Cutdown time: What is the right POSITION mix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Cutdown time: What is the right POSITION mix?

Excellent article from our own John Doe. It's a couple of years old, but very good.

There is constant speculation as to how many players will be
    kept at a certain postion on the 53-man roster. Four running backs? Six wide recievers? Five safeties? All you have to do is to look at the mix from last year to see what the philosophy of the front office is as far as the proper balance is concerned.

There are only 53 slots on the roster. Start out by dedicating one spot for a place kicker, one for a punter, and one for the third QB - these are basic assumptions for any team. That leaves 50 spots for the rest of the squad. Also assume a balance for offence and defense - 25 per side. Now we can start our basic analysis by assuming, for the time being, that there are two players for every one of the 11 positions on each side of the ball. That would be 22 men per side, leaving only three spots per side for an extra man at certain postions.

On offense these 3 extra spots are usually allocated as
    follows: tight end, wide reciever, and running back (remember that QB is already covered).

Some teams that run a two-tight end set or an "H-back" set a majority of the time can do with only one fullback. There are some running backs that can play fullback as well, but there are usually no more that five positions slotted between the running back and fullback spots combined.

The offensive line can do without the extra man, and in some cases, it can do with nine spots instead of ten. There is the possibility that one of the O-line spots is occupied by a dedicated "long snapper" unless one of the other linemen or a tight-end can do the job. If there is no dedicated long-snapper and there are a few linemen who can play more than position, it is possible to get along with only nine, and that would free up a spot for an extra man at another postion on the offense. Last year, the Bills went with into the season with 10 on the line and the long snapper was a tight end.

In the case of a 4/3 defense, the 3 extra spots are usually
    allocated as follows: cornerback, linebacker, and one lineman. Last year, the lineman was a tackle. Typically, a big linebacker or a quick tackle can fill in at defensive end for added depth at that spot. One of the linebacking spots usually goes to a good special teams player. A team usually carries five corners in case of injury and for "dime" packages. The strongest corner can usually fill in at a saftey spot in a pinch. It is usually much harder for a safety to fill in at the corner.

Thus, the mix for a Bills' team with a 4/3 defense and a
    standard offense is as follows:

3 QB's

3 Running Backs

2 Full Backs

5 Wide Receivers

3 Tight Ends

10 Offensive Linemen

4 Defensive Ends

5 Defensive Tackles

7 Linebackers

4 Safeties

5 Corners

2 Kickers

This is mix is not set in stone, but it is highly probable
    based on how the team was put together last year.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

• Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

3 QB's - Drew, Brown, Losman
    3 Running Backs - Henry, McGahee, Simonton
    2 Full Backs - Shelton, Lawton
    5 Wide Receivers - Moulds, Evans, Reed, Shaw, Aiken
    3 Tight Ends - Campbell, Euhus, Neufeld
    10 Offensive Linemen - Jennings, Sullivan, Pucillo, Tucker, Teague, Koons, Villarrial, L. Smith, M. Williams, M. Price

4 Defensive Ends - Denney, Kelsay, Schobel, Gildon
    5 Defensive Tackles - Adams, Bannan, Pat Williams, Edwards, Anderson
    7 Linebackers - Spikes, Posey, Fletcher, Stamer, Crowell, Stevenson, Francis
    4 Safeties - Milloy, Reese, Wire, Prioleau
    5 Corners - Clements, Vincent, McGee, Thomas, Greer

2 Kickers

Comment

• That Guy
      • Apr 2004

I agree with a lot of that. However, I think Joe Burns is on the team for sure (bouncing out Lawton or Simonton). I also think that either Antonio Brown or Clarence Coleman is going to make the team. If it's Brown, I'd say that an extra linebacker will be gone. If it's Coleman, I think there'll be the surprise cut of Bobby Shaw.

On the line, I think that Sobieski makes the team.. and possibly also McFarland. This would knock out Lawrence Smith and/or Asa Francis.

Comment

• casdhf
        • Jul 2002

3 QB's - Drew, Brown, Losman
        3 Running Backs - Henry, McGahee, Williams
        2 Full Backs - Shelton, Burns
        5 Wide Receivers - Moulds, Evans, Reed, Shaw, Aiken
        4 Tight Ends - Campbell, Euhus, Neufeld, Peters
        9 Offensive Linemen - Jennings, Sullivan, Pucillo, Tucker, Teague, Sobienski, Villarrial, M. Williams, M. Price

4 Defensive Ends - Denney, Kelsay, Schobel, Gildon
        5 Defensive Tackles - Adams, Bannan, Pat Williams, Edwards, Anderson
        6 Linebackers - Spikes, Posey, Fletcher, Stamer, Crowell, Stevenson
        5 Safeties - Milloy, Reese, Wire, Prioleau, Scrub FS
        4 Corners - Clements, Vincent, McGee, Thomas

2 Kickers - 1 late FA addition

Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
        cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• That Guy
          • Apr 2004

I don't think they'd ever go with four corners... if one were to get hurt we wouldn't have a dime back really. No need for an extra FS... we already have three guys that can play the position.

Comment

• John Doe
            Florida Man
            • Jul 2002

I believe that last year the Bills went with only 2 QB's and 6 wide receivers at the start of the year.

The guy who wrote that article doesn't know what he's talking about.

Comment

• That Guy
              • Apr 2004

Not all teams follow the same mold... that's just a road that the typical team takes.

Comment

• G. Host
                Banned
                • Jul 2002

Situation has changed with practice squad changes.

I think the Bills try to put multiple alternate KR / DB / WR on Practice Squad in case whomever they select fails to perform.

I hope they go like they did last year with 2 QBs and take a chance Drew will be able last until Losman is ready.
                That is one additional slot to use.

Comment

• casdhf
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by John Doe
                  I believe that last year the Bills went with only 2 QB's and 6 wide receivers at the start of the year.

The guy who wrote that article doesn't know what he's talking about.
                  Originally posted by lordofgun
                  Excellent article from our own John Doe. It's a couple of years old, but very good.
                  cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Ingtar33
                    Dances With Buffaloes
                    • Sep 2002

Re: Cutdown time: What is the right POSITION mix?

Just a shot in the dark (from watching one camp practice)

Quarterbacks: Bledsoe: Brown; Losman (cut: Zolman)
                    Running Backs: Henry; McGahee; Williams; Burns (cut: Mitchell; Smith; Simonton)
                    Full Backs: Shelton (cut: Lawton) **Lawton on P.S.
                    Wide Receivers: Moulds; Reed; Evans; Aiken; Coleman (cut: Bonner; Brown; Myers; Shaw; Beard; Haddad) **Beard on P.S.
                    Tight Ends: Campbell; Euhus; Peters (cut: Neufield; Trafford)
                    Offensive Linemen: Jennings; Pucillo; Teague; Villarrial; Williams; Price; Tucker; Sobienski; Dorenbos; Smith (cut: Seals; Koons; McFarland; Sullivan; Porter; Esposito) **Koons on P.S.

Defensive Ends: Kelsay; Schobel; Denney; McKenzie (cut: Spincer; Ritzmann)
                    Defensive Tackles: Williams; Adams; Gibson; Anderson; Edwards (cut: Bannan; Sape)
                    Linebackers: Spikes; Fletcher; Posey; Gildon; Francis; Haggan; Crowell (cut: Stamer; Stevenson; Towns) **Towns on P.S.
                    Safeties: Wire; Milloy; Reese; Prioleau (cut: Graham) **Graham on P.S.
                    Corners: Vincent; Clements; Thomas; McGee; Greer (cut: Richardson; Lamar; Dixson)

Kickers: Moorman; Lindell
                    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Dozerdog
                      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

What does Coleman bring that Shaw does not?

If Aiken goes down or reed gets hurt- I'm a hell of a lot more confident in Shaw than Coleman

Comment

• The Spaz
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog

If Aiken goes down or reed gets hurt- I'm a hell of a lot more confident in Shaw than Coleman
                        It probably depends on how the coaches feel Coleman has come along since last year and Shaw is a finished product Coleman can get better. We'll find out what Coleman has in preseason.

Comment

• casdhf
                          • Jul 2002

I hope Bannan makes this team, I think he can be a solid backup!
                          cas,

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• The Spaz
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by casdhf
                            I hope Bannan makes this team, I think he can be a solid backup!
                            He has been for 3 years now. He need to step up. I think Edwards and Gibson and Anderson are better though.

Comment

• lordofgun
                              in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog

Coleman showed a lot last preseason. He brings youth, and word from training camp is that Shaw has lost a step.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

Working...
                              X