PDA

View Full Version : Are the expectations too high for Mcnally

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2004, 10:35 AM
This guy isn't a miracle worker. With Teague and Pucillo on the inside I can't see our line being all that great this year.

SABURZFAN
08-12-2004, 10:38 AM
our OL is atrocious.i expect losman to be taking a few snaps.bledsoe's gonna get killed.

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2004, 10:41 AM
I agree Sab. It seems like everybody was talking about how great our line was going to be because we got Mcnally. He is just a coach. If he doesn't have the players then what can he do?

BigZ
08-12-2004, 11:23 AM
It's still too early to tell. For heaven's sake, they haven't even been in a game together.

It takes time for the chemistry to take. They haven't even had Williams for most of camp.

Give it a chance!

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2004, 11:25 AM
I am not saying he can't mold a good line but it seems as if people are expecting him to put out a pro bowl line when it looks to me like there will be some huge holes!

Ebenezer
08-12-2004, 11:35 AM
There is too much of a demand on him...he is a great coach...he still needs the horses.

juice
08-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
There is too much of a demand on him...he is a great coach...he still needs the horses.

Looks like he has a stable of "Young Colts".. This Line is setting DB up for failure and the team is only a 9-7 team at best.

don137
08-12-2004, 11:43 AM
I do think people expect miracles from him, myself included, since he made Dusty Ziegler and other scrubs into a decent OL with the Giants. Reality, is starting to set in and while he will improve the line there is only so much this guy can do....

justasportsfan
08-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
our OL is atrocious.i expect losman to be taking a few snaps.bledsoe's gonna get killed. You can minimize sacks by pounding the ball if we have to. Our Ol has proven in the past that hey can open holes for Henry. Mularkey has also proven (in Pitts) that he can run the ball and not force a passing game if it's not working becaue A) pass protection is horrible B) our qb is making awful decisions.

If anything , we have the weapons to run the ball. We have the weapons for a great passing game through our wr's but the jury is still out when it comes to pass protection and the qb position.

Drew has shown in the past that when given time, he can be great. He's also proven to make bonehead decisions that can lose a game for us.

We have a good D that is yet to be a weapon through turnovers. We have a decent team to say the least.

Bill Brasky
08-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by zielinski
time for the chemistry to take. They haven't even had Williams for most of camp.

Give it a chance!

This line's been together for a few years and they still suck, yet Bledsoe gets all the blame.

finsrclowns
08-12-2004, 04:30 PM
McNally coached a line with the Giants with some decent to good players and they went to the SB. Last year he had mostly a bunch of bums and the line was directly responsible for the Giants lack of offensive production and Kerry Collins looking like a deer in the headlights. Sound familiar? Garbage in garbage out. I believe a quality coach can improve performance by as much as 10%, which is very significant, but it won't turn a ham sandwich into filet mignon. Adding 10% to Pukey and Shotgun still equals jailbreak IMO.:(

Halbert
08-12-2004, 05:27 PM
Oh come on.

Three of the five starting spots are solid or better, if you include Williams which I think we should since there's a month before camp and he's coming into his third season. They've already made it clear they are comfortable with Teague by not even making an effort to find somebody else. That leaves only Pucillo as the real question mark.

Let's not forget that the Bills swapped a first-ever OL coach with arguably the best one in the league so he'll impact the line to some degree on his own merit.

Sure it's possible the line might "suck", but it's more likely they'll be considerably better than last season. We already know they're pretty good run blockers and that they will be running quite a bit. Pass blocking should improve simply by default.

They'll be fine.

The_Philster
08-12-2004, 05:32 PM
I hope you're right, Halbert...because Bledsoe needs to have a strong O-line, especially in the middle of the line. If he doesn't get a chance to step up in a pocket, he's dead.

finsrclowns
08-12-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
Oh come on.

Three of the five starting spots are solid or better, if you include Williams which I think we should since there's a month before camp and he's coming into his third season. They've already made it clear they are comfortable with Teague by not even making an effort to find somebody else. That leaves only Pucillo as the real question mark.

Let's not forget that the Bills swapped a first-ever OL coach with arguably the best one in the league so he'll impact the line to some degree on his own merit.

Sure it's possible the line might "suck", but it's more likely they'll be considerably better than last season. We already know they're pretty good run blockers and that they will be running quite a bit. Pass blocking should improve simply by default.

They'll be fine.

I'd like to along, check that, I'd LOVE to go along with you on this but I'm stuck in crankysville on the OL and I am most definetely from Missouri on this group. Jennings is a good player but he seems to miss games every year with injury. Mike Williams IMO is no better than Marcus Price until he can pass protect better than he has and missing the mini camps, coming in overweight and now getting hurt is a horrible way to start the year. I'm excited about the addition of Villarial, but was one new face enough on one of the worst overall groups in the league, McNally or no McNally? Consider me a doubter. At some point production has to replace potential. Or not.:mad:

Halbert
08-13-2004, 06:26 PM
Remember, the plan is to stress the running game first and the line was pretty good at that last year already. The Bills had nobody other than Henry to run the ball so the defense could key on him knowing that he'd be taking some plays off. Now that MaGahee is on board they can put him in as a threat to both run and catch. McNally will get them to improve their pass blocking with his skill, but this situation at RB will help them keep the defense much more honest on passing downs.

finsrclowns
08-13-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
Remember, the plan is to stress the running game first and the line was pretty good at that last year already. The Bills had nobody other than Henry to run the ball so the defense could key on him knowing that he'd be taking some plays off. Now that MaGahee is on board they can put him in as a threat to both run and catch. McNally will get them to improve their pass blocking with his skill, but this situation at RB will help them keep the defense much more honest on passing downs.

In almost every successful TD drive there is a play or plays where the other team pretty much knows what you're going to do. Those are the situations that Buffalo's offense was the worst at last year, and somewhat the year before also. 3rd and 1 the Bills had trouble running for a yard when the D was playing run. 3rd and 2 or more the OL could hardly ever protect the QB. More weapons does give the other team more to think about, and the speed of Evans and WM is a big plus, but to compete with the better teams our big 'uns have to at least hold their own against their big 'uns, mano a mano. That's the part I have to see before I believe.

Patti120
08-13-2004, 08:01 PM
I'm definitely worried about the line because they are the difference between us making it or not making it to the next level. McNally will help but I don't see him producing miracles and while I like the Villarial addition, I'm very worried about Mike Williams. I'm even at the point where I wonder if this so-called arch injury is a real injury or if this is some sort of manifestation or even a "sham" injury if you will. I only say that because I question his desire to really play after his preseason. (400 lbs, show's no real work in the off season and these personal issues). but I hope that my fear is not reality...

Anyway, Williams needs to step it up as does the rest of the line or we want to get to the point that we should be with our potential.