• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cntrygal
    Visually stunning but camera-shy.
    • Jul 2002

Rice meets ex-teammates for first time

It’s hours before kickoff. Jerry Rice is alone on the Coliseum grass, running through his structured warm-up routine. A sprint here, a zigzag there, a stretch in between.

IT’S EXACTLY THE way the 40-year-old receiver has prepared for as long as he can remember, since he came into the league back in 1985 with the San Francisco 49ers. Now, playing with the Oakland Raiders on the other side of San Francisco Bay, he’s set to suit up for his first regular-season game against his old team since leaving after the 2000 season.

MSNBC breaking news and the latest news for today. Get daily news from local news reporters and world news updates with live audio & video from our team.
    Originally posted by notacon
    The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com
  • Cntrygal
    • Jul 2002

Garcia regrets jilting Rice in farewell

Two years later, Jeff Garcia still regards it as one of the most awkward moments of his career. In Jerry Rice's final home game with the 49ers, Garcia completed an NFL-record 20 passes to Terrell Owens in a 17-0 victory over Chicago.

The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
      short bus extraordinaire
      • Jul 2002

i hope he does well.rice is one of the better clas acts in football.
      Originally posted by yordad
      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• MissBuffalo
        Quiddity
        • Jul 2002

They met in the preseason this year, so it technically isn't their first meeting. These people are crazy out here for this matchup. It should be good. I'm just glad it's on after the Bills game.
        See me here pushing you
        If I then deny I do
        Contemplate or wish away
        If I ask you not to stay

Comment

• Cntrygal
          • Jul 2002

Rice loses to old team in first regular-season meeting

Jerry Rice pulled on his dark pinstripe suit in complete silence, the hyped-up reunion with his former team having turned out to be so unspectacular.

The 40-year-old receiver faced the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday for the first time in the regular season since he left for the other side of San Francisco Bay to play for Oakland after the 2000 season.

The Raiders lost 23-20 in overtime for their fourth straight defeat after a 4-0 start, and Rice didn't even spend much time on the field. The 49ers had the ball for the final 30 plays, and all Rice could do was watch.

Comment

• Cntrygal
            • Jul 2002

49ers claimed Bay area bragging rights for the next four years, since the teams aren't scheduled to meet again until 2006...

Expert recap and game analysis of the San Francisco 49ers vs. Oakland Raiders NFL game from November 3, 2002 on ESPN.

Comment

Working...
            X