McNally. And whether you like Drew or not, he will be better because of the O line improvement.

Love your sig, Bufftp.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
              we dont have to worry about that.. because drew will never and has never been a great qb.. regardless of his oline.
              Mularkey said, he will not make his players do what they can't do. I guess he won't make Drew make his own calls. If he can make Drew do what he's only told to do, we'll be fine.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                • Jul 2002

Great post!

Comment

• Goobylal
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Tatonka
                  Got a question for you Tat. Do you consider Kelly a "great QB?" Why or why not.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                    • Jul 2003

How can you blame Warner's injury on a bad O-Line?

You can point to injury, but the fact is Marc Bulger played a lot better than him with the same O-Line.

As for Drew, Brady played a lot better than him with pretty much the same team. When the Patriots won the Super Bowl, Brady was sacked 41 times. That O-Line wasn't much to write home about, but Brady got the job done with limited talent around him.

In Buffalo, did the O-Line suck all of a sudden after 6 games? The first 6 games of 2002 Drew was on fire, then he steadily got worse and finished the season playing poorly. Did the O-Line suddenly get sucky after 6 games?

It isn't like Drew didn't have the running game to take the pressure off, Travis Henry has had some big games while Drew struggled.

Maybe you guys should consider that Drew is what he is, and isn't going to change any more than Rob Johnson did.

Comment

• saviorbledsoe
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by NE39

You can point to injury, but the fact is Marc Bulger played a lot better than him with the same O-Line.

As for Drew, Brady played a lot better than him with pretty much the same team. When the Patriots won the Super Bowl, Brady was sacked 41 times. That O-Line wasn't much to write home about, but Brady got the job done with limited talent around him.

In Buffalo, did the O-Line suck all of a sudden after 6 games? The first 6 games of 2002 Drew was on fire, then he steadily got worse and finished the season playing poorly. Did the O-Line suddenly get sucky after 6 games?

It isn't like Drew didn't have the running game to take the pressure off, Travis Henry has had some big games while Drew struggled.

Maybe you guys should consider that Drew is what he is, and isn't going to change any more than Rob Johnson did.
                      and maybe the team didnt know how good it was under Drew and just needed a change? I may be wrong but Bulger was the starting QB when he was injured and the Rams out of NOWHERE won the superbowl in 99 but Bulger is still a great qb. The team didnt know how good it was until there wasa change and it had to rally around the backup qb.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                        Maybe?
                        • Oct 2003

All valid points and I agree 100%.

I just hope the rest of the offense improves enough to overcome Drew's many shortcomings. Actually, I hope JP shows unreal progress in camp/preseason and ends up starting.

Seriously, I read an article today that Bradshaw is strongly promoting that Coughlin should start Eli. The reasons he gives are pretty compelling IMO. I mean, Bradshaw was a rookie starter himself and I think he turned out "okay".

Comment

• Goobylal
                          • Jan 2004

Maybe, just maybe, Tom Brady is the perfect QB for the Patriots' system (and believe me, it IS a system)? Maybe all those new players they added prior to the 2001 season started to jell right when Bledsoe went down, seeing as how they gave up 23 points to the mighty Bengals' offense, and then just 17 to the impotent Colts' offense? Maybe Bledsoe having crap coaches and/or players for most of his career in NE AND in Buffalo, unlike Brady whose had Weis and some great system (again) players? I guess we'll find out this year, because the Bills have some good players AND coaches now, not to mention a good defense.

Comment

• ScottLawrence
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Goobylal
                            Maybe, just maybe, Tom Brady is the perfect QB for the Patriots' system (and believe me, it IS a system)? Maybe all those new players they added prior to the 2001 season started to jell right when Bledsoe went down, seeing as how they gave up 23 points to the mighty Bengals' offense, and then just 17 to the impotent Colts' offense? Maybe Bledsoe having crap coaches and/or players for most of his career in NE AND in Buffalo, unlike Brady whose had Weis and some great system (again) players? I guess we'll find out this year, because the Bills have some good players AND coaches now, not to mention a good defense.

Our O-Line is still pretty bad.
                            You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• HenryRules
                              • Jul 2002

That first Super Bowl year in St. Louis Trent Green was supposed to be the starter before he got injured and Warner took over. Neither played in St. Louis the year before (I think Green was in Washington that year).

Bulger wasn't even in the NFL in those days ... this is only his 4th season now.

I don't think any of St. Louis' starting QB's pre-Warner are doing anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X