PDA

View Full Version : MW "The Next Big Thing" to eat his way out of the League

juice
08-05-2004, 02:29 PM
If Mike Williams is over 400lbs can he be an effective starter at RT after having some problems with Outside Speed Rushers last year.

LINK (buffalonews.com/editorial/20040805/1015730.asp?tbd1015730.asp)

Maybe he could be moved over next to JJ at LG.. I think JJ will struggle somewhat without good Guard play on that side.

The Spaz
08-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Seriously taking **** out on Williams because your boy Brown is gone is pathetic. Willaims is back in there and you think a guy like Rusty Jones isn't going to be on him everyday?

Ebenezer
08-05-2004, 02:35 PM
they better fine his fat a$$ if he is over 400 lbs.

juice
08-05-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Seriously taking **** out on Williams because your boy Brown is gone is pathetic. Willaims is back in there and you think a guy like Rusty Jones isn't going to be on him everyday?

I wonder if Rusty can help him shed those 25 extra lbs before Jacksonville comes to town.

The Spaz
08-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by juice
I wonder if Rusty can help him shed those 25 extra lbs before Jacksonville comes to town.

I bet you he will as long as Williams is determined to give his best like he said with this incident behind him.

juice
08-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
they better fine his fat a$$ if he is over 400 lbs.

Seemed like you could see the weight issues creeping up throughout last Season.. Even 385-390 would be a lack of professionalism in the off-seaon on his part.

The thing that worried me the most in that article is when it said he may have been thinking about retirement at one point and I havn't heard him deny it in any way.. but his actions earlier this week seemed to be those of someone who didn't want to play this year.

Bulldog
08-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Seemed like you could see the weight issues creeping up throughout last Season.. Even 385-390 would be a lack of professionalism in the off-seaon on his part.

The thing that worried me the most in that article is when it said he may have been thinking about retirement at one point and I havn't heard him deny it in any way.. but his actions earlier this week seemed to be those of someone who didn't want to play this year.

And its looks as though they quoted a reliable source with regards to the retirement talk:

"There was talk on the team that he was so down he was talking, at least briefly, about retirement. If that was the case, his mind-set had turned around Wednesday"

Juice, neither you or I or many of his teammates know exactly what was going on. So unless your boy Ruben filled you in with the details, zip it.

juice
08-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog
And its looks as though they quoted a reliable source with regards to the retirement talk:

"There was talk on the team that he was so down he was talking, at least briefly, about retirement. If that was the case, his mind-set had turned around Wednesday"

Juice, neither you or I or many of his teammates know exactly what was going on. So unless your boy Ruben filled you in with the details, zip it.

I Know he looks like he's 400 lbs.. and I know he acted like he was ready to quit on Monday and Tuesday of this week.. I also Know he couldn't deal with fast outside rushers last season at 375lbs, so I Don't think he will be any more able this year at 400 lbs.

I think these are all issues that will effect the line-play this year and you know what our line looked like last year and this line is probably worse and less settled on positions without cohesivness, Little experience and no leaders on the line.

Ruebon was the leader of that line for 8 Pro Bowl seasons.

That Guy
08-05-2004, 03:22 PM
I also Know he couldn't deal with fast outside rushers last season at 375lbs, so I Don't think he will be any more able this year at 400 lbs.

Maybe he should just keep gaining weight, enough to cover an entire third of a field.

juice
08-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by That Guy
Maybe he should just keep gaining weight, enough to cover an entire third of a field.

That guy is huge, That Guy.. Looks like Gilbert Grapes Mom

Tatonka
08-05-2004, 03:26 PM
i wish it was the offseason again..

i remember the days when juice didnt post for weeks at a time..

ah.. the good old days..

Tatonka
08-05-2004, 03:27 PM
juice.. you know.. you can see someone about your infactuation with running backs that kill their wives and offensive lineman that get to the probowl on reputation alone.

get those issues worked out bud.. i am pulling for you.

juice
08-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i wish it was the offseason again..

i remember the days when juice didnt post for weeks at a time..

ah.. the good old days..

Glad you missed me, I didn't know you cared.

juice.. you know.. you can see someone about your infactuation with running backs that kill their wives and offensive lineman that get to the probowl on reputation alone.

get those issues worked out bud.. i am pulling for you.

And I cant understand your infactuation with a Sport that is about to fold, Brutal, takes little natural ability, and played on Skates, Like Girly-Men.

You ever play any Football Tonk.. Or do you just talk a good game?

Tatonka
08-05-2004, 05:15 PM
i played football as well.. i was a TE and DE..

and how can you describe a sport as brutal, and then call the players "girly-men"?

besides.. i am not infactuated with it.. football means much more to me..

and as far as no natural ability.. you obviously never played hockey... to be a top athlete in hockey, natural ability has tons to do with it.

just like football.

rofl.. you called hockey brutal.. cuz guys smashing into one another all over the place trying to get a football is not brutal at all, right? maybe you mean brutal, as in fights.. in which case, it doesnt surprise me.. you were probably the kid that wanted to talk things through to try and keep from getting the snot kicked out of you.

HenryRules
08-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
I bet you he will as long as Williams is determined to give his best like he said with this incident behind him.

Didn't he say he was determined to give his best just before the incident?

MW is definitely in "put up" or "shut up" time ... quit saying you'll be dedicated and get out there and show it.

The Spaz
08-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

MW is definitely in "put up" or "shut up" time ... quit saying you'll be dedicated and get out there and show it.

I don't think so training camp just started.

juice
08-05-2004, 06:52 PM

and how can you describe a sport as brutal, and then call the players "girly-men"?

I was speaking more about skating being kind of a CHICK activity and only a GIRL-TYPE man would want to immitate Brian Boitano... The Sport incorporating Fighting into the game for purposes of popularity is Idiotic and Brutal, Shows that the game has no Sportsmanship.

A sportman shouldn't want to see his opponent physically injured in a contest, to gain victory.. Unless it is a Combat Sport.

Boxing is be a sport that might fit your personallity, You can Take it up once the NHL goes under.

If you like Goal Scoring I'm sure VT has classes in Field Hockey, They are expected to dominate the ACC this year in that sport.

His attitude change did seem to come all of a sudden, His actions this week didn't hold consistant with everything being Resolved. At near 400 lbs we will soon see if he really Put his issues behind him.

Mr. Cynical
08-06-2004, 06:19 PM
I was speaking more about skating being kind of a CHICK activity and only a GIRL-TYPE man would want to immitate Brian Boitano... The Sport incorporating Fighting into the game for purposes of popularity is Idiotic and Brutal, Shows that the game has no Sportsmanship.

A sportman shouldn't want to see his opponent physically injured in a contest, to gain victory.. Unless it is a Combat Sport.

Boxing is be a sport that might fit your personallity, You can Take it up once the NHL goes under.

If you like Goal Scoring I'm sure VT has classes in Field Hockey, They are expected to dominate the ACC this year in that sport.

Ok, I was going to let you and Tonk duke it out, but then after reading this I had to jump in.

First let's address your point about skating. It is the only major sport (e.g., baseball, football, basketball being the top 3) that is played where players can travel faster than they could normally. Not only is that more dangerous, it is more difficult because it adds a layer of complexity just to move around.

Second, let's talk about fighting and sportsmanship. The ONLY reason you don't see fighting in the other major sports is because they would literally kill each other. When you are on skates you cannot get the same leverage as you can when on foot. But make no mistake, there are alot more "criminal types" in the NFL or NBA that would just love to brain their opponents.

Yes, there is a certain "acceptance" level by the league of fighting. (although that has gone down considerably over the last decade) But again, that is largely because they can't really hurt each other that badly and it does make for some exciting and heated rivalries. Note: I am NOT talking about hitting with sticks or other actions which can seriously hurt people. I am talking about the 15-30 sec tussle, punch and fall to the ice thing where the worst is usually a bloody nose. People love to see people get creamed in the NFL so this is not that far away. In addtiion, just listen to a lineman talk and they will tell you that brutal things go on that the refs (or the cameras) never see. Physical violence is physical violence. Pot calling the kettle black on that one.

And there is no comparison that *on average*, NHL players have alot more "sportsmanship" than NFL/NBA players do. Their attitudes are FAR less "me, me, me". You ask an NHL player what he would be doing if not for hockey and he says fireman 90% of the time. Ask the same of an NFL/NBA player (again, on average) and he'll say rock star or some other fame-oriented career.

And just look at the off the field issues which reflect character. Try comparing the NHL to the other sports and you'll see what I mean. How many coke addicts/rapists have you heard about in hockey?

Football is still my favorite sport to watch. But I for one really hope that hockey doesn't fold. In some respects it is the last bastion of hope for a non-corrupted, non-"only in it for the money" team sport. I'm not sure what the issue is (small arenas?) but it's a great sport that has been around since the 1850s. (football was invented in 1880)

Philagape
08-06-2004, 06:32 PM
A few points about hockey:

-- It is the only team sport where every player is in perpetual motion.
-- By far the fastest sport.
-- The coolest uniforms.
-- The most well-known trophy in the world.
-- It is the only team sport with a formal post-series handshake.
-- Hockey has the best athletes. Fat slobs can play football, baseball or basketball, but not hockey. Try playing 80 to 100 games wearing that equipment -- some of it in the warm spring -- and taking those hits. The Stanley Cup playoffs is the most grueling tournament in team sports.

juice
08-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
Ok, I was going to let you and Tonk duke it out, but then after reading this I had to jump in.

First let's address your point about skating. It is the only major sport (e.g., baseball, football, basketball being the top 3) that is played where players can travel faster than they could normally. Not only is that more dangerous, it is more difficult because it adds a layer of complexity just to move around.

Second, let's talk about fighting and sportsmanship. The ONLY reason you don't see fighting in the other major sports is because they would literally kill each other. When you are on skates you cannot get the same leverage as you can when on foot. But make no mistake, there are alot more "criminal types" in the NFL or NBA that would just love to brain their opponents.

Yes, there is a certain "acceptance" level by the league of fighting. (although that has gone down considerably over the last decade) But again, that is largely because they can't really hurt each other that badly and it does make for some exciting and heated rivalries. Note: I am NOT talking about hitting with sticks or other actions which can seriously hurt people. I am talking about the 15-30 sec tussle, punch and fall to the ice thing where the worst is usually a bloody nose. People love to see people get creamed in the NFL so this is not that far away. In addtiion, just listen to a lineman talk and they will tell you that brutal things go on that the refs (or the cameras) never see. Physical violence is physical violence. Pot calling the kettle black on that one.

And there is no comparison that *on average*, NHL players have alot more "sportsmanship" than NFL/NBA players do. Their attitudes are FAR less "me, me, me". You ask an NHL player what he would be doing if not for hockey and he says fireman 90% of the time. Ask the same of an NFL/NBA player (again, on average) and he'll say rock star or some other fame-oriented career.

And just look at the off the field issues which reflect character. Try comparing the NHL to the other sports and you'll see what I mean. How many coke addicts/rapists have you heard about in hockey?

Football is still my favorite sport to watch. But I for one really hope that hockey doesn't fold. In some respects it is the last bastion of hope for a non-corrupted, non-"only in it for the money" team sport. I'm not sure what the issue is (small arenas?) but it's a great sport that has been around since the 1850s. (football was invented in 1880)

I'd hate to see any Pro League Fail
Originally posted by Philagape
A few points about hockey:

-- It is the only team sport where every player is in perpetual motion.
-- By far the fastest sport.
-- The coolest uniforms.
-- The most well-known trophy in the world.
-- It is the only team sport with a formal post-series handshake.
-- Hockey has the best athletes. Fat slobs can play football, baseball or basketball, but not hockey. Try playing 80 to 100 games wearing that equipment -- some of it in the warm spring -- and taking those hits. The Stanley Cup playoffs is the most grueling tournament in team sports.

The Goaly's definitly have the collest Uni's.

bills_7
08-06-2004, 08:23 PM
And I cant understand your infactuation with a Sport that is about to fold, Brutal, takes little natural ability, and played on Skates, Like Girly-Men.
You ever play any Football Tonk.. Or do you just talk a good game?

Football is a ruff sport dont get me wrong but when it comes to hockey it is the most physically demanding sport out there....(other then rugby maybe)

u clearly have nvr laced up a pair of skates before..... "it takes little natural abillity" thats fackin hilarious its probably the hardest sport to learn and play.....

juice
08-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by bills_7

u clearly have nvr laced up a pair of skates before.....

u clearly are correct.. I've also never taken a leak while squatting.. Just doesn't seem like the Manly thing to do.. But to each Her own. :snicker:

HenryRules
08-07-2004, 01:17 AM
You guys are alll forgetting lacrosse.

I've played both lacrosse and hockey (and both at a junior level). Once one understands the strategy/ideas involved in lacrosse, I really don't think that one would prefer hockey as a spectator sport. I know lacrosse isn't considered one of the big 4, but really, with NFL, MLB, NCAA, NBA, WNBA, MLS, PGA, is hockey still one of the top sports?

By the way, I played hockey from 3 yrs old ot 18 yrs old (at the major junior level) - and lacrosse from 9 to 17, so it's not a case of never having experienced the other at a high level.

Also, NHL hockey sucks. Anyone that has watched NCAA, major junior or US high school and finds NHL more entertaining has to be kidding.

Mr. Cynical
08-07-2004, 01:59 AM
You guys are alll forgetting lacrosse.

I've played both lacrosse and hockey (and both at a junior level). Once one understands the strategy/ideas involved in lacrosse, I really don't think that one would prefer hockey as a spectator sport. I know lacrosse isn't considered one of the big 4, but really, with NFL, MLB, NCAA, NBA, WNBA, MLS, PGA, is hockey still one of the top sports?

By the way, I played hockey from 3 yrs old ot 18 yrs old (at the major junior level) - and lacrosse from 9 to 17, so it's not a case of never having experienced the other at a high level.

Also, NHL hockey sucks. Anyone that has watched NCAA, major junior or US high school and finds NHL more entertaining has to be kidding.

I played lax for a couple of seasons. Agreed - very tough sport.

But yes, hockey is still one of the major sports hands down. NFL, NBA and MLB are the others. WNBA??? That's actually pretty funny. NCAA is not pro and is really a subordinate league to the NBA so I don't put it on the same level. MLS...love soccer...played 8 years...but just not that popular here in the U.S. Takes incredible conditioning which alot of people don't get. But when I said major I should probably have said US-based. (Reason being the other 3 are) But on the world scale it absolutely qualifies. PGA? That's a tough call. I personally think golf is a game, not a sport, much like bowling. It takes practice and skill, but not athleticism (for the most part). The players do make a *****load of money though so I guess it could be argued to be on the list.

As for the entertainment value of juinor league hockey over the NHL...well, personally I want to watch the very best at the sport play. That means the NHL, since they only take the cream of the crop. Watching any other level and you will get a good percentage of scrubs playing as well. For me that just doesn't cut it.

bills_7
08-07-2004, 05:52 AM

Im sorry but nothing is better then the NHL playoffs...
NFL is better to watch all season round but if we r jst talkin playoffs hockey is def better

HenryRules
08-07-2004, 01:14 PM
Sorry, I should have put a qualifier in there ... NHL playoffs are definitely entertaining and something I love to watch.

NHL regular season just sucks though and takes way, way too long

Philagape
08-07-2004, 01:54 PM
You want to see some good hockey, the World Cup is in September. The greatest hockey I've ever seen was the 1987 Canada Cup (same thing). Gretzky and Lemieux beating the Soviets.