PDA

View Full Version : Let's Get Our O-line Thoughts Clear...

I'M A BELIEVER
08-05-2004, 07:57 AM
We can start with Left Tackle....Jennings' job, locked down....no contest, Teague not moving to tackle this year even if we surprisingly get Pete Kendall.

Left guard right now up for grabs....the staff is going to have to make a decision and run with it

My opinion is that at this point in the season, there should be no reason to be afraid to move Mike Williams to LG. You are really only messing with one position because Reuben is gone anyway and Williams is part of the unit already (it's not like he's a free agent or a rookie). Make the switch now, and stick with it....

THE FIVE BEST PLAYERS SHOULD BE ON THE FIELD!

Center is Teague's job, he is servicable and can't be any worse than last year. McNally will get the most out of him and the blocking and protection schemes will be much simpler under Clements/Mularky, putting Teague in a better position to succeed.
McNally will also work on his shotgun snap and smooth it out a bit.

Right Guard is pretty much a lock for Villarrial here...he is solid and agressive. A big upgrade from last year in my opinion. I have watched him play, and I think Bills fans will like the guy and his presence will be felt. He is a bit slow coming around the corner when they run plays with a pulling guard, but he is really a pretty devastating blocker at the point of attack and his footwork and vision are good on pass protection. At least that's what I think, I am no professional scout.....

Right Tackle could be up in the air too, but I honestly think Marcus Price is the man for the job. Cagey veteran, familiar face, and overall a very solid player. Not a huge upgrade over Williams last year, but not a drop off either. With significant playing time at RT, he will get back in the swing of things and could be impressive. Not a Pro Bowler, but with a right tackle, it would be nice to not hear much about him....just get the job done.

BACKUPS:

Marques Sullivan is the primary backup at both Tackle positions...
Ross Tucker the primary backup for both Guards
Either Sobieski or Coons back up Center...I have heard from people at the practices (my old High School coach) that Coons looks real good...
Not a whole lot of quality depth right now, would not surprise me to see Bills pick up a versatile guy off of the waiver wire...

NOW......what does everyone else think?

Jan Reimers
08-05-2004, 10:31 AM
We sure would have some beef - about 700 lbs. worth - on the left side with Jennings and Williams there, and only one player - Big Mike - would really be changing positions.

My guess is, however, that Williams stays at RT, Price remains a very valuable backup, and we develop Pucillo or Tucker - or bring in someone - at LG. That's why I like the idea of signing Kendall, but apparently TD does not.

juice
08-05-2004, 10:50 AM
If MW is over 400lbs we may have no other choice than to move him to Guard.

ShadowHawk7
08-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
That's why I like the idea of signing Kendall, but apparently TD does not.

A pity.. :sadwalk:

casdhf
08-05-2004, 11:15 AM
I think I like the idea of having our guys learning more than 1 position. If for no reason other than depth, having 5 Starters that can play more than 1 position is great. If our best backups are tackles, it makes sense to have someone that can fill in at guard. The Pats have been successful at this for a while, they seem to be doing allright.

juice
08-05-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by casdhf
I think I like the idea of having our guys learning more than 1 position. If for no reason other than depth, having 5 Starters that can play more than 1 position is great. If our best backups are tackles, it makes sense to have someone that can fill in at guard. The Pats have been successful at this for a while, they seem to be doing allright.

Specialization vs Versitility

With the way this line is shaping up we may not have a choice but to use trial and error.

McNally might be the man for the job.