PDA

View Full Version : whats the deal with Willis?

_Ghost_Hackers
08-09-2004, 12:14 AM
I just dont understand. I hope he becomes great - dont get me wrong, but what I dont understand is pushing Henry out of his starting spot.

WHAT ELSE COULD HENRY HAVE DONE TO KEEP HIS SPOT? He has back to back 1,300 yard + seasons. Last year he played with a broken foot and torn rib cartilage.

What more can you ask of him? And after that we just take away his carries because we got a 1st round pick ... that just makes no sense to me.

Mr. Cynical
08-09-2004, 12:22 AM
I understand what you mean, but here's the reason. Henry is as good as he is going to get. He is a very solid runner but is not an elite back. Willis, though still early to know for sure, has the potential to be just that (if you go by his college career)

Henry can pound it out and get yards, but he is never going to be one of those backs that defensive coordinators lose sleep over. He doesn't have great speed, is not likely to break one for a big gain, and is not going to be a huge factor in the passing game. What you see is what you get. A tough runner. Willis on the other hand is fast, agile *and* powerful. He has been likened to Bo Jackson by a couple of writers. If true, you have to play him. Special backs like that are few and far between and are what you can build franchises around.

_Ghost_Hackers
08-09-2004, 12:25 AM
I understand that.

What amazes me is when we first drafted McGahee people were going for Tom Donahoe's head. Now we love it??

How can you say Henry is not an Elite back. I always thought in the top 7 of the NFL's 40 + starting backs is an "elite" back. Henry was #5 just a year ago.

He was injured last year and still managed to get 1,300 yards. Personally top 7 or higher is an "elite" back. Henry has recieved that already.

So what happens if McGahee is good? We just dump him

*ARGHH*

That Guy
08-09-2004, 12:40 AM
Naming top 5-7 backs is opinion... there's no set-in-stone rankings by the football gods.

1) Tomlinson
2) Lewis
3) Holmes
4) Green
5) McAllister

These five are definitely above Henry IMO. Almost EVERYONE will also tell you that Portis and Alexander are better (I just don't like them). You could probably even make a case for Marshal Faulk, Fred Taylor, Stephen Davis and Edgerrin James.

It's all opinion.. I'd probably rate him like 7th or 8th skillwise, though.

Shiny Chicken
08-09-2004, 01:29 AM
I love Henry... I'd be excited to have a kind like that normally and would never give him up...

But here's the problem... Henry will never be more than a top 10 back in the NFL in any given year. That's a very good back to have ordinarily.

Unless you have a back that could be top 10-20 of ALL TIME, when he's done. You gotta see what he can do. And if he starts to show signs early that he is a better back than Henry, he should be considered for the starting job.

mypoorfriendme
08-09-2004, 01:48 AM
not to mention mcgahee shattered the miami record book and henry had the third to lowest average YPC for backs over 1,000 yards.

mcgahee is a game breaker and COULD be the type of player thats on the cover of magazines and maddens.

henry is a very solid starter

_Ghost_Hackers
08-09-2004, 01:53 AM
jee - you wouldnt be a McGahee fan would you?

Jan Reimers
08-09-2004, 06:02 AM
Willis has pushed Travis out of his starting spot?????????????????

Because he got more carries in a scrimage?????????????????????

Get a grip, and then look at our depth chart.

Hemlepp53
08-09-2004, 06:32 AM
I'm a huge Henry Fan (I'm A Bills Fan First And Formost.) and the guy won alot of cool points for what he did last season playing hurt and all but I feel Henry is replaceable if and IF only Willis pans out to be an EQUAL back at the NFL level as he was in the College level. I would like to see Willis play back up this season and get a lower end of carries this season just to give him and his knee a chance to settle in the game. Now if and IF Willis comes in on back up and does some Holy ***** type ground attack somewhat like a Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton type stuff I agree we increase his carries and slowly work him into the system. Just my views. Henry Is My Man And If Traded I Will Follow His Career.

Shiny Chicken
08-09-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Hemlepp53
I'm a huge Henry Fan (I'm A Bills Fan First And Formost.) and the guy won alot of cool points for what he did last season playing hurt and all but I feel Henry is replaceable if and IF only Willis pans out to be an EQUAL back at the NFL level as he was in the College level. I would like to see Willis play back up this season and get a lower end of carries this season just to give him and his knee a chance to settle in the game. Now if and IF Willis comes in on back up and does some Holy ***** type ground attack somewhat like a Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton type stuff I agree we increase his carries and slowly work him into the system. Just my views. Henry Is My Man And If Traded I Will Follow His Career.

Completely agree.

Earthquake Enyart
08-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Henry puts the ball on the ground, and you guys will all be screaming for Willis. :meh:

OpIv37
08-09-2004, 10:50 AM
I say we need Henry definitely this year AND next year... players can have a few great games then turn out to be nothing (Rob Johnson, anyone?) and we don't know how Willis' knee is going to hold up long term. If Henry bolts and McGahee's knee gives out in the pre-season, suddenly we're next year's Dolphins.

For now, though, we need to remember that this is a GOOD thing- the Bills have the toughest back in the NFL in Henry and potential greatness in McGahee.