PDA

View Full Version : Gray Updates Defensive Battles

The Spaz
08-11-2004, 03:12 PM
Buffalo Bills Defensive Coordinator, Jerry Gray, sat down with buffalobills.com to update fans on the progress of position battles in training camp. He spoke and offered insight about free safety, defensive end, and the nickel cornerback.

Free Safety

The competition is currently between incumbent starter, Izell Reese, and challengers, Coy Wire and Rashad Baker. Wire has made the move from strong safety and is looking to get back into the starting rotation.

"Izell's been doing a great job," Gray said. "He puts himself into a position to make plays. Coy Wire has been doing a good job. He's been getting closer to the player we need in that position. It's a new position for him. People don't understand that Coy played most of his career close to the line of scrimmage and this is a major adjustment. It's new to him but he's learning. He's been playing there about seven months and he's come a long way. We've also got a young guy in (Rashad) Baker who's been doing a great job. He's been coming on and getting some flashy interceptions. I see this competition being tight between these three guys. Izell's coming on strong and hopefully he can get in there and make this team better."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=2653

Romes
08-11-2004, 03:21 PM
Is it just me or did he say essentially the same thing for all 3 of them and said really nothing? That everyone competeing is doing a good job and the competition is making this team better.

I wish he would have said a little more and told us who was ahead. He only seemed to say that Reese was ahead at FS.

The Spaz
08-11-2004, 03:23 PM
If Wire doesn't get the start then unless Reese that much of an impovement then put Baker in there he seems to be a playmaker.

justasportsfan
08-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Mikey told me that Baker has been making INT's at camp. I saw one last weds. Just like Milloy, I would think Reese would get better after being thrown in there last year. They both have 1 yr. under their belt and I think they will get better.

Wire on the other hand IMO has still to get better in pass coverage. Why Baker has been making INT's at camp and Coy not makes you wonder if Coy will ever get to start before his contract is up. He's a great hitter/tackler but his pass coverge seems to be the reason why he isn't a starter.

juice
08-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
If Wire doesn't get the start then unless Reese that much of an impovement then put Baker in there he seems to be a playmaker.

Reese played well before getting hurt last season.. This defense needs steady play at FS and the addition of Vincint should add to the "Big Play" potential. QB pressure will be a key to creating Interceptions.

Tatonka
08-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by juice
Reese played well before getting hurt last season.. This defense needs steady play at FS and the addition of Vincint should add to the "Big Play" potential. QB pressure will be a key to creating Interceptions.

how many picks has he had as a bill again?.. hell.. how many picks has he had in the last 3 years?

juice
08-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Reese doesn't get Beat Deep.. that is the FS primary responsibility. INT. come from a combination of things including QB pressure.

How many did Winfield have last year? Interceptions do not make a starting DB, coverage ability does and Wire hasn't displayed that ability.

If Wire is such a great hitter and athlete he should try to play CB, Winfield just signed a lucrative deal doing exactly what many of you claim Wire is great at.. He just can't cover anyone and thats why he may turn out to be a wasted pick.

DraftBoy
08-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Wasted pick? Hell no, he's gonna be one hell of a SS one day. He maybe a good FS, I dont happen to think so, but I like the sounds of this Baker kid, will be intresting to see him play Sunday.

juice
08-11-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
Wasted pick? Hell no, he's gonna be one hell of a SS one day.

Too bad it wont be for the Bills, but possibly in the right system because he likes to hit.. he should concentrate on ST, thats how he can make an immediate impact, but with his abilities as a DB TD's "Experiment" with Coy might not pay off while he's under contract with the Bills.

DraftBoy
08-11-2004, 06:09 PM
Well it all depends, how much longer is Coy signed for a 2 more years, and I also think Milloy's contract is up the same year so we will need a new SS, if not Milloy will be beyond his prime and cut material so either way I see him as a Bill, in IMO.

BillsRockSOMUCH
08-11-2004, 06:17 PM
After the 2005 season Milloy's contract runs out and the speculation is we let Milloy go, Wire moves to SS, Vincent moves to FS, and McGee is ready to start at CB.

Michael82
08-11-2004, 09:49 PM
UPDATE: Rashad Baker just had two more interceptions today. One in the morning practice, and then he intercepted JP Losman in the night practice. :up:

He's climbing the depth chart fast. I say Cut Prioleau and move Wire back to SS to backup Milloy. Reese and Baker could be the FS's.

The Spaz
08-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82
UPDATE: Rashad Baker just had two more interceptions today. One in the morning practice, and then he intercepted JP Losman in the night practice. :up:

He's climbing the depth chart fast. I say Cut Prioleau and move Wire back to SS to backup Milloy. Reese and Baker could be the FS's.

Awesome Mikey thanks for the update.:up::beers:

BillsRockSOMUCH
08-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Does this really mean an undrafted free agent could have a real shot at a starting job?

juice
08-12-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by BillsRockSOMUCH
Does this really mean an undrafted free agent could have a real shot at a starting job?

It depends on his coverage abilities and containment which are more important than overall Interceptions in the overall Defensive scheme at FS.

We will get more Interceptions when we are able to bring more pressure up front.

Michael82
08-12-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by BillsRockSOMUCH

No, but Izell Reese could groom him to take over at FS next year. :up:

Earthquake Enyart
08-12-2004, 08:17 AM
"Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denney have been doing a great job," Gray said. "Those guys are friends but they are going to be competing and that's what's going to make our team better. They're real good friends but they know they need to compete against one another at a very high level. It's not like one is a good run stopper and one is a good pass rusher, it's not that at all. They've both been working on pass rushing and on run blocks. When you look at their production, it's about the same. Nobody has really come forth yet and said, 'I want to be the guy.' They're both playing good enough to start but they need to show us who wants it more

:puke:

Blah, blah, blah :blah: Everybody is great. :eek:

juice
08-12-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Mikey82
No, but Izell Reese could groom him to take over at FS next year. :up:

Good Thought.. I would have a problem with starting a Rookie at our last line of Defense but give him some play at FS and bring him along for the future.